Aviator swap completed

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
The Aviator engines usually sell for considerably less then their Mach and Cobra counterparts. The only thing that I wish I could of done differently was custom cams while it was sitting on the stand but I didn't have the extra money.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
How about a video? You got me thinking about a future project...looking for some fuel!!!

I don't have a video camera. My son tried to get a vid of it on the dyno but the sound quality was terrible. I'll see if he can get a start up vid.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Well I have a few friends with junkyards, may be able to find myself an aviator long block relatively cheap. I'm thinking my B heads are getting worn out so it may be time to get the ball rolling on a swap.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Thanks to Brendan for posting the graph for me:beer: Next mods will be FTBR IRS bushings then install my IRS and T56. Engine mods are on hold for now.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
By looking at the graph I say it's going to the short runners to early. To find the best opening point you need to do a pull with only the long runners and one with the only the short runners, then set the opening point where the two tq or RPM lines cross.

B head cobra cams at 106 and the exhaust at 118 would make close to 360SAE with much higher tq.

Got the car tuned Friday night and it put down 335/296 in 81f and 60% humidity.

When the numbers are SAE/STD corrected the temp and humidity don't matter.

oooohh i had no idea that the fr500 had IMRCs..welp learn something new everyday

They aren't runner controls like the IMRCs on B heads. Rather than opening up another port, the FR500 runner control opens a butterfly valve in the long runner and this effectively shortens the runner length.

Last edited:

99COBRA2881

Piss on Fox Sports1
Established Member
By looking at the graph I say it's going to the short runners to early. To find the best opening point you need to do a pull with only the long runners and one with the only the short runners, then set the opening point where the two tq or RPM lines cross.

Isn't it a waste of time to dyno short and long runners due to the fact that the HP and TQ curves will always cross at 5252 rpm?

Horsepower = (Torque X RPM) / 5252

Would this still be the best point to set the runners to open on an FR500 intake? With the curves crossing consistantly at 5252 rpm what else can pinpoint when to open the runners?

harvboi05

Established Member
hes talking about over laying the tq graphs and compare where one picks up where the other left off. not comparing the hp vs tq intersection of both graphs.

Max97COBRAtkd

Established Member
Looks like you are running a JLT prefilter into a catchcan into an oil separator and then into the intake... you really don't want any oil in that intake do you??? hahahaha

tad240

Established Member

B head cobra cams at 106 and the exhaust at 118 would make close to 360SAE with much higher tq.

IMO that would be EXTREMELY good power with "stock" cams. That FR500 is too cool.

What custom cam specs would be ideal for this stock block / FR500 intake combination? (with consideration for the PM rods & PM oil pump rotor rpm limits - which coincidentally is my issue) How much cam duration would effectively reach/exceed the rev limits of this rotating assembly with the FR500 intake?

Or are the B head cobra cams pretty much ideal in this situation?

Last edited:

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Looks like you are running a JLT prefilter into a catchcan into an oil separator and then into the intake... you really don't want any oil in that intake do you??? hahahaha

There is still oil getting into the separator. I have an email from Jay @ JLT and I need to move things around.

Users who are viewing this thread