are ls1 cars better?

punishd

Established Member
After having both (99 SS and 01 Cobra) they both have their advantages and disadvantages. My Camaro looked good to me and certainly was faster than my Cobra. I also liked the seating postion and layout of the interior more. The dash was huge, but I liked the ass on the floor seating position. The Cobra sounds better, handles better, and I like the physical proportions of it more. Let's be real, the interior and build quality of both leave something to be desired. With that said, the aftermarket for LS1s is a TON bigger...it doesn't even come close on that end imo. Just depends what you want out of the car...both can be made plenty fast. There are douches in every car community, drive what you like.

I do always get a chuckle out of the "modern technology", HP/L, mullet, you needed a supercharger, yours got recalled in 1999 so they all don't make power, yours is a girl's car arguments from both sides. They're almost always the same and rarely ever sheathed in much of a semblance of reason or logic :lol:

96project

Established Member
I have a '99 Trans am also and personally I like it just as much, if not better than my cobra.. I think if you're happy with the way your car looks and drives/sounds then just enjoy it. When it comes to hp the biggest wallet will always win.

Jroc

Established Member
Yes LS1's are better N/A motors than Modular 4.6/5.4's.

As far as handling goes I've talked with people who own both and who track their cars and most say the Mustang is the better street handler where the Fbody is the better track handler. Don't down play the Fbodies suspension it's a torque arm/panhard bar SRA, and a SLA front suspension which is what most hardcore mustang racers convert their Foxbody/SN95 cars to and think is the best setup for them even compared to the IRS.

Here's always been my opinion when comparing the handling of the SN95/New edge Mustangs to Gen 4's Fbodies. The Mustangs tend to feel lighter, quicker to transition, more nimble, more fickable, and sportier,(other than the seating position) but a Foxbody/Sn95 will just up and bite you in the ass without warning if you're not really paying attention. They are very tail happy and unpredictable cars. The Fbodies on the other hand feel like they suck at handling. They feel soft and undersprung with a lot of body roll, and sitting that low looking over their tall/long dash and hood only enhances that as does their shitty feeling steering/steeringwheel. With that said Fbodies just seem to hold. Where you think man I don't think a car that feels this big and undersprung is going to hold they always end up surprising you that they actually hold instead of breaking loose. I guess I've developed the opinion that the Mustang defiantly feels like a sportier/better handling car, but that the Fbody actual has more grip. Of course a S197 car out handles both, and in particular the 2010+ cars easily out handle both 79-04 Mustangs, and Gen 4 Fbodies.

Last edited:

tmkr03

Established Member
If I has to choose between a LS car and a 99 or 01 cobra.
I'll take the LS1 car. I love my 03 but I like to drag race and the LS is better suited than a 99-01 cobra.

Last edited:

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Unbiased review.... i love stangs.... but the LS1 is the better performer

[youtube_browser]xq5iUBCb2S4[/youtube_browser]

1999 Comparison of Camaro SS, Trans Am, Mustang Cobra - YouTube

That Cobra was definitely a car that hadn't been recalled and was probably down 25 horsepower as it took 6.0 seconds to get to 60. Those extra ponies probably wouldn't have improved 0-60 by anymore then .3 seconds but it would have made it more competitive.

The Mongoose

Established Member
I currently own a 2002 WS6 and I love it. I've got basic bolt on mods like long tubes, 3 inch dual exhaust, lid, etc. The plan was to throw on some AFR heads and a complementing cam, but now, I'll be trading my WS6 for a 1999 Cobra that has a 2004 Cobra engine, tranny, ECU, etc. and has a Novi 2000 blower and stage 2 cams. It's technically a 99 Cobra, but everything about it is a Terminator. I think both cars are great and if modded right, will make great power and be fun as hell to drive.

Gravik

Established Member
I like both. And both have their pro's and con's. LS1 cars are better for N/A power and pushrod motors just sound downright nasty with a cam and exhaust.

Cobra interior is better. I own a GT, so I honestly don't think the interior on the F Body is horrible. Now if you want an interior that will blow away all mustangs, get a GTO. Cobra usually sounds better and looks better than a Camaro.

I think the LS1 can sound just as good if you ditch the y pipe for true duals.

LS1 CAMARO BIG CAM! LOUD!! - YouTube

OW99

Established Member
When I was shopping for a car I was torn between a ws6 and my cobra. I bought the cobra because it was cheaper.

Myersprostatus

Established Member
ls1s are great engines, light weight and simple with old technology, like the saying "if it works why change it." 4.6 4vs are also great engines. They have a decent amount of power with a more modern design. I consider it a FACT that the 4.6 4v ford engine is the best sounding american v8 ever made. They just sound amazing. Not to mention with a few suspension upgrades you will kill their camaros/firebirds through the twisties all day everyday. They can talk all the smack they want, but in the end they have an ugly car that looks like a catfish that prefers a straight line.

Dirks9901

Paint>Vinyl
Established Member
Premium Member
The Camaro does look like a catfish, but a Trans Am WS6 is one mean looking muscle car that looks nothing like a "catfish".

98-02 WS6's are the best looking muscle car of that time period. They still look great today when properly kept up.

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
I like both. And both have their pro's and con's. LS1 cars are better for N/A power and pushrod motors just sound downright nasty with a cam and exhaust.

Cobra interior is better. I own a GT, so I honestly don't think the interior on the F Body is horrible. Now if you want an interior that will blow away all mustangs, get a GTO. Cobra usually sounds better and looks better than a Camaro.

I think the LS1 can sound just as good if you ditch the y pipe for true duals.

LS1 CAMARO BIG CAM! LOUD!! - YouTube

I think my Y piped single exhaust sounds good :??:

2000 Camaro MS4 Camshaft - YouTube

cj428mach

Established Member
98-02 WS6's are the best looking muscle car of that time period. They still look great today when properly kept up.

As long as the headlights are down. :kaboom:

I still remember seeing the commercials for the WS6 and how it pulled up to a stop light and a little tornado came through with it. I dreamed of owning one but only could afford the LT1 at the time. I also remember when the terminators came out, the fear that was struck into the Fbody community at the time. :lol1: My friend has a beautiful 02 TA WS6 that looks so damn good that you almost forget that he has at least 125 less hp than my car does.....almost is the key word.

Both companies put out nice cars at that time, but I made my choice.

Last edited:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
Stone stock the car went 13.28 @ 107.
Seems like they're pretty close stock... I went 13.3 @ 105 my first time EVER at a strip bone stock on an 80 degree day with a 2.17 60' and a grand total of 4 passes. All of my friends had ls1 cars, stick and auto, and I was faster than all of them stock but most of that was me being the better driver. The problem comes that the ls1 responds much better to mods n/a. I had an easy solution for that though and its name was Eaton. :lol1: I know someones gonna come on here and post some crazy story about an ls1 going 12.8 @ like 111 in -1,000,000 DA but that 13.3 will hold up against the majority of stock ls1 times and in the those conditions and more practice I could have gone faster too.

Last edited:

RX1Cobra

Established Member
If a Formula I agree... I like its more understated looks over the TA. When I bought my 01 Cobra it was between that and white 6 speed ram air formula. My aunt at the time worked for Ford so I ended up getting the Cobra cause it was 7 grand less and that was a lot of money being that I was 20.

Users who are viewing this thread