Attic Floor Help. Attic Dek?

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
I'd remove the insulation down to the joist in the areas you want to use for storage and install plywood or those grates. If the insulation is lacking, I'd use mineral wool (Roxul) for higher performance so you don't lose much R value and compared to fiberglass, much better air sealing.

I'm just finishing up my attic for more storage and went this route. Pulled all of the blow in, fiberglass batts, re-ran some wire, added lighting and switches, then filled with Roxul batts, plywood, padding, and carpet on top so it's easier on my knees. Bins slide easily as well. This was a big project but the halfass insulation job made it an easy decision for me. I can't comment on the attic grates and can't imagine how many things I'd drop through it and get pissed about. Also redid the stairs and insulation leading up.

20221104_222337.jpg

20221110_214926.jpg

20221204_162324.jpg

20221204_174351.jpg

20221209_201007.jpg

20221122_212327.jpg

20221126_195651.jpg

20221202_191930.jpg

Last edited:

03 VENOM

Established Member
I'd remove the insulation down to the joist in the areas you want to use for storage and install plywood or those grates. If the insulation is lacking, I'd use mineral wool (Roxul) for higher performance so you don't lose much R value and compared to fiberglass, much better air sealing.

I'm just finishing up my attic for more storage and went this route. Pulled all of the blow in, fiberglass batts, re-ran some wire, added lighting and switches, then filled with Roxul batts, plywood, padding, and carpet on top so it's easier on my knees. Bins slide easily as well. This was a big project but the halfass insulation job made it an easy decision for me. I can't comment on the attic grates and can't imagine how many things I'd drop through it and get pissed about. Also redid the stairs and insulation leading up.

View attachment 1773011
View attachment 1773007
View attachment 1773020

View attachment 1773009
View attachment 1773010
View attachment 1773036
View attachment 1773021
View attachment 1773035
Nice work brother. Are you in the construction business?
I’m in the aviation maintenance business

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator

View attachment 1773011
View attachment 1773007
View attachment 1773020

View attachment 1773009
View attachment 1773010
View attachment 1773036
View attachment 1773021
View attachment 1773035
Well done. Is that an insulated door leading to the stairs?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs

View attachment 1773011
View attachment 1773007
View attachment 1773020

View attachment 1773009
View attachment 1773010
View attachment 1773036
View attachment 1773021
View attachment 1773035
What an awesome job you did. You spared no expense to do it right the first time. That is probably way beyond what most homeowners with attics might do (like me!), but you've created a very well insulated, well lit, clean/comfortable attic storage space. Is there a reason why you didn't insulated the ceiling portion? I know heat loss isn't really an issue with what you've done, and it doesn't appear that the attic space is heated. Do you know what to expect, temperature wise, during winter days in the teens?

Again, awesome job!

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Nice work brother. Are you in the construction business?
I’m in the aviation maintenance business
Thank you! Mech. Engineering actually. I diverted my attention to house renos 6 years ago and really enjoy it, minus how much time it really takes to do it the way I want....

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Well done. Is that an insulated door leading to the stairs?
Just a solid MDF Lowes door. Better than hollow but I could back it with insulation as well

What an awesome job you did. You spared no expense to do it right the first time. That is probably way beyond what most homeowners with attics might do (like me!), but you've created a very well insulated, well lit, clean/comfortable attic storage space. Is there a reason why you didn't insulated the ceiling portion? I know heat loss isn't really an issue with what you've done, and it doesn't appear that the attic space is heated. Do you know what to expect, temperature wise, during winter days in the teens?

Again, awesome job!
Thank you Bob! I say I overkill things but then I tell myself that it's how things should be done to justify it lol.

I have sensorpush brand sensors all around my house and garage to keep track of temps and humidity

Screenshot_20221211_092410_SensorPush.jpg

Blk91stang

Established Member
Premium Member
Any more info or links to these?

They sell through Amazon. The $50 sensors are made in China. The $70 are USA made and more resistant to moisture. I'd recommend the latter but had no problems with either for over 2 years now. Batteries are still good. I'd recommend the wifi antenna as well for $100 so your phone is always updated and you don't need Bluetooth turned on.

I've used them to troubleshoot freezers and fridges as well. Pretty awesome product.

03 VENOM

Established Member
I bought a Ohuhu Telescoping ladder from Amazon to gain access to my ceiling access cover.
The stupid thing doesn’t work right. It’s supposed to automatically lock as you raise it. It won’t lock.
I have to turn it upside down for it to lock for every rung.
Anyways I threw away the box. I have to find another one to send it back. Lol…

I was using a cheap 6 foot painters ladder. lol.

96_slow4.6

my car is really slow
Established Member
I just cut a bunch of 1X6 boards to length and spaced them to my preference. I could have done OSB but would have been a bit difficult to work with.

@Blk91stang I'm pretty jelly of your setup, looks damn nice!

Users who are viewing this thread