are ls1 cars better?

Robbiejaegle

Established Member
i resently sold a 99 trans am that i had for years i loved it but sold it because it had a flood title and did not want to dump anymore money into it. i was going to buy a red 2000 trans am ws6 but found this 99 cobra and thought i was offered a good deal $8600 for a black 99 cobra with 67k original miles and clean title. all my buddys are all gm fans and said that the mustang sucks and that i should have bought a ls1 car. since i have bought this car i love it but my friends still give me crap saying that a ls1 car is way better and that i was stupid for buying this cobra. does anyone have any input on this? are ls1 cars better? should i have went for a trans am rather than a cobra?

pbeechner

Established Member
-______- Really asking us???? haha. The LS1 is a good engine, but their drivetrains are not reliable. Other than that, pretty much everyone here is going to tell you that you made the right choice.....

Just relax and enjoy your cobra!! :burnout::burnout:

Robbiejaegle

Established Member
thanks i have a ls1 account and they said my cobra since its a 99 is a useless pile of junk and that i overpaid and my friends say that they are right

pbeechner

Established Member
thanks i have a ls1 account and they said my cobra since its a 99 is a useless pile of junk and that i overpaid and my friends say that they are right

Nah what you paid was about right and the '99 Cobra specifically is probably the best handling - weight balanced Mustang that Ford ever made, besides the new Boss. As long as you enjoy the car, it doesn't matter what your friends that made poor decisions buying LS1's think...

01slowbra46

2014 GT Premium.
Established Member
Well i beat my friends ls1 that has more bolt ons than i do, and he has half the miles and is a 6 speed car. Best mod on a na 4v is gears! With gears and tune and a sra swap i wen 12.74@109 stock manifold, paper filter etc. Plus my interior rattles less and imo is more comfortable to drive.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
definitely the right place to ask which is better. I think I will go over to LS1TEcH and ask them which is better. I bet I will get a totally unbiased answer there.

since your friends are apparently cheby fanbois what do you expect them to say?

I suggest a better class of "friends"

i resently sold a 99 trans am that i had for years i loved it but sold it because it had a flood title and did not want to dump anymore money into it. i was going to buy a red 2000 trans am ws6 but found this 99 cobra and thought i was offered a good deal $8600 for a black 99 cobra with 67k original miles and clean title. all my buddys are all gm fans and said that the mustang sucks and that i should have bought a ls1 car. since i have bought this car i love it but my friends still give me crap saying that a ls1 car is way better and that i was stupid for buying this cobra. does anyone have any input on this? are ls1 cars better? should i have went for a trans am rather than a cobra?

01yellercobra

Established Member
I never had an LS1 car, but I did have an 87 Formula (sllllooowww) and a 94 Trans Am. The Trans Am was fun and I liked the LT1. I even considered getting a WS6 at one point. But I ended up in a GT and now my Cobra. Which I love even more then the Trans Am.

All it really comes down to is if you like the car. Seeing as this is the second post with you asking if you got a good deal I'm thinking your friends are really influencing you. Either you'll end up selling the car to be a follower, or you'll find a better crowd to hang out with that enjoys different types of cars. Half the people in my "club" don't even own Mustangs anymore. Even though we're called socalstangs.

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I bought my '99 Cobra over 3 years ago, and while in some ways it is sort of the bastard child of the New Edge Cobras, it's a great platform and has the stronger block (Teksid) compared with the 2001 models. You already have gears, so if you just add some bolt-ons and a tune you'll have yourself a really quick and responsive car that is a blast to drive.

And what exactly did you expect your friends to say? Hahaha, would be no different if the shoe was on the other foot.

fangs99

Established Member
The LS1 does have it's advantages more so NA.....but for what you would spend in a H/C/I setup you can put boost to your cobra for the same price or less, make the same power or more and have better street manners...... Plus like what others have said the F body cars have a tooth pick of a rear axle thats equal to a 99-04 v6 mustangs. Now one thing about the 4.6 4V cars is they rev higher than a ls1 so you can always make up some of the tq loss with more rear gear.

But I'll bet that if you do some research on here you will be suprised what these little 4.6's can do.

MrCaliKrome

Established Member
When comparing an LS1 in a Vette, I think they are way better for daily driving and get ridiculous good gas mileage (30+ hwy) with great HP right out of the box (considering the power/weight ratio). I'm still trying to get used to the gas mileage of my Terminator :-/

However, its all about enjoying what you like. Everyday there will be a newer, better, faster car created.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
i resently sold a 99 trans am

:banana: you can now get rid of the mullet.

The 99s can make decent power with bolt ons, 325-330rw. The IRS makes the car heavy and hinders launches but a solid rear axle can fix these shortcomings.

With the following it can be in the low 12s:
4.30s to 4.56s
1 3/4" primary long tubes
ported intake
good air filter
march fluid damper along with their water pump and hydraboost pullies
K member
drag radials

Mr.Soup

complete modular newb
Established Member
I bought my '99 Cobra over 3 years ago, and while in some ways it is sort of the bastard child of the New Edge Cobras, it's a great platform and has the stronger block (Teksid) compared with the 2001 models. You already have gears, so if you just add some bolt-ons and a tune you'll have yourself a really quick and responsive car that is a blast to drive.

And what exactly did you expect your friends to say? Hahaha, would be no different if the shoe was on the other foot.

My 01 has a teksid block:shrug:

00_silvergt

Established Member
When i think of the ls1 motors or ls2 and whatever else they have out there. I see them as old technology. Like the cars that are coming out now. Ford came out with the modular engine which wasn't great at first in my opinion. But look at it now, a 5.0 dohc putting out 420hp. The camaro i believe is a 6.2l putting out about the same? Mustang has the better Hp per litres. And is lighter when compared to camaros. Chevy guys say if it ain't broke why mess with it! Well they are now being left behind. I would like to see a new 5.8l n/a mustang up against a new 6.2l n/a camaro. The mustang will win and it still has a smaller engine. So in my opinion a modular engine is better.

na svt

say no to power adders
Established Member
Old technology: a head, cam LS1 will make 440 at the wheels
New technology: head, cam mod 4.6 4v makes 380 at the wheels

Pushrods still work and Chevy's new LT1 proves that. It also have variable cam timing and other tricks similar to those in the 5.0s. Also, how many head, cam fox bodies run 10s? Quite a few and most have have iron block, pushrod LSs in them.

The LS in the new camaro can gain some big power with mods, the new 5.0s on the other hand are pretty much tapped out. Just because the 6.2 doesn't make more power in stock form doesn't mean that it can't when modded.

Robbiejaegle

Established Member

my car looks just like yours but its not lowered like yours i like the way yours sits

Users who are viewing this thread