Are a lot of people forgetting the 2011 GT is still a GT?

Grant808

Established Member
IMHO... used is the ONLY WAY to buy cars. Buying new includes the first on the block penalty which is only slightly offset by a little more warranty.

That was my rule too..but then I broke it to buy my GT. NO REGRETS HERE. :banana: I bought my '03 Cobra 'vert used instead of an '07 or '08 GT500 with the plan to get one of those used when they got to the low 30s for a coupe. The new 5.0 changed that plan.

I do think that prices on the '11s might soften a bit for the guys who can wait a bit more...but after test driving the manual...I HAD TO buy.

I have been tracking the prices still...and it is possible to buy a stripped down GT for reasonable (IMO) prices.

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
If you're buying a car like this, it's more than likely a hobby to you. I for one have no problems spending my hard earned money on my hobby's.

With that said, The resale on my 08 GT/CS that I traded for my '11 was darn good. I left with no negative equity and got a fair deal in my '11.

I will say that the refinements in interior quality, ride/handling etc are definitely apparent, even over a later model S197 car. Add things like Sync, Brembo Package etc that weren't even available on the older cars and of coarse it's going to be more expensive.

five.slow

El Jefe
Established Member
That was my rule too..but then I broke it to buy my GT. NO REGRETS HERE. :banana: I bought my '03 Cobra 'vert used instead of an '07 or '08 GT500 with the plan to get one of those used when they got to the low 30s for a coupe. The new 5.0 changed that plan.

I do think that prices on the '11s might soften a bit for the guys who can wait a bit more...but after test driving the manual...I HAD TO buy.

I have been tracking the prices still...and it is possible to buy a stripped down GT for reasonable (IMO) prices.

i saw a 2011 5.0 6 speed with electric windows and seats as the only option for 30k and it even had a spoiler so i know you can get one for 30... but yea im like you when i drove it i HAD to have it.

Lifted07Duramax

Established Member
Guys just to make it clear its not that I cant afford a new 2011 GT. I just figured if one that can be had for $32k brand new now will be able to be had for $27k used around July. Then Id probably wait. I doubt my truck is gonna depreciate anywhere close to $5k in 6 months.

svt04cobra1

Established Member
Damn, very good point!!! Sometimes the obvious just doesnt compute in my head :lol:

That being said I guess Im just trying to figure out if I should wait til mid 2011 and get a 2011 GT for mid 20s or fully loaded for 27kish
I can afford a brand new one right now thats not the issue. I just hate parting with money and look at every possible option and go with the best option.

If I wait til mid 2011 my truck will depreciate more also maybe not as much as the mustang though being mines a 2007. Ugh decisions decisions

The other thing to keep in mind even waiting to buy for 27K is anything new you drive off the lot is already worth less. The only way around that is to buy used then the person trading it in takes the hit on depreciation. :beer:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
Guys just to make it clear its not that I cant afford a new 2011 GT. I just figured if one that can be had for $32k brand new now will be able to be had for $27k used around July. Then Id probably wait. I doubt my truck is gonna depreciate anywhere close to $5k in 6 months.

It's too early to tell if that's going to happen.

Ford's projected resale values on many of their cars is increasing.

I can tell you that in my specific location, there are still dealers selling used 05-09 cars in the mid 20's. The dealer I traded mine to has it currently listed at 23,995 for a GT/CS loaded but without nav and glass roof with 25,000 on the clock.

Whether they actually get that for the car is anybody's guess.

Each market will be different of coarse.

Will purchasing a used '11 be cheaper? Yes, it always is when it comes to the initial purchase.

However there are some things worth mentioning. What if the cars don't depreciate in value at your expected rate? Would you pay an extra couple thousand to have a car you know was never molested and has a full factory backed warranty?

To some that's not important, and why we all have choices. My personal experience with used cars has been distasteful to say the least. So for me, I buy new. Does it cost me a bit extra? Yes, but it saves me a lot in piece of mind.

I will say this however. Whatever you decide, you'll be happy with the purchase. These cars are fantastic!

Last edited:

snkchmr 1

If you dont have to have the best of the best you can get a cloth GT for hight 27,XXX

Grant808

Established Member
If you dont have to have the best of the best you can get a cloth GT for hight 27,XXX
That's exactly what I mean.

If you're talking a fully optioned car taking that kind of hit...I doubt it. The economy is (slowwly) getting better, and I don't see dealers dumping their inventory of '11s until late in the year if there is overproduction of '12s. And I'm certain that won't be the case. $5k is just too much of a drop. Also keep in mind that these cars will only be in production for 3 years before the body change for '14.

Digital

Established Member
There is nothing untrue about my statement. In fact a lot of the 03 Cobra's had a $5K ADM over MSRP when they were new. Are you saying the 2011 GT isn't mod friendly or capable? :dw:
I would never compare the two vehicles. Night and day.

shadowstang03gt

Established Member
u pay a price to have a new car. for me right now its worth it to be the first one to own the car. Knowing no one beat on it. i have been lucky this is my 2nd brand new mustang, i also had a brand new SVT focus. so this is my 3rd new car. nothing beats the feeling of a new car. esp, when u have to work hard to save and buy it.

Silver5Oh

Established Member
I usually dont by new cars either myself. But i test drove it, and all the numbers lined up. Plus i doubt i would have had 9500 to put as a down payment ever agian. Just right car, right time.

Yea, i coulda traded my other car in for a cobra and put 9500ish into performance and had a 650whp+ machine. But honestly, i didnt want to buy a car that is notorious for being beat on. If i have the choice, which i did, i wanted the car that was just as fast, but never beat on by anyone other than me. My 11 had 4 miles when i bought it.

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
why do people pay $65k for a fully loaded king ranch powerstroke F450? you can pick up a brand new superduty just under $30k after all.
because they have the money and they want one. what more reason does anyone need?

Kn38ms

Glockaholic...
Established Member
A cloth seat, manual GT with XPlan and rebates can be had
for $26K +TTL. THAT is a performance bargain.
IMO the premium option, CS BS is a waste of money. Adds cost, nothing else.
Its a Mustang, not an M3

cobra916

Established Member
just wait.. oh interior is better..umm motor is better...ahhh dahhh thats how this car busniess works.. its just a gt.. nothing crazy.. yes its a nice car but this motor will be a slut for ford.. you ll be able to get it in everthing..plus the crate motors they will be selling left and right..have you guys seen the new 370z.. 1M.. alot of super nice cars are comming out or are here.

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
IMHO... used is the ONLY WAY to buy cars. Buying new includes the first on the block penalty which is only slightly offset by a little more warranty.
But since we are not talking about BMW, Audi, or Porsche getting stuff fixed just isn't that expensive to justify taking that depreciation hit.

The value on my Mystichrome TANKED crazy bad, I made an exception to my own rule on that one and I'll never do it again.:nonono:

Right on the money!!! Or, less money actually. We don't need to be on the "bleeding edge". "Previously owned"...works for me.

TermNewb

Banned
This.

I can't see the new 5.0s worth 20k in 2 years, unless they are

A) Salvaged
or
B) High miles

Maybe the 3.7L will be worth 20k in 2 years, and I'm alright with that. ;)

So you think a fully loaded 5.0 that MSRP for 40K or more will all of a sudden lose 50% value is 2 years? That means I should be able to get a 08 for like 10K. Crusty 2002 LS1 F-body cars still sell for around that. GTFO of here.

JL-KA

Established Member
I bought my first new car when I was 19. Huge mistake. I'll never do it again. I'm counting on being able to find a '11GT with under 30k miles for under $20k in late 2012 early 2013 and when that day comes, I'll buy one...earlier if I get a better job. If I can find a Sterling Grey with red leather fully loaded w/glass roof I'll be in HEAVEN! but I'm not counting on it haha.

Last edited:

Torch10th

I make hits
Established Member
I bought my first new car when I was 19. Huge mistake. I'll never do it again. I'm counting on being able to find a '11GT with under 30k miles for under $20k in late 2012 early 2013 and when that day comes, I'll buy one...earlier if I get a better job. If I can find a Sterling Grey with red leather fully loaded w/glass roof I'll be in HEAVEN! but I'm not counting on it haha.

I can guarantee you that unless you change your want list, this will not happen by 2012 or early 13. You'll have to wait until the 2014 redesign at the very earliest. And then it's going to depend on the styling and upgrades on that model. If it meets a lot of resistance as the 2010 refresh did, expect the price to go up.

You'll be able to get into one sooner for your price if you go with a base GT with fewer options, or you find one that was driven extensively.

The S197 cars don't have that bad of depreciation. Many dealers still want in the mid to upper 20's depending on mileage, options and conditions. Auction prices for average GT's in the 07-09 range is anywhere from high teens to low 20's. These are auction prices mind you, about the lowest you're going to see. Market price is generally always higher.

Unless you find a guy hard out to get rid of a car because of financial trouble, I seriously doubt you're going to find a 401A rapid spec before 2014 for anything less than mid to upper 20's. In 2012, you'll still be looking at prices in the 30's. I would bet on it.

Last edited:

NC STANG GUY

03 gone but not forgotten
Established Member
Unless you find a guy hard out to get rid of a car because of financial trouble, I seriously doubt you're going to find a 401A rapid spec before 2014 for anything less than mid to upper 20's. In 2012, you'll still be looking at prices in the 30's. I would bet on it.

:dw: I know....not think..that you're way off on that one.

Here's two premium 11' GT's (not a 401s but I'm sure sure you'll see them soon,401a wasn't exactly an expensive option at $395) for 26,990-27,988 already.

AutoTrader Ad.

and

Autotrader Ad.

Sure in three years time you'll be able to find just a few more than those two for that price or a LOT less.

These cars are mustangs....even though Ford is doing better they'll still depreciate. Just the way it goes...not some personal attack on people's choice of car as some seem to take it. I've had plenty of mustangs (03 10th anniversary cobra,02 GT,etc,etc) and know how it is.

I've only bought one car new..that was the 02 GT because it was on X plan and 0% finacing. Sold it a little over 2 years later for a touch more than half the sticker..
I bought my 03 cobra off here from a classified ad in September of 04....with 7500 miles on it for 25,000....which admittedly was a steal at the time. Sticker was 36K+ being a 10th anniversary.... did it hurt my feelings that it'd already dropped 10K in a year? Heck no.... I enjoyed the car for 4 years and then sold it.

Whole point is....these are still "just" Mustang GT's..... and the price will drop in time as it always has.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread