Back in the market

G04cobra

Established Member
So long story short, my cobra was stolen last month and recovered completely stripped. I was able to get a settlement from my insurance so now the hunt for a replacement has begun. I ran into a high mileage (117k) Mystichrome, my old terminator also had high miles so I'm not worried about the mileage. I'm more worried about the paint job. The owner states it needs a new clutch, convertible top motor, and a little TLC. He's asking 13.5k, what do you guys think? Is it worth the price? How expensive is Mystichrome paint?

109817_zpsnbsewo8b.jpg

109815_zps6bgkdknt.jpg

109809_zpso7suyvr6.jpg

109796_zps63e6ghsr.jpg

109811_zpsos9ykmr9.jpg

G04cobra

Established Member
I'm planning on checking it out this weekend but I'm assuming worse case scenario it needs a complete paint job.

01yellercobra

Established Member
The paint isn't cheap. I got rear ended about a month after buying mine. While it was in I had them repaint the wing and decklid because it looked exactly like that one. They had to paint up to the doors in order to get it to match correctly. That area ended up costing around $1300.

The top looks loose between the bows. I'd plan on a replacement. Also the rear window looks separated so it's probably leaking.

That's a lot cheaper then I paid for mine. But it had some upgrades that I wanted already. Yeah, the Mystichrome paint isn't cheap, but it's so worth it to me.

badjuicedgt

Established Member
I don't know if its true but I was told not everyone can paint with that paint as in if they aren't good the paints gonna look like shat. Plus just like others have said its expensive, if it were me I would keep looking since your already looking at what close to 5k in work with the paint new clutch and new top and motor for top. So now with the cost of the car and repairs provided you don't find anything else wrong and I bet you will your already going to be in the car for between 18 and 19k, but its your money.

G04cobra

Established Member
I don't know if its true but I was told not everyone can paint with that paint as in if they aren't good the paints gonna look like shat. Plus just like others have said its expensive, if it were me I would keep looking since your already looking at what close to 5k in work with the paint new clutch and new top and motor for top. So now with the cost of the car and repairs provided you don't find anything else wrong and I bet you will your already going to be in the car for between 18 and 19k, but its your money.

Yea the logical side tells me to keep looking, the enthusiast in me keeps saying saying "but its a Mystichrome". Although not rare, its a pretty neat combo.

stangfreak

Established Member
I wouldnt do it. I am not a fan of buying high mileage cars and if the paint looks like that and needs restoring, not for me. If you are into projects then go for it. The paint is not cheap either.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
For $13.5? As long as it was mechanically sound I would buy it and not care so much about the paint. It still looks pretty good overall imo

Zemedici

Established Member
ooh...those paint issues would drive me crazy. If you're fine with them, then that's a steal for the car. As with most used verts, expect to plan a replacement sooner rather than later.

And put a Viper alarm on this one!! :beer:

G04cobra

Established Member
ooh...those paint issues would drive me crazy. If you're fine with them, then that's a steal for the car. As with most used verts, expect to plan a replacement sooner rather than later.

And put a Viper alarm on this one!! :beer:

No kidding..This was my car:
IMAG0134_zpsudtytr36.jpg

This is how it was found:
ca9f5e51-04ce-410c-a13d-6ab780e58792_zpslyiepnoj.jpg

ShaneCobra74

Established Member
The pic of what was left of your car is heartbreaking. However, you have some coin to get into another one and that's not a bad spot to be in. The MC vert looks to be untouched in terms of mods (at least that I can see). Is he soft on $13.5? I don't think paying 10-13K for this MC vert in its condition is a bad deal if you can close it somewhere in the ballpark. The paint wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, esp if its just the wing, decklid, and rear bumper cover. Look around, but if he's soft on the price and the car checks out, it could end up being a decent deal. I wouldn't be scared of it just yet.

If Hi End got a hold of this car, it would be around $20k on resale after they did their work on it.

My $.02

Last edited:

Shadow Grey 03

Established Member
Wow. That after pic is disgusting. Do what YOU want to do with your money. I would keep looking myself, but it's up to you in the end.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
With the condition the car is in, I wouldn't take the owner's word on what needs to be done. I'd look it over carefully in person and take it to a shop to have the engine checked. You really want to know up front how much money you're likely going to have to put into it. If it were me, I'd rather find a Mystichrome with lower miles and in much better condition with a higher purchase price. Now if you could buy it for closer to $10K (assuming nothing major is wrong with the car), then that might make it worth considering. JMO.

3xBlackCobra

Established Member
I'm sympathetic to your "enthusiast" side, but I've always found that patience will make you waaay happier in the long run with these things.

If you don't mind the paint, I'd go for it. But, judging by your previous cobra I can tell you're someone who likes his car looking nice, which might take some serious $$ when all is said and done. Personally, I'd wait for a lower mileage cobra to come up, especially if you tend to put a bunch of miles on it normally (since you stated your previous cobra was high mileage). Get a nice one that looks like it's been babied by the owner.. :beer:

Last edited:

cobjon57

Established Member
A terminator should never be allowed to look that way.Beware of neglect in other areas.If you love your ride it should look bitchin' at all times.

Users who are viewing this thread