are ls1 cars better?

00_silvergt

Established Member
^ This is the dumbest argument in all of motorsports.

I've owned MULTIPLE stangs and LSX based cars. The 98-02 Camaro is a superior car. Especially the hardtop V8's and 1LE's.

I've put well over 800hp through my stock T-56 since 2008. It finally just broke after 100,000 miles.

The LS1 will also make more power for less money. A push-rod motor is far easier to work on than a OHC motor every day of the week and twice on Sunday. Changing 1 cam takes an afternoon if you know what you're doing and even less time with the right timing cover. The GM cars are also much easier to tune. The LS1 will get better gas mileage.

Besides the subjective stuff like ride-comfort and interior/exterior opinions the only real weak point in the 4th gen f-bodies is the S-10 rear they put in those cars. The stock shifter also sucks (even the hurst) but a pro 5.0 and Lou's short stick solves all that.

This is a Ford site so I'm sure you'll get a very biased opinion especially those who own the Cobra's you're referring to. I'm just adding my $0.02. And before anyone gets wrapped around the axel I own a 2013 supercharged 5.0.
Dumbest arguement ever? That hurt, but they say the truth hurts. It was an opinion not an arguement. But like I said its was the way I saw it. Was I right? Obviously not, but I'm here to learn.:beer:

Slowbra89

Established Member
I love the cobras iv owned and driven both cobra will out handle and brake and f body hands down and yea the f body's are with bolt ons but remember they will only last a little while the rear ends die fast!!!!!' And the autos are junk and I have seen the t56s blow apart just as easy so when u put ur beefed up rearend go ahead and add some weight so that takes the power weight advantage out trust me forge your motor in a cobra and stay away from the f body's

fangs99

Established Member
I would not call the LS1 a superior ENGINE in any way..... The only way to compare would be to compaire the 4.8 LS engine to the 4.6 modular...... I'm by no means saying the modular Ford engines are better......plus it was Ford that came up with the base desgin for the LS1 cyclender head.

fangs99

Established Member
Like I said...... For the price of a good H/C/I for a LS1, you can buy a supercharger and be just as fast.

po-po 5.0

Established Member
I would not call the LS1 a superior ENGINE in any way..... The only way to compare would be to compaire the 4.8 LS engine to the 4.6 modular...... I'm by no means saying the modular Ford engines are better......plus it was Ford that came up with the base desgin for the LS1 cyclender head.

I was just comparing as-delivered packages. Getting into hp/L or hp/$ is too far into the weeds.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
It's common knowledge 99's had Teksids, most 01's had WAP blocks. Not trying to make a point here, it is what it is.
It's a common "misunderatanding" perpetuated by those on the forums that 01s most 01s had WAP blocks whe in reality the vast majority had teksids. Not that it matters since 99% of the owners won't make enough power to even hurt a WAP.

Last edited:

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
It's a common "misunderatanding" perpetuated by those on the forums that 01s most 01s had WAP blocks whe in reality the vast majority had teksids. Not that it matters since 99% of the owners won't make enough power to even hurt a WAP.

I have always read the complete opposite - whether it's here, another forum, a published mag, etc.

Oh well.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I've never had an LS1 car, and I've always considered myself a Ford fan. Back before the LS motors (and modular motors) existed, I always favored ford motors, mostly because everyone and their mother had a basic chevy 350 in everything.

The LS motor is really impressive. It has the modular motor beat in aftermarket support and displacement options. I'm not saying it's a superior design (I'm not going there). I'm just saying that there are more options to customize the engine. You can build an LS motor out of completely aftermarket parts if you wanted to. If you go that route, you could build a motor as large as 500 CI with a deck extended block. No one besides Ford makes aftermarket modular blocks, and there's only one aftermarket head available. (I'm not making an argument about the necessity of aftermarket pieces, just the availability)

But even with factory parts, you can swap in a 427CI motor in the exact same space where a smaller motor once resided. If you want to get more displacement with a modular motor, there are much more limited options.

I hope that Ford's new motor designs gather much more aftermarket support. I also hope that Ford allows more flexibility for added displacement into new engine architectures.

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
...and you can do both a header and cam install in an afternoon.

but you dont need to be gymnast with tiny hands to swap our plugs

shit my buddy and I did an h/c/i swap with longtubes on his ws6 in one day...even hsd time a make a video of it and drink beer before the sun was down lol

JesseSVTJames

Established Member
K here is my 2 cents...

Prior to owning my 01 Cobra I owned both LT1 and an LS1 car.

I enjoyed both, but was never able to be fill my craving for a better car... I bought my 01 a several years ago BONE stock and liked it but wanted boost and eventually jumped into a terminator. A few months later I seen the kid who bought my 01 and he had done some bolt ons, he took me for a boot and man I was impressed by the difference. If I were you I would put an exhaust, tune and a CAI in it. (maybe some pullies) With your already installed gears, LS1 cars will have a trouble with you. I really believe the the Ford car is better, and I was as ignorant as your friends before my first drive in the 01 and it easily won me over. The terminator is a totally different story. Enjoy your car for what it is and go with it, it is a hobby and a few easy bolt ons and your runnin all over Camaros/WS6s.

Good luck and happy modding. The bolt ons youd be looking at a cheese for anyone with basic tools to do.

Last edited:

Competition

Hood Rich
Established Member
The LS1 is a good engine, but their drivetrains are not reliable.

But the 28 spline IRS is built of steel? LOL

As the owner of a 2000 Z28 and a 2001 Cobra (and a 2004 Cobra) I can tell you that the LS1 is far superior. With a cam swap, longtube headers, and a good intake, I made 444 rwhp and went 11.40s with a built auto. Stone stock the car went 13.28 @ 107. Pretty hard to make north of 450hp with a NA 99/01 engine, when a cam and some bolt ons get a LS1 there. The T56 in the LS1 is no weaker than the T56 in the 03/04 Cobra, though it has a better Hydraulic clutch system instead of the old style cable operated.

My 01 Cobra with 4.10s and exhaust and slicks had a hard time going high 12s. I would take a LS1 F body over a 99/01 Cobra any day. Infact sometimes I still prefer my LS1 over my 04 Cobra.

Enjoy your car for what it is and go with it, it is a hobby and a few easy bolt ons and your runnin all over Camaros/WS6s.

Yeah, just hope THEY don't have a few easy bolt ons too or you're ****ed.

Last edited:

01greycobra

Built and Blown!
Established Member
You can build any car to perform and make the power that you want. My best friend has a ws6 and I love his car. But for me, the cobra is just sexier. Plus he's never beaten me. ;)

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread