Battery drain? Car won't start!

START 'N CHARGE

alternator/starter guy
Established Member
If the battery check outs (holds voltage by itself) ok, I'm going to charge the battery, and pull the wires going to the alt, then hook the battery up and see if it still draws

Good plan,and yes an alternator CAN cause parasitic drain while sitting if it has shorted diode(s).

X3FBrian

Established Member
Alternator is 100% unplugged. Wideband and amps are back hooked up. Only thing different is Wideband power is tapped in with the radio instead of the instrument cluster. Car is reading 12.55 volts after I unplugged the alt and charged it up. Will report back in tomorrow.

X3FBrian

Established Member
12.55 volts unhooked at 9pm last night.

12.15 volts as of 4pm

So from 12.5 to 12.1 in 19 hours. Not sure if the battery is settling down or where it's supposed to be at on these cars.

black-plasma

Established Member
I had a similar problem just after buying my Cobra new in 2002. It was a little electrical box that controls the "timing out" on various components after you shut off the ignition and remove the key.

I've forgotten what it was called. But if I drove the car every five or six days it would start OK. But if I didn't drive it for seven the battery would be dead.

The box was replaced under warranty and I haven't had a problem since.

I hope someone else remembers what the box is called.

GEM module? That is what was draining mine, do yourself a favor OP and have a dealership find the draw for you.

black-plasma

Established Member
I don't remember off hand, but after trying for weeks to figure it out it was worth every penny. I wanna say it was less then $80 for them to run the electrical diagnostic.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
the gem module is known for a couple different failures that result in a battery draw. However, they're generally a low amp draw that would result in the battery taking close to a week to discharge. Several people have found that removing one wire from the gem stops the draw, and doesn't affect anything on the car. That actually worked for me.

black-plasma

Established Member
I'd look for someone parting out a wrecked mustang, the GEM module is the same for all models 99-04 I believe. I got one for free and just paid shipping. My local dealer wanted $250 or something crazy.

X3FBrian

Established Member
New alternator, still draining! Anyone need a stock alternator? lol....It's really not that big of a deal to disconnect and reconnect the battery because I only drive the car a couple times a week but I shouldn't have to do that. Grrrr.....the search continues!

ninty9cobra

Established Member
Make sure you don't have any aftermarket accessories hooked up to the Gem module fuse. This will not let the Gem module go into sleep mode and will drain battery in a couple of days. Lo Jack had hooked my Low Jack system to Gem module fuse and it would drain battery in 2-3 days. Had Lo Jack rewired to different power source and problem solved.

86Fbody

Established Member
I am wondering if my alternator may be bad. I have a termy swapped Fox that has either a drain or the alternator isn't charging. It has a battery disconnect and stays off unless being driven. Is it possible that a parasitic draw could pull from the battery even with the switch off or is is more likely the alternator just isn't charging.

X3FBrian

Established Member
Could be a bad battery? Try charging the battery up and completely disconnecting and measure the voltage over the course of a few days, should stay charged by itself.

X3FBrian

Established Member
I pulled f1.6 underhood fuse and my reading went from 6.1 amps to .25 amp draw when car was asleep. Any insight?

clbailey

Established Member
Subbing for exact same problem. Literally exact. Even got a red top and replaced the alternator. Still get a draw. Even replaced the red top with a new one still has a drain.

Users who are viewing this thread