Are there significant differences in oil filters?

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Iv also heard alot of negative things about Royal purple, id be curious to know where all the negative associations come from? Thanks :beer:

Heard what? They are too expensive?:shrug:

Negativity is likely from RP haters that just don't know any better I suspect.

Ours and Amsoil's are still top of the heap, and for what you get... very reasonably priced. In some applications, for example on many special limited use vehicles you are only buying one a year.

Only way to beat them is with a by-pass filtration system(best used in addition to not in place of) or other specialty oil filter modification.

oldmodman

Established Member
Heard what? They are too expensive?:shrug:

Negativity is likely from RP haters that just don't know any better I suspect.

Ours and Amsoil's are still top of the heap, and for what you get... very reasonably priced. In some applications, for example on many special limited use vehicles you are only buying one a year.

The only bad things I've heard about either Amsoil or Royal Purple (other than the price) is that used to be very hard to find. It's much easier tofind a stocking dealer for RP but Amsoil can still be hard to find on short notice.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The only bad things I've heard about either Amsoil or Royal Purple (other than the price) is that used to be very hard to find. It's much easier tofind a stocking dealer for RP but Amsoil can still be hard to find on short notice.

That's why you order Amsoil direct using their preferred customer membership program.

All "PC's" get Amsoil @ dealer/wholesale cost. That's 25% off internet retail prices. With 11 warehouses across the U.S. and Canada, all buyers will have their order in 2 business shipping days or less.

amsoil-distribution-Revised.jpg

Last edited:

NasteeNate

2V Warrior
Established Member
I've only used Amsoil and motor craft an they served me well. No doubt in my mind Amsoil makes superior stuff. Keeps my 96 gt running strong.

Black*Death

Sleeping
Established Member
RP oil filters at my local PepBoys..a little expensive but likely cheap insurance in the long run

Brutal Metal

Established Member
3 and change versus $15 is what I'd call the reasonably priced versions, I currently use the K&N but would be willing to try the Amsoil or RP if I could find em local..

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Royal Purple filters can be found local at Pep Boys.

Amsoil is best found ordering direct from their website using the preferred customer program.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
Good read I've only used motorcraft an Mobil 1 filters when you get them free in an oil deal. I change my oil every 3-4k since I race mine so paying 13-17bucks for a filter is not much of a deal for me. For those changing them once a year getting a amsoil or rp filter seem to be a good deal. Since I change mine about 3 times a yr its about 14bucks a yr in filters for me. An I have now switch over to Mobil 1 5w-40. Seems to be a nice oil so far.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
The Mobil 1 can be a really good deal when one of the parts stores has the buy 5 quarts of Mobil oil

Extended Performance is only $5.00 more per 5 quart jug ($30.xx) at WalMart, and worth the investment. No way I would save that money to buy the mainline product.

Last edited:

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
The Mobil 1 can be a really good deal when one of the parts stores has the buy 5 quarts of Mobil oil

that exactly what i do i stock up when an auto store has mobil 1 5qt full sysn an mobil 1 oil filter for $29.99 is a killer deal. that $6.00 a qt an a free mobil 1 oil filter.

Evil Mach

Fight the Good Fight
Established Member
I use the regular ol' Motorcraft FL820S on my Cobra. Never has done me wrong in the 12 years and 4 Mustangs I've used them on. Plus they're free for me :D

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Hard to deny something that works for free. The FL-820 Motorcraft is the best value in off the shelf oil filters. For less than $4.00, it performs as well if not better than every other filter in the $4.00 to $8.00 range.

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
Can the the RP/AMSOIL filters be run for a longer length of time compared to the Motorcraft filters?

Um.. seriously?

Yes of course, if there are no warranty compliance concerns.
When used with our oil we recommend 12 months or 12,000 miles for both the oil and the filter.

We make no recommendation for other oils because there is no way to know if someone is going to use one of the handful of good ones or some marginal conventional oil that leaves goo in the engine.

Dsg-shaker

American Slothstronaut!
Established Member
Anyone use baldwin filters? I was mind blown when I first got into the floor that our tractors go 50,000 between oil changes

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Amsoil's previous generation of EaO oil filters were manufactured by Baldwin. I must say, they were a bit "tougher" built. Now they are manufactured by Champion Labs. Some changes were made for better oil flow characteristics and some of the previous overbuilt robustness has been removed.

Users who are viewing this thread