Atheists

SVTdreamin04

What's a "Termi"???
Established Member
Premium Member
It happens. Daughter in law was diagnosed with terminal lung cancer a year ago. Given 9 months to a year. It is now over a year and the cancer is in total remission. Luck, coencidence, miracle. Doctor says she has done something that was not supposed to happen. I like to believe that all the prayers that were sent had something to do with it.

My bro in law suffered a massive heart attack at 30 years old. He lived about 11 minutes out from an ambulance getting to him. Luckily, there was some type of training going on nearby and they got to him in two minutes. His wife (now X) was also going to school for nursing, so when she got to him, she was able to work on him. They don't know how long he was "dead" prior to her getting to him. He was also lucky in the fact that there was a cardiologist making rounds present at the local hospital that day who made the call to ship him out to a better more equipped hospital.

He died 7 times in the ambulance and 11 times total. He wasn't given much of a chance to live. Enough that my buddy who is an EMT working that day seen my wife and told her to come see her bro before they transported him to another hospital note equipped to take care of him. My buddy told me late he thought he was going to die along with everyone else who seen him. The neurologist later said twice that would be braindead. Well, he is alive today and no brain damage what so ever. All the doctors and nurses, other than the neurologist could say was it was nothing short of a miracle.

His dad is a pastor who done lots of praying over him.

Sorry, seen some misspelled wording and had to edit this. Any time I think of that day, it gives me chills and I dwell on it. That same day I had the closest call I ever had on a motorcycle prior to his heart attack. It was just a messed up day that still sidetracks my thoughts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

TK1299

Meh
Established Member
Premium Member
Regardless of whether you're a believer or not, no one will have any answer to the deep questions until after death.
But I just cannot believe the universe, space, all that just appeared out of nowhere; all the sophistication of life just naturally occurred. These issues go far beyond the comprehension of a mere mortal's mind.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I was thinking a Dumpster fire falling off a cliff into the path of a speeding freight train. But that's just my dumb ass yakking again.
I think you asked a fair question in your OP, and I think you answered a question pretty fairly, so my comment wasn't directed at you. I'd actually like to see the discussion survive.

blk02edge

Established Member
Because their mindset makes no sense. Why would they think there is no God because everything isn't perfect?
Many ways to spin this. I find it funny seeing things like "militant aitheists", "moral values" and imo the arrogant statement "they make no sense" it's just all so incredibly hypocritical. You judge them for judging you in the exact same way lol... I have religeous friends and non religeous friends, we respect each other's beliefs and me and my "athiest" friends never speak ill of our religeous friends behind their backs.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
I'm of a stronger intervention belief. There are other dimensions as science hypothesizes, but in these dimensions operate spiritual beings of the good and evil which science does not really hypothesize. Good and evil transition from dimensions carrying out the will of their masters, or God and Satan. I have seen enough in my life to understand this to be true and I have shared some of it in the past.

Ultimately, God does not intervene day-to-day unless we request He do so, but sometimes even if we do not request it He still will as He ultimately has a plan for everyone of us and will intervene in sometimes subtle and not so subtle ways in order to bring us closer to what He has in store and to show us that He is still looking over us and Jesus is still within us. He'll impact us in whatever way He knows will break through our hardened hearts to reveal Himself to us. We do not know how large of an impact His will for us will entail but do not think that there is no specific purpose for you because there is. I believe that many more people will be in Heaven than we realize. Those who believed at one time but then fell away will not be punished with eternity in Hell, but rather will miss out on gifts and treasures stored up in Heaven for us. How you live your life factors into what will be in store for you in Heaven. Only those who fail to accept Jesus or reject the Spirit of the Lord can face the outcome of eternity in Hell. We only think in the capacity of our suffering here on Earth and we fail to see how insignificant our lives here on Earth actually are. We are not even a blip in time on the grand scale of eternity, but with our limited understanding, we view ourselves as a culminating achievement to all time that has passed so far on Earth when Earth is just a small step towards eternity with our Father in Heaven. Science continuously expands our understanding of how small we are in the grand scheme of the Universe but it still falls short of the entire spectrum of that insignificance by excluding our Creator.

On a world-wide scale God's will is still being done according to His plan. If you are not paying attention to foreign affairs right now and how they correspond to what is written in the book of Revelation then I suggest you do so as some very specific things are shaping up to occur involving Israel, Russia, Iran, and Turkey.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Many ways to spin this. I find it funny seeing things like "militant aitheists", "moral values" and imo the arrogant statement "they make no sense" it's just all so incredibly hypocritical. You judge them for judging you in the exact same way lol... I have religeous friends and non religeous friends, we respect each other's beliefs and me and my "athiest" friends never speak ill of our religeous friends behind their backs.
So do I but I fail to see your point inre my response in regards to people who disbelieve because everything isn't perfect.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
I have friends who are Christian, agnostic, and atheist. All "moral" men, who are honest, hard working, reliable, and people I trust. My atheist friend was probably my closest friend for a decade.

I think the OP's post was more a sincere question than a judgment. Having arrived at faith later in life myself, I'ved lived an adult life on both sides of the perspectives discussed, but not everyone has, and sometimes it is hard for one side to understand the other's persepctives. That's all I read into his post.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I don't have a problem with the atheistic segment who ask for evidence of God and it can't be shown. I do have a problem with those who think that because everything isn't perfect and handed to them on a silver platter that there can't possibly be a God. I was raised Catholic and went to parochial elementary school/junior high/high school/college. I'm a believer in some sort of God but my beliefs are by no means scripture based. My belief is that God is out there but He has left us to our own devices. Thoughts?
You sound like me an Agnostic, yeah I was raised in Mass. as an Irish-German Catholic, it's pretty much a right of passage till your old enough to have some sense...

VegasMichael

Established Member
I'm of a stronger intervention belief. There are other dimensions as science hypothesizes, but in these dimensions operate spiritual beings of the good and evil which science does not really hypothesize. Good and evil transition from dimensions carrying out the will of their masters, or God and Satan. I have seen enough in my life to understand this to be true and I have shared some of it in the past.

Ultimately, God does not intervene day-to-day unless we request He do so, but sometimes even if we do not request it He still will as He ultimately has a plan for everyone of us and will intervene in sometimes subtle and not so subtle ways in order to bring us closer to what He has in store and to show us that He is still looking over us and Jesus is still within us. He'll impact us in whatever way He knows will break through our hardened hearts to reveal Himself to us. We do not know how large of an impact His will for us will entail but do not think that there is no specific purpose for you because there is. I believe that many more people will be in Heaven than we realize. Those who believed at one time but then fell away will not be punished with eternity in Hell, but rather will miss out on gifts and treasures stored up in Heaven for us. How you live your life factors into what will be in store for you in Heaven. Only those who fail to accept Jesus or reject the Spirit of the Lord can face the outcome of eternity in Hell. We only think in the capacity of our suffering here on Earth and we fail to see how insignificant our lives here on Earth actually are. We are not even a blip in time on the grand scale of eternity, but with our limited understanding, we view ourselves as a culminating achievement to all time that has passed so far on Earth when Earth is just a small step towards eternity with our Father in Heaven. Science continuously expands our understanding of how small we are in the grand scheme of the Universe but it still falls short of the entire spectrum of that insignificance by excluding our Creator.

On a world-wide scale God's will is still being done according to His plan. If you are not paying attention to foreign affairs right now and how they correspond to what is written in the book of Revelation then I suggest you do so as some very specific things are shaping up to occur involving Israel, Russia, Iran, and Turkey.
I won't disrespect your belief on this but personally I don't believe anything you wrote.

Coiled03

Established Member
Because their mindset makes no sense. Why would they think there is no God because everything isn't perfect?

Of the atheists I know, including me, none of them cite that as the reason for not believing there is a God. My personal reason is because it doesn't stand up to reason or logic. Add in the constant contradictions in the Bible, the thousands of religions that all claim to be "right", etc., and it's just laughable.

Most believers tell me the big bang doesn't stand up to reason or logic, either; the notion that something can come from nothing. And I can see where they're coming from with that. The difference is, if you challenge a scientist on it, they'll freely admit we don't know everything, and we're still looking for answers and alternate possibilities. Ever heard a true believer admit they might be wrong? How arrogant do you have to be to not acknowledge that you could be wrong?

VegasMichael

Established Member
Of the atheists I know, including me, none of them cite that as the reason for not believing there is a God. My personal reason is because it doesn't stand up to reason or logic.
I did say that earlier, though, in the original post. That I have no problem with those atheists who disbelieve for lack of evidence.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Of the atheists I know, including me, none of them cite that as the reason for not believing there is a God. My personal reason is because it doesn't stand up to reason or logic. Add in the constant contradictions in the Bible, the thousands of religions that all claim to be "right", etc., and it's just laughable.

Most believers tell me the big bang doesn't stand up to reason or logic, either; the notion that something can come from nothing. And I can see where they're coming from with that. The difference is, if you challenge a scientist on it, they'll freely admit we don't know everything, and we're still looking for answers and alternate possibilities. Ever heard a true believer admit they might be wrong? How arrogant do you have to be to not acknowledge that you could be wrong?

Ever consider you may be wrong?

VegasMichael

Established Member
Michael, if you are going to ask questions, as in your first post where you said, ... which side of the argument were you intending to discourage?
I am not discouraging anything. Both sides of the argument have merit. I am merely looking for rational thought on what people believe. I'm a searcher. I don't purport to have answers on this topic. I am one of those losers that will gladly change his opinion if given hard evidence.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
The trouble with these discussions is how hard it is to have them without folks get militant or defensive.

There are few demonstrable "facts" when it comes to faith. And by "faith", I mean faith that there is a God, or faith that there absolutely isn't.

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Okay reason and logic. Let’s go back to the beginning. Consences is the universe began with the Big Bang. Yeah it is theory but the one most agreed on. So you have the Big Bang expanding universe. How? Cause and effect, for every effect there has to be a cause, logical right. So what was the cause? Something or Someone had to start the Big Bang. You will say it just happened, I say the creator started it. Which is more logical? Oh by the way the Bible is totally consistent if you keep it in context and do not pick and choose verses.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
I'm basically adding a response so I can remember to step in and provide the best answers I can.

Before I leave this thread for the night I will only add that I am a Christian. I'm not a Christian because I was raised to be such. I am a Christian due to personal research, questions, rational answers, and faith. I was not raised in a Christian home.

The one thing I stand by is the fact that blind faith is ignorance. To follow anyone, or anything blindly is more than dangerous, it is irresponsible.

With this being said, I am willing to step out on a limb and answer anything I can. I cannot promise I will multiquote due to a few lengthy responses. The majority of my education is theologically based. The study of God and Christianity has been the focus of the majority of my adult life. This does not make me am expert, and I will not claim to always be 100% correct. I am not God, and I do not know everything.

I will not answer questions using theological terminology that no one understands or can pronounce. I speak plain English, and refuse to try and make myself seem more intelligent by using words that most pastors have a hard time defining.

Lastly, I am not going to try and convert anyone. I'm not going to guilt people, or insult you. Your choices are yours to make.

Let the fun begin. I am looking forward to this. Hopefully no enemies are made, and we all learn something.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread