Bassani Mid-length headers

RKANYZ

Established Member
I also used new factory gaskets. original studs and nuts. didn't drop the k-member. no cats. no MIL eliminators. no SES light yet. very slight leak at collector. sounds mean. I scared the sh!t out of some guy the other day. not too loud if I keep it under 2000rpm

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
I really want those headers. But the install is starting to scare me a little. The main reason being that it would mount up with my x-pipe perfect.

They had an article in MM&FF of the JDM Kooks long tubes and they looked so easy. Each tube was mounted to the heads individually and then joined up with the collectors. All they seemed to need was a lift. No K-member removal or engine lift.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
The long-tubes are pretty loud from what I hear. Louder than I'd want. I'm hoping that as more shops do more Bassani installs the install time will drop a bit, as well as the install cost. We'll probably see other manufacturers come out with headers for the '03 as well.

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
bassani leaks.....

After installing many sets, this is what i have found.......if you already has the bassani x-pipe on BEFORE you installed the headers the clamps being re-used is the culprit.......they don't seal that well, even when new!! I now ALWAYS REPLACE the bassani band clamps with a better design that takes the shape of the pipes as it clamps down........it also has 2 bolts to tighten and covers a wider area.....presto......ZERO LEAKS!!!:beer:

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
herman,

What clamps do you use? When you install them, do you reuse the old gaskets or install new ones?

Is the bassani system 2.5 or 3''?

hpbyhermann

Established Member
Edgewater Maryland, New shop in Beltsville Marylan
Not sure who makes them.....

i can post a pic ....... notice how it takes up all the irregular shapes of the two pipes and conforms.....it actually clamps using equal pressure all around the two pipes!...the bassani x-pipe system is 2 1/2" these clamps are the only way to go in my opinion, i think i paid 15-16.00 each but money well spent in my book for no leaks!!!!!! if i replace the factory steel header gaskets depends on the condition and millage of the car i'm working on.......i like to keep the factory gaskets in-stock just in case i might need to replace them when i remove the manifolds, but in general i rairly replace them.....hope this helps out:beer:

Last edited:

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
Originally posted by svtwillie
yea,

with the horror stories about install I may try and find someone in the Memphis, TN area to do the install...

Any takers??

If you were willing to bring it 4 hrs. to Ft.Smith, AR I would do it for $400. :beer:

TwoToneFreak

MMMM, Spintechs!!
Established Member
I have been interested in some clamps like that as mine now is a custom set up that I built when I worked for Meineke and the intermediate pipes are just welded to the X, makes clutch jobs a little aggraviting not being able to take the X out of the way. But most clamps like that I have found distorted the pipe way to much for my liking and those do seem like the best. Thanks for posting those.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Re: here's the pic.....

Originally posted by hpbyhermann
I think there pretty special.......they work where others didn't.....makes it worth it to me!!!:beer:

So maybe I missed something. Where again did you get yours? Looks like it is well worth the $15!

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
toofast4u posted earlier that Summit has them for $8.50.
Summit Racing sells them they are made by Walker which is owned by Dynomax and are called Mega-Clamp you want the 3" Lap Clamp Stainless WLK-33272 and are 8.50/each.

They may also be available locally. Try parts stores that specialize in truck parts first. I have used them many times on heavy truck exhaust systems. They are stainless steel and stretch as they are tightened. As long as the metal clamps more than it stretches, you're in good shape. They are not all equal though.

Dana

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Re: i get them from my local chassis guy

Originally posted by hpbyhermann
Not a clue who makes them, but i can get'm if you guys want... have only needed 2 per install......the ones behind the cats seem to seal up for some reason.........hope this helps out......hermann:beer:

hermann,

I just ordered 8 of the dynomax 2.5 clamps from summit. If they still leak, I'll shoot you a pm and get a few of the clamps you use.

Nothing sounds crappier than an exhaust leak.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread