Bassani exhaust RESTORE/POLISH

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
OK... as some know .... the car is down (clutch) and parts are on their way... While the car has no wheels & tires (today they arrive/FR500's Black/Chrome finish) and its jacked up, I figured I would get under and dis-assemble the exaust for cleaning and possible even polishing....There's just about NOTHING in the car industry that looks better then a 03-04 Cobra "Terminator" with some fat a$$ wide tires sitting low with a polished exhaust snaking around the IRS and exiting to the polished tips... Anyone else agree??? Tip on how to acheive this look and pics please...THANKS!:banana::dancenana:

Last edited:

x NOODLES x

Big Hitter da LLama!
Established Member
I did mine this last summer and just wish I'd done it sooner.

There are plenty of tips in the show/shine forum, but what I did was start w/ a 400 grit, and then 1200,1500, and finally 2000 to finish. Then I shined it up w/ a mothers ball and some polish. Might not be the best possible way, but it worked great for me. Also I had a spray bottle of water layin around and it seemed to help some as well.

Jefe

Established Member
Post some pics before and after. Thinking about doing this if I keep my Bassani's

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
Winter rims and tires are on the car. But basically this is what it looks like now after just a wash and a light coat of polish.

I sanded the crap out of it last year to get it to this point though.

dsc01839.jpg
[/IMG]

Jefe

Established Member
What if you dont have the stainless steel catback?

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
I don't even know what finish I have on my Bassani... But... I wanna dooooooeeeeeeetttt!!! Possibly to start this weekend... I will post pics of the progress from start to finish...

FlaSeaDude

Building a Perfect Beast
Established Member
OK... There's just about NOTHING in the car industry that looks better then a 03-04 Cobra "Terminator" with some fat a$$ wide tires sitting low with a polished exhaust snaking around the IRS and exiting to the polished tips... Anyone else agree??? Tip on how to acheive this look and pics please...THANKS!:banana::dancenana:

Yep, agree:

2294362CobraRear-Mar08.jpg

I sanded mine with 500, 1000, and 1500 grit sandpaper and then polished it with Mother's polish.

When I drop the gas tank this weekend to install my fuel system upgrades I'll also be replacing the fuel tank cover with one that is painted to match the car...
:beer:

Last edited:

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
^ lol! Yeah... I don't know what the hell dat iz either... FLORIDA!!!

Last edited:

ditchsnake

Established Member
keep us posted

I've got my tank down now and am going to polish my borla catback too. I agree that shiney is good. Mine has yellowed and don't even have 3000 miles on it. Maybe time makes them yellow to. They have been on for three years.

V6&V8SHO

Established Member
What are those? :shrug:

And what's that white stuff on the ground? :lol1:

Don't like winter beaters and the Cobra drives awesome everyday. So I drive. Down the road after I finish school I'll find myself that garage queen 04 that I plan to have.

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
I just reach under and give it a good once over with Bar Keepers Friend every couple of months. Takes 5 minutes and makes the SS look new....

ravenknight

Never enough
Established Member
I did the same steps that flaseadude did, but used never dull to help the process I since sold it to noodles. :sad:
Not polished
family1442_original.jpg

heres off the car
exhast_004_original.jpg

on the car
ebay_014_original.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread