Bassani Mid-length headers

svtwillie

Established Member
Yea I read it when he first posted. I thought we might have a few more. In the August issue of 5.0 mustang and superfords the said "these are the easiest modular headers we've ever installed" If 8 hours is norm what were the hardest....

n2fords2003

Established Member
oh well, Im in the real world and I have done the install twice. IT sucks!! Everyone says that you can do them without removing the k-member. Well I cant! It is less trouble to drop the k-member than work around it. It only took me an hour to drop it and then the whole bottom of the motor is wide open. Its a much nicer install. I tried to do it without removing the k-member but I couldnt even get the factory headers off. Directions state too remove motor mounts and jack motor a little but it wasnt good enough. Anyway, its a pain in the ass. Take your time. Maybe maker it a 2 day job. The sound is louder and hollow. HP IS THE BEST FOR THE MONEY.

Last edited:

svtwillie

Established Member
n2fords2003,

thanks, I have not had my 03 up on the rack. Is the front suspension attached to the K-member? If I remember right the steering rack is attached and the front sway would have to be removed but what else...?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I'd like to get a set but I think I'll wait until next Spring because the local install shop will have done a couple more installs by then. I heard Bassin247's set. Sweet!
:burnout:

svtwillie

Established Member
yea,

with the horror stories about install I may try and find someone in the Memphis, TN area to do the install...

Any takers??

n2fords2003

Established Member
if you want to bring it to Chattanooga, I will do it for $350. That might be cheap. I got a price of $800 to installing a full exhaust system (with headers) a few years ago on a 2000 GT

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
350 is a deal and a half. I paid the dealer 300 with the damn motor out of tge car.

Several shops in my area wanted 400-600.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
n2fords2003,
Just out of curiosity, after dropping the K-Member, does the front end require an alignment?
I have yet to do this (drop the k-member for any reason) and although I considered it when I did the headers, it looked like it would add a lot of work to an already difficult job.
If the k-member was coming out for another reason, then that would be the time to do the install because it would definitely help.

I think I should add that had the car been on a lift of some type the job could have been a little shorter. It is time consuming to keep crawling out from under the car to get a tool you forgot to bring underneath with you.
A lift and having done the job before could shave a couple of hours off the time. But how many people are going to do it more than once? or have a lift?

Dana

Jim Vaccaro

Established Member
What gaskets and bolts should be used?? The only Bassani Mid lenths i saw that were installed leaked badly..How are yours??

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by Jim Vaccaro
What gaskets and bolts should be used?? The only Bassani Mid lenths i saw that were installed leaked badly..How are yours??
Interesting that you mention leaks. Bassin247 believes he may have some leaks. He was going back to Tasca Ford yesterday to get the system tightened down. I'd for sure want to know more about leaks before I committed to installing them.

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
I purchased new gaskets from Ford for the install. I figured it was cheap insurance. I used the original studs and nuts.

No obvious leaks so far, but I plan on checking a little more thoroughly this week. I did have a very minor leak at the front of the driver's side cat, but figured that one would stop by itself.
If they leak, it's not the fault of the headers. Bassani does warn you to go back and check for leaks after running them for a while, which, I guess, is a good idea. Heat can do strange things to metal.
Since the bolts are so difficult to access, insuring that they are initially tightened sufficiently is even more difficult.
Dana

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sounds like the standard deal should be to return to the installer a week after the install to have everything tightened and the system checked for leaks at that time. That's pretty much what Bassin247 is doing.

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
Bob, I sent an email to bassani asking about the gas smell and they said it's not the headers and to check for a gas leak. When I was under the car I didn't smell any gas. Hmmmm. If there was a cat problem, I would of tripped the 02 sensor. We will see.

Dana, I had a small leak at the cat even after replacing the clamp. toofast4u is using some nice clamps he got from Jegs. I'm gonna get them.

Pic of clamp here.. http://www.svtperformance.com/forum...4249&perpage=25&highlight=clamps&pagenumber=4

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by bassin247
Bob, I sent an email to bassani asking about the gas smell and they said it's not the headers and to check for a gas leak. When I was under the car I didn't smell any gas. Hmmmm. If there was a cat problem, I would of tripped the 02 sensor. We will see.
Hmmm. That's interesting because we definitely smelled gas. Maybe it was from the GT 'R' next to you.
:lol1:

Dana

Bluesmobile
Established Member
Bassin,
Depending on how much stretch those clamps have built ino them, they may be the answer. The Bassani ones are decent, but two bolt ones would have been better.
I am going to recheck all the connections this week, so I'll see where I'm at in that area soon enough.
Thanks for the tip on the clamp.

BTW,
The new headers give off a terrible smell for a few hours/days after the install. Probably has something to do with the coating and any oil on the pipes and if you got all of those styrofoam thingys out of the inside of the pipes. HA!HA!

Dana

bassin247

hates reposts
Established Member
I checked all the pipes for those packing peanuts before the dealer put them on. I'm sure they would of installed them with the headers.

I installed 4 new bassani clamps, including 1 on the leaking pipe and it's still leaking. The pipe sticking out of the cat is very short. It almost looks like they cut it too short.

I'll check back in a week or so regaurding the smell. Dyno results on Satturday.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Best of luck Mike. I'm sure you'll find the source sooner or later.

Johnny Random

SVT Monster
Established Member
Originally posted by bassin247
Hmmmm. If there was a cat problem, I would of tripped the 02 sensor. We will see.

I didn't even have my cats on for a couple of days and that did not trip the 02 sensor.

Just a thought.

Users who are viewing this thread