BAMA tune dyno tested!

dead man walkin

Established Member
Good numbers OP. Yeah.. don't worry about those Florida guys. Once the bath salts wear off he'll be ok.. what was that video supposed to show??

hoodley

Established Member
OK, some yall done bumped yur heads. or been sippin on some good whiskey last night, as was i!

but lets get some shit straight! Dont sit here and say you will beat any bama tuned car anywhere, thats stupid, a tune dont account for everything. and you guys that are saying that have more money invested and mods than I do! You sit just like me, BRING IT. none of yall do so hush!
That dyno or this dyno does not put down low e.t. so i dont wanna hear it.
One of yall said dynos are a tuning tool. and that is all it is, I had my car put on dyno to make sure all was safe and if more could be had. The man said your tune looks good. He could have easily said, give me 200 more dollars and i will try to make you a piece of paper with a bigger number on it, but he did not do that! I dont have eqpt or even know exactly how to datalog so i asked him and paid him to do so.

I would happily have paid more to have him to tune it and make more power but he didnt advise it
I live and race my local track at 280 feet elevation, ATlanta dragway is 1100 ft elevation! may affect dyno numbers??? I would imagine, could I datalog and make more power yea probably, would it make enough to make car go faster IDK? He didnt think there was a need to change it safely to make more power and I respect that.

And the whole slick and drag radial crap can go somewhere too. I will run you on street tires. My shit is too weak to make enough power to spin remember.

dirtyd88

Much Wow!
Established Member
All this arguing, and I'm just sitting here like

z8gWA.png

But seriously, the numbers are about in line with what should be seen, maybe a tad lower, but that is understandable with as conservative as some Bama tunes are. However, I too would like to see a datalog posted to see if your timing and knock readings are way out of whack like Bama tunes are known for.

5.0jake

Established Member
I had a bama tune when I started modding my car and like I have stated before it ran strong and drove fine. What scared me was the timing and knock it was seeing. Then I moved to aed and became a believer.

There have been sporadic issues yes, and some seemingly unfix-able even after multiple data-logging. Those issues seem to be occurring after tuning with multiple bolt-ons.
Bama may not make the best gains but isn't as bad as many of you make it out to be. Ive heard they've recently made a lot of positive revisions with their tunes lately based off of multiple data-logs and issues from the past. There was even a recent thread where some dude was switching to AED from Bama and after Shaun dynoed the Bama car, he said everything looked fine and safe...

Jday14

Established Member
This really escalated quickly lol! Nice numbers op pretty cool of the tuner to not try and make any money off of you!

hoodley

Established Member
Again, I was surprised he didnt want to change anything.
I was just trying to point out, the tune is good. it is SAFE. The knock sensors were pulling timing b/c of fuel. He said all of it looks good.
Suggested i could mix 93 and race fuel to keep a little more timing.
I think the slightly low numbers are from altitude, if not o well. the car is pretty quick!

SVTORANGE

Established Member
I was just trying to point out, the tune is good. it is SAFE. The knock sensors were pulling timing b/c of fuel. He said all of it looks good.
I think the slightly low numbers are from altitude, if not o well. the car is pretty quick!

All that matters at the end is that your happy - go out and enjoy your power

Spoolingbyu

Established Member
BAMA right there. Shitty tune. It's seeing knock and pulling timing and your tuner told you and he said it was good. You just verified what every one asking for a data log wanted to see. You are making less power than you should be and you are okay with it.

scott9050

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
Use Bama 93R on my basically stock car, went from 109.99 best trap to 113.71 (same day). When I get my full exhaust done I will get a real tune done.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
BAMA right there. Shitty tune. It's seeing knock and pulling timing and your tuner told you and he said it was good. You just verified what every one asking for a data log wanted to see. You are making less power than you should be and you are okay with it.

My point exactly. Everyone knows the real deal when you look at a BAMA log, aggressive timing and knock activity, sometimes very lean. Ive said it a million times, BAMA had my beater knocking and on the same tank of gas Shaun gave me a more power tune, that showed no knock. Why? Cam timing, and not so aggressive timing. Lets not mention the car just flat out drove better and idled better. I even gave BAMA multiple attempts to fix these issues, they made it apparent they couldnt.

Trust me, if I could have saved the $250 I paid Shaun I would have loved to, however I just couldnt sleep at night knowing my car was programmed with aggressive timing and knocking.

For those of you that wish to run BAMA tunes, by all means go ahead. Just know I will be there to say I told you so......and you will continue to get your ass cracked by any non BAMA tuned car LOL.

Ive seen threads of people modding and losing power with BAMA, lets face it they don't get every pony out for every mod you make.

Best of luck to those of you who continue to feel the need to rock out on BAMA!:p

hoodley

Established Member
so you are saying its bad that knock sensors are pulling time? u would rather it keep timing in it? i belive the fuel ws causing it to pull timing, idk though.
i think it was 25 degrees base timing. im no expert on this stuff, but im pretty sure it better to pull timing and not detonate on pump gas.

Sick_Mustang

Established Member
so you are saying its bad that knock sensors are pulling time? u would rather it keep timing in it? i belive the fuel ws causing it to pull timing, idk though.
i think it was 25 degrees base timing. im no expert on this stuff, but im pretty sure it better to pull timing and not detonate on pump gas.

No, the knock sensors are obviously doing their job. However, it shouldn't be seeing knock in the first place. The reason it is seeing knock is because of the aggressive timing in the BAMA tune. BAMA relies on the knock sensors to remove timing if it ends up being too much for your motor. I wouldn't use more than 25ish on pump gas.

However people have seen BAMA tunes try for 31 degrees! I think mine was actually around 30, and knocked like crazy.

It could be fuel related also, but the timing is still far too much for pump gas, so even if you had the best 93, it would still knock. Like I said my car was knocking like crazy on my BAMA tune, and Shaun turned around and gave me a non knocking tune with more power ON THE SAME TANK OF GAS!

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
My Bama tuned car runs fine. You have to consider you're starting with a 420 hp car to begin with, lol stock the damn thing runs fine. That being said, i have a buddy who dynod his boss bone stock at 381 whp. Fully bolted, Air raid CAI, 90mm TB, bbk shorty headers and catless X-pipe on a bama tune it made 400, same dyno... fully bolted and picked up 20 whp? No deal lol, a few minutes from a custom tuner at that shop and the Boss was at 430. Bama tunes are canned tunes, they're just designed to get your car running, and nothing more. If thats all you want then thats great, but dont come in here toating like you're rocking a badass tune lol because you're not. Besides, unless you have a stock baseline number this dyno is 100% useless, its just a number.

My only gripe is the low speed driveability with my Bama tune, my cars real twitchy in 1st gear going through parking lots and my parking garage. However, i was knocking too, about 4* consistantly ^^.

Last edited:

hoodley

Established Member
OK SMM, understood and thanks for a response with a legit comparison. I will look at the timing some more.
Question though, was the extra power you got returned in lower e.t. (tune adjustment only)
Im not spending more money on more tuning without adding something else to the car, which will be sooner than later for sure!

VOLT... Im guessing you must of breezed through here without paying attention, I WAS WANTING TO PAY FOR ANOTHER TUNE. also i wanted to see if tune was safe. I was advised to not tune it cause it looked good for what i have, could i have paid 500 bucks for 15 more horsepower, sure. would that be worth it? and i was at elevation would the tune be right on when i got home? maybe not.
Point is raggedy ass bama tune made 400 hp at that time and place. check over in tuning section i saw a e85 car with less hp and a GODtuned car with more mods making 15 or so more. just on first page.

Last edited:

jakhammer

Established Member
I'm going the Bama route... until I'm done modding. Then it'd AED Kool aid time. I'm fine with less power for now. And free updates til I'm done is great. But AED has always been my end game plan.
On a side note, can't we just use our tuner to pull out some timing and add some fuel if need be? Sounds dumb, but I haven't put my parts on yet since the car is in hibernation and not here at the house.

hoodley

Established Member
I'm going the Bama route... until I'm done modding. Then it'd AED Kool aid time. I'm fine with less power for now. And free updates til I'm done is great. But AED has always been my end game plan.
On a side note, can't we just use our tuner to pull out some timing and add some fuel if need be? Sounds dumb, but I haven't put my parts on yet since the car is in hibernation and not here at the house.

good plan. you are supposed to be able to make small adjsutments so i emailed them and asked why i dont have options on tuner.
they just replied actually, and said they can give me options to change but will no longer have #8 cylinder warranty. if there warranty is valid without excuses(worth having?? who knows)

Users who are viewing this thread