Aviator swap completed

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Nice job, congrats! I want to pick up an aviator long block over the next year or two and put in cams, then add a ported short runner 01 cobra manifold, and longtubes before I drop it in. Maybe I'll find a mach 1 or 99/01 cobra motor cheap too.

I lucked out and got the whole long block with less than 10000 miles on it for $1500. I had the FR500 for over a year but the small things nickle and dimed me for another $400-500.

RIO RED SNAKE

4:10's = The Suck
Established Member
^^you talking c or b head motor? if c which i am sure you are since i am sure this is regarding the aviator motor..they do not have IMRCs...so thats kind of a plus and one less thing you have to worry about getting stuck or surrounded in carbon..

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
^^you talking c or b head motor? if c which i am sure you are since i am sure this is regarding the aviator motor..they do not have IMRCs...so thats kind of a plus and one less thing you have to worry about getting stuck or surrounded in carbon..

i think he's talking about the imrc for the fr500 intake

RPM that the "C" head FR500 IMRC's are supposed to open?

TDUB003

Established Member
Good for 450hp. Six bolt cast crank, aluminum block and pm rods. It will do what I need it to do and probably live a long time without the Vortech.

So would the block not be a good choice for someone looking to for f.i. further down the road?

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Sounds about right I'd say. I bet it feels good!

335 N/A has to feel real nice, great job!! Now get it on the track!!

I'll have to say I am impressed with how it is working although the 4:10's feel a bit weak. My old numbers were 452/374 with the s/c and I think if I do the Cobra R pulleys and balancer plus four custom cams I can get close to 380-390rwhp. I am going to wait until later in the season before going to the track. My clutch is well worn and I don't want to break anything. I'll romp on it then and get the T56 with a new clutch/flywheel in over the winter.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
Another thing worth mentioning is the ARH headers and X pipe. In my pic at the beginning of the thread I commented on how low they are. With my normal driving and crappy roads they haven't bottomed out yet and I give high praise to the fit and finish of ARH. Anyone looking at headers should strongly consider these.

coolguy10786

Established Member
I have been VERY pleased with my ARH headers as well.

When it comes time to do the cams, I still have my tools if you would like to borrow them.

Tabres

Not without incident
Established Member
I've got a set of the tools too, if his are unavailable at that time.

Bet its a real fun car! Cool project!

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
I've got a set of the tools too, if his are unavailable at that time.

Bet its a real fun car! Cool project!

Thanks for the offer Tabres:beer:

I find myself enjoying the car a lot more without the s/c. I did miss the extra 117hp from the s/c but it is a lot nicer romping on it and not worrying about cooking the engine from the additional stress from it.

Gallows

Make My Day... N/A
Established Member
With the JLT CAI it isn't possible to run the factory STB but I also have a 1/2" spacer under the lid of the FR500 lid raising things even higher. I noticed a rubbing pattern on the elbow and another on the large hose clamp.

IMG_3073.gif

Greased the high spots so I could see exactly where the hood was rubbing

IMG_3082.gif

IMG_3083.gif

IMG_3080.gif

This one looks a bit nasty:lol1:

IMG_3084.gif

Warmed up the dremel and made a mess

IMG_3085.gif

IMG_3086.gif

IMG_3090.gif

IMG_3089.gif

Next time the car goes into the body shop I will get them to seam seal the cuts for strength and hit them with some black paint. As for driving without the STB I can't really say that I notice any difference without it and I can't see how you could make a custom STB to work.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
Interesting. I may end up getting an aviator longblock and doing the same sort of swap. Just a factory mach or cobra intake to boot. It seems like a viable budget option on these cars if you want to jump to later model heads

Users who are viewing this thread