Bassani exhaust RESTORE/POLISH

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
I just did mine...But did not polish it and do all the 500,1000,1500 process...Maybe some other time... Got it down to straight SS finish...Looks clean! But at it since 9am til 3pm!!! Fawk!!! Not completely finish nor satisfied with the tips and I only did the rear section behind the mufflers... Shyt! I can imagine the entire exhaust... That would take DAYS!
Picture078.jpg

Picture076.gif

Picture077.gif

Picture079.gif

Picture080.gif

Picture081.gif

Picture082.gif

Picture083.jpg

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
another thing...I noticed everyone elses exhaust S's lay level and dead even with the floor... My driver side kinda tilts and if I tried to turn it to level it, it would hit the gear housing in the rear...??? Confussed???

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
another thing...I noticed everyone elses exhaust S's lay level and dead even with the floor... My driver side kinda tilts and if I tried to turn it to level it, it would hit the gear housing in the rear...??? Confussed???
Try this, loosen the catback at the midpipe and place a floor jack under the xpipe and slowly jack up then tighten exhaust down. It worked for mine:beer:

I just did mine...But did not polish it and do all the 500,1000,1500 process...Maybe some other time... Got it down to straight SS finish...Looks clean! But at it since 9am til 3pm!!! Fawk!!! Not completely finish nor satisfied with the tips and I only did the rear section behind the mufflers... Shyt! I can imagine the entire exhaust... That would take DAYS!

It only took me 4 or 5 hours to polish. You are just cleaning yours and doing it the hard way. You could have polished it in the time you cleaned it:dw:

Last edited:

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
#1 Thanks!

#2 No Crap!... Trial and Error... LOL! yeah! lots of wk for lil result... I am very picky and do everything with baby steps... But, I will take it back down and do the sanding steps as listed above... 500,1000,1500 and see how that goes...

... at least the rear sectionshould be pretty ez nx time without fightin any grime... Still looks pretty good... can eat off it!

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
#1 Thanks!

#2 No Crap!... Trial and Error... LOL! yeah! lots of wk for lil result... I am very picky and do everything with baby steps... But, I will take it back down and do the sanding steps as listed above... 500,1000,1500 and see how that goes...

... at least the rear sectionshould be pretty ez nx time without fightin any grime... Still looks pretty good... can eat off it!

Very true trial and error is the best way to learn but can be costly, it is def clean though, when you polish it you'll be amazed:thumbsup:

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
I pretty much amazed already! HUGE difference as you can tell by the before n after pics! That BAR KEEPERS FRIEND is a real wonder!!! No Abrasion! JUST CLEAN! Part #2 to follow at a later date... Thanks for the tip and help guys! I'll get it nice a BLING BLING soon!

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Maybe a EXHAUST shop locally, shouldn't be much $$$... I personally need the Exhaust tip exit hanger bracket on the driver side... I have the rubber but the braket is twisted and its bothering me...LOL! (pickey!!!)... Unless I find someone parting out a Cobra/Mustang...

Last edited:

getTwisted

I Remember My First Beer.
Established Member
I'm getting ready to do mine, but very afraid I won't get the exhaust back on straight... and it is sitting perfect now!

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
Getting the exhaust back on straight is EASY, just have a second set of eyes and adjust it by twisting and tightening the bolts connecting the catback to the midpipe.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
I basically rec'd the same tip... But also a small floor jack might help to in the process... Check the thread BASSANNI RESTORE/POLISHED ...

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
OK... There's just about NOTHING in the car industry that looks better then a 03-04 Cobra "Terminator" with some fat a$$ wide tires sitting low with a polished exhaust snaking around the IRS and exiting to the polished tips... Anyone else agree???

Agree. I love looking at mine from across the parking lot.

the_cone_013.JPG

GSPsnFORDs

Established Member
I bought a set of used Borlas with about 10k on them for a good price. Only problem was that they were on a daily driver car and looked aweful. All it took was 2 nights with about 2-2.5 hrs of work each night. Here were my steps (must credit 04Sleeper for his experience): 1) spray and soak with bug & tar remover 2) used a "sanding sponge" (can get this at wal-mart) to knock off tar chunks and general grit on pipes (DO NOT use on the tips!!! Polish tips with your favored chrome polish...DO NOT sand!) 3) wet sand starting with 400 then 800, 1000, 1200, 1500. 4) Hand polished with Mother's Mag Polish to remove any remaining oxidation. 5) Polished with a drill mounted buffing wheel using Blue Magic. 6) Polished with Adam's 2 step polishing compounds 7) install and do a quick wipe down/polish. See the pics for before and after. Don't have the best on-car pics here but this will do.

Test area to see what I was getting myself into.
Borla_Stingers_04.gif

Half finished vs. what I started with.
Borla_Stingers_07.gif

Again but closer.
Borla_Stingers_08.gif

One finished vs. what I started with. I did have the weld around the tip and mufflers buffed up better.
Borla_Stingers_09.gif

Again with a close up.
Borla_Stingers_10.gif

One finished vs. one half finished...tip still soaking.
Borla_Stingers_13.gif

Looking new.
Borla_Stingers_15.gif

Installed.
Borla_Stingers_17.gif

Borla_Stingers_18.gif

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
I bought a set of used Borlas with about 10k on them for a good price. Only problem was that they were on a daily driver car and looked aweful. All it took was 2 nights with about 2-2.5 hrs of work each night. Here were my steps (must credit 04Sleeper for his experience): 1) spray and soak with bug & tar remover 2) used a "sanding sponge" (can get this at wal-mart) to knock off tar chunks and general grit on pipes (DO NOT use on the tips!!! Polish tips with your favored chrome polish...DO NOT sand!) 3) wet sand starting with 400 then 800, 1000, 1200, 1500. 4) Hand polished with Mother's Mag Polish to remove any remaining oxidation. 5) Polished with a drill mounted buffing wheel using Blue Magic. 6) Polished with Adam's 2 step polishing compounds 7) install and do a quick wipe down/polish. See the pics for before and after. Don't have the best on-car pics here but this will do.

Test area to see what I was getting myself into.
Borla_Stingers_04.gif

Half finished vs. what I started with.
Borla_Stingers_07.gif

Again but closer.
Borla_Stingers_08.gif

One finished vs. what I started with. I did have the weld around the tip and mufflers buffed up better.
Borla_Stingers_09.gif

Again with a close up.
Borla_Stingers_10.gif

One finished vs. one half finished...tip still soaking.
Borla_Stingers_13.gif

Looking new.
Borla_Stingers_15.gif

Installed.
Borla_Stingers_17.gif

Borla_Stingers_18.gif
That looks ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!! what a GREAT job you did there!!! AND scoring a cheap exhaust mod for a priceless look!!! A+

04sleeper

Runs On "Liquid Gold"
Super Moderator
Nice Job!!! :rockon:

Here's a couple pics of mine for more examples.

183442.jpg

242820.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread