BAMA tune dyno tested!

Voltwings

Established Member
OK SMM, understood and thanks for a response with a legit comparison. I will look at the timing some more.
Question though, was the extra power you got returned in lower e.t. (tune adjustment only)
Im not spending more money on more tuning without adding something else to the car, which will be sooner than later for sure!

VOLT... Im guessing you must of breezed through here without paying attention, I WAS WANTING TO PAY FOR ANOTHER TUNE. also i wanted to see if tune was safe. I was advised to not tune it cause it looked good for what i have, could i have paid 500 bucks for 15 more horsepower, sure. would that be worth it? and i was at elevation would the tune be right on when i got home? maybe not.
Point is raggedy ass bama tune made 400 hp at that time and place. check over in tuning section i saw a e85 car with less hp and a GODtuned car with more mods making 15 or so more. just on first page.

I'll admit i stopped reading after your first few posts mouthing off about lining up and wrecking people or whatever. I gave my experiences with bama so you, or other people, can take it or leave it.

Z25OH

WINGING IT
Established Member
. check over in tuning section i saw a e85 car with less hp and a GODtuned car with more mods making 15 or so more. just on first page.

could have been anything....dynos dont read the same all across the board. Diff dyno types, atmospheric conditions, how its calibrated all affect numbers. To many variables....its just a tuning tool

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
My Bama tuned car runs fine.

My only gripe is the low speed driveability with my Bama tune, my cars real twitchy in 1st gear going through parking lots and my parking garage. However, i was knocking too, about 4* consistantly ^^.

Dude..... you say it runs fine, then you say it has low speed issues and it knocks....

Also these cars don't run fine stock, they can't even out run 03/04 cobras :nonono:

I had Bama, steeda, and ended up liking the AED one the best.

But it's just advice, use whatever ****ing tune you want to use.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Dude..... you say it runs fine, then you say it has low speed issues and it knocks....

Also these cars don't run fine stock, they can't even out run 03/04 cobras :nonono:

I had Bama, steeda, and ended up liking the AED one the best.

But it's just advise, use whatever ****ing tune you want to use.

Sarcasm fail on my part. Saying it doesn't take much to "feel good" when it "feels good" to begin with.

5.0 Silverback

Established Member
There have been sporadic issues yes, and some seemingly unfix-able even after multiple data-logging. Those issues seem to be occurring after tuning with multiple bolt-ons.
Bama may not make the best gains but isn't as bad as many of you make it out to be. Ive heard they've recently made a lot of positive revisions with their tunes lately based off of multiple data-logs and issues from the past. There was even a recent thread where some dude was switching to AED from Bama and after Shaun dynoed the Bama car, he said everything looked fine and safe...

Wow... interesting thread so far. Lots of anger.

I am that person.

Even though he said the BAMA tune was "safe for now" for a techinical standpoint. The car was still running somewhat lean and not making optimal power. Part of that was because my Exhaust issue. The other part was the BAMA tune.

BAMA is good. But nothing is going to beat a custom Dyno tune. Everyone can aruge till they are blue in the face but experience shows that only a handful of people are truly happy with there BAMA tune. While the other 90% are left wanting more or just don't know any better.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
Heres the problem, I wouldn't have went off if you weren't popping up with cocky nut swinging comments that make you look like a complete idiot. So to clear up some things, I've always had an auto and have always been told to stick with a drag radial, not a slick. Didn't you say yourself DR's for Autos and Slicks for Manuals? That was a legit question on my part, not talking shit when I said "Isnt it worse", If I were talking shit it would've read " #Uck you, You dumb basturd, Drag radials are better on a rear end in an AUTO vs Slicks". So instead of talking random shit to people I don't know shit about and throwing comments around world wide that I would outrun any X tuned car, I asked, not just commented sounding like a cocky basturd bashing someone who made a thread because they were proud of their numbers, as he should have been. I'm not talking about E85 and a 150 shot, I'm talking tune for tune, put premium fuel in your car and let it run on motor, vs a bama tuned car. I can't help if you bolt on friend had a factory dud or couldn't drive/hook.

The guy I bought my Xpipe from makes the comment that its all about dyno racing basically? Wtf? Most of my posts consisted of real bama tuned E/Ts at the track compared to other members numbers on the forums with different tunes.. My car bone stock ran a best of an 8.80, With just a bama tune and CAI, it went from 8.80s to a 7.99. With a new bama tune with 4.10s and X pipe it went from 7.99 to a 7.68, and that's with street tires. Any other guys running different tunes want to post their 1/8th mile times with 2 second 60fts figured into the equation?

Edit: Also, Are you saying/bragging that you outrun a "full bolt-on" bama tuned car with yours on e85 and a 150 shot? So you think the tune is what made the difference there?

Last edited:

helli217

Established Member
OP, decent numbers, glad you're happy with the tune.

Alot of these members have been through the shit with Bama tunes, so you have to understand where they are coming from with their negativity towards them. If you were faced with the news that you had been given a "shitty" tune, you'd feel the same.

Also, alot of the members posting in this thread are actually trying to help. What they are explaining about the ignition timing vs cam timing is this: Bama tunes have shown to demand lots of ignition timing. Too much results in knock, knock sensors pulling that timing, etc.etc., less power, more dangerous. Certain other tuners use more cam timing changes to make power vs cranking ignition timing. Since you posted your timing is being pulled (knock), you are backing up the claims. The tune may be fairly safe as it is, but you could have more power on the table with a SAFER tune. This is what everyone is saying, in one way or another.

If you;'re happy, keep the tune and enjoy it. Shit, I currently run a Bama tune with my airiad intake, but I will be switching to AED once I get my O/R/X for a datalogged tune.

Badlilstang

Established Member
For what it's worth a guy I got some parts from locally ran great times with a Bama tune.. Tune , cai and ORX in an auto went 12.20s on factory 19s.. now this is a great time for those mods but he told me don't ever EVER use them.. it wasn't the power or times that was the problem.. apparently the driveability of his tune sucked badly. Enough that he finally went and had someone else tune his ride. I am not bashing.. just repeating what he told me his experience was with his Bama Tune. Some have no issues and some do.. one thing about a forum is you normally hear more about the negative outcomes because ppl get pissed and need to vent lol. OP if you are happy with your times and the way it drives that is all that matters. There is really no need to come in here and try to tell the haters they are wrong.. that type of thing never works out.

coyoteugly5.0

Established Member
And I can appreciate the people trying to help, Heck, My first post was giving him props, and then telling him about some problems I had with bama as well, I wasn't arguing it takes a few datalogs to get them to get the tune dialed in, but that their performance aspect of the game is pretty much on point, and I don't see that any other tune would outperform it to the point that you would nationally say you would drag anybody based of the tune on their car.. that's stupid.

Look at smm 's first post in this thread, He's replying to a guy that's excited and happy enough with his bama tune that's dyno test proven with some bull shit like your shit sucks mines better I'll drag any bama tuned car. Let me see your "Badass" data logs? Full of arrogance and sarcasm for no called reason?

hoodley

Established Member
I wouldn't be happy with those numbers but if OPs happy then whatever.

what number would u be happy with? since u have same mods basically? and whats your car run?

OH and btw. noone here is hurting my feelings trust me i got thick skin, im sure i can you have you guys ready to beat my ass before its I stop talking sh*t!

Constructive criticizm* is fine with me i understand BAMA aint the best but its cute watching these nutswingers hate!
I am the last guy you will find dyno racing for sure!! it was there i took advantage of it.
But yall wanna come on down to Carolina Dragway, You will not back me down! not saying im fastest but I sure as shit know my place and it aint in the bleachers!!!

5PNTSLW

Back on the Saddle
Established Member
I'm going the Bama route... until I'm done modding. Then it'd AED Kool aid time. I'm fine with less power for now. And free updates til I'm done is great. But AED has always been my end game plan.
On a side note, can't we just use our tuner to pull out some timing and add some fuel if need be? Sounds dumb, but I haven't put my parts on yet since the car is in hibernation and not here at the house.

While it sounds like a good plan, probably not the best in the long run. If you constantly run a tune that hurts the motor, over time you will pay for it. Switching to another tuner will ensure your motor and tune are safe. I have not used BAMA, but just from some of the threads i have seen on here i wouldn't use them anyway.

You can adjust timing in the handheld, but it is global, not RPM specific.

dead man walkin

Established Member
This thread is so full of "I heard from one guy, who read this one thing, somewhere from s girlfriends brother" I ran bama for 3 years and data logged, so I have seen the numbers with my own eyes, even on 93 race tune it commands 24.. During wot I have recorded 29 degrees timing, that is being done by the car and is based on quality of fuel. This engine with its wide band will wring out all the power it can till it hits the ceiling, it's how it works, unless you datalog your self and saw 30 degrees of timing and it wasn't an e85 tune stop with your little hearsay. All that being said, recently I went O/R exhaust, bama tuned it perfect, however when inspection time comes around I'm going to contact AED because their tune shows the rear 02 as ready. And I will give a 100% truthful account of tunes. Honestly I expect zero difference in driving

AMDanBailer

me and the dyno tuner are both quite impressed, he said I don't need to charge you to change anything, it looks good.
COOOOOOLLLLL! so all the haters can suck it BAMA aint to shabby.
12 m6 with airraid cai bama tune, o/r X borla axle backs. 93 octane
She put down 397hp and 384tq

Hey,

As mentioned before, and like many others have said, those are some good numbers! I'm pleased to hear these worked out for you, and glad you held us accountable by running it on the dyno. These are some great tunes and I think your run on the dyno proves it.

Everyone will have different opinions as far as the best tunes go, and yes there is bound to be someone out there who getting an extra horse or two out of the engine. Overall though for the mods you have your car performed better than a ton of other cars out there with the same mods and tunes. We stand behind these tunes 100% and feel they are the best combination of reliability and performance that can be offered.

Once again, thank you for the great feedback, and if you have any questions or need anything feel free to get back in touch. Enjoy!

-Dan

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
Hey,

As mentioned before, and like many others have said, those are some good numbers! I'm pleased to hear these worked out for you, and glad you held us accountable by running it on the dyno. These are some great tunes and I think your run on the dyno proves it.

Everyone will have different opinions as far as the best tunes go, and yes there is bound to be someone out there who getting an extra horse or two out of the engine. Overall though for the mods you have your car performed better than a ton of other cars out there with the same mods and tunes. We stand behind these tunes 100% and feel they are the best combination of reliability and performance that can be offered.

Once again, thank you for the great feedback, and if you have any questions or need anything feel free to get back in touch. Enjoy!

-Dan

These posts are so comical for those that have a clue.

FivePointOmg

BOSS 302 #1853
Established Member
I dyno'd 416whp/394wtq on a dyno that consistently reads low...93 oct with Steeda CAI and Lethal catless X...NOT Bama tuned...Pretty sure I'd walk any similar mod'd Bama car.... :)

Cowboytk

Grey Ghost
Established Member
Sorry to resurrect an old thread but o.p do you know what your afr was as well as your spark advance...the reason I ask is my most recent tune from bama showed an afr of 1.04 and 29.5 degrees of timing at 7k rpm..this was the revised tune btw.

Users who are viewing this thread