Apten Oval Port. It may like 16+ lbs. of boost. Lets see!

Dominick32

BANNED
I did the Apten Port job a couple of months ago as you all know. I posted my results on here and I cant say I wasnt satisfied. My horsepower numbers were encroaching 500rwhp and my torque was "OK".

I lost 20ft. lbs. of torque and gained 20 hp with the new apten oval port. However, I am using a 2.93 pulley and only seeing 12.5lbs of boost.

I have a theory that will be tested out very soon about my low torque numbers and less than 500 horsepower numbers.

From what my understanding is that when the torque numbers are higher than the horsepower numbers it means our Eatons lost there efficiency.

With my numbers 492rwhp and 472rwtq my blower is still very efficient.

My plan is to order MJ's MAF Xtender, order a 4lb. lower pulley kit and get this thing re-tuned. This will seriously test out if the new Apten oval port enjoys having 16+ pounds of boost.

I can predict horsepower numbers of around 505 and torque numbers around 525 to the wheels.

Dom
www.svtsnake.com

BADASS03SVT

Established Member
sounds good!! i think im going with that combo so im anxious to see!

LTHL VNM

Don't call it a comeback
Established Member
this should be interesting........i can't wait to see the numbers!
good luck dom!

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by LTHL VNM
this should be interesting........i can't wait to see the numbers!
good luck dom!
Thanks man.
I will post and keep you guys informed both on SVT Snake.com and SVT Performance.

Dom

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Dom, don't expect too much of a HP gain. Your car will be sick though bud. Be sure to show us an overlapping dyno graph too.

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by dgussin1
Dom, don't expect too much of a HP gain. Your car will be sick though bud. Be sure to show us an overlapping dyno graph too.

Dave, I consider that 10rwhp gain perfect . Thats all that i need to bring me above 500. Its the torque thats gonna hit me real nice.

This is an experiment based on my theory,lol. lets see how i do.

Dom

Last edited:

dgussin1

If I offend you, IDGAF
Established Member
Originally posted by Dominick32
Dave, I consider that 10rwhp gain perfect . Thats all that i need to bring me above 500. Its the torque thats gonna hit me real nice.

Dom
oh yeah, the torque will be sick. I wish I could go for a ride.:burnout:

Hissssnsvt

Proud MACA Member
Established Member
Good luck with your theory Dom, I'm interested in seeing how it works out for you. I am also seeing exactly 12.5 #'s of boost with my 2.90 pulley. Does your boost fall off any in the upper RPM's? That could be why you lost torque.

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by Hissssnsvt
Good luck with your theory Dom, I'm interested in seeing how it works out for you. I am also seeing exactly 12.5 #'s of boost with my 2.90 pulley. Does your boost fall off any in the upper RPM's? That could be why you lost torque.

Thanks everyone. I am excited to see how this pans out myself.

Hissssnsvt,
And to answer your question no. My boost doesnt fall off at all. It holds strong in the upper rpms. There is not even any evidence of belt slip w/out the idler. The same thing holds true to another poster on here (stangfreak). We purchased our aptens about 1 week apart. He is also another long islander. We have perfect a/f and horsepower/torque curves. Its just that our numbers arent there.

Dom
www.svtsnake.com

Last edited:

jeffsvt

Established Member
I just recently installed the same combo I don't have any numbers from the track or the dyno yet . Using the Predator to data log I'm maxing out the stock MAF around 5800- 6000rpms . So I'm going to get a mafextender and ofcourse a new tune and get some numbers at the track with it .

I do know one thing the car is a friggin animal when I put my foot in it ! I'm seeing 17psi with my combo . I haven't taken the car over 6000rpms since data logging but the boost holds steady up to that point .

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Good luck as well Dom with your theory. It should be interesting. Knowing you, though, you won't be content until you milk that motor until you gotten everything out of it. LOL! Keep us posted.

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by CobraBob
Good luck as well Dom with your theory. It should be interesting. Knowing you, though, you won't be content until you milk that motor until you gotten everything out of it. LOL! Keep us posted.

hehe. Bob you know me too well. :)
But, if im not satisfied after this latest trial, I think a KB or Whipple could be coming in the near future.

One step at a time though. Lets see how this works out.

Dom

Last edited:

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by jeffsvt
I just recently installed the same combo I don't have any numbers from the track or the dyno yet . Using the Predator to data log I'm maxing out the stock MAF around 5800- 6000rpms . So I'm going to get a mafextender and ofcourse a new tune and get some numbers at the track with it .

I do know one thing the car is a friggin animal when I put my foot in it ! I'm seeing 17psi with my combo . I haven't taken the car over 6000rpms since data logging but the boost holds steady up to that point .
Jeff.
What size belt are you using?

Dom

mike79

Evvverrrlonngg
Established Member
DOm, dyno before you put on the lower! On the same day! This way you get a better reference as to what it did for your car. And make sure you dyno with it warm, not cold. (more accurate number)

fubu795

Banned
I just installed my apten, 6lb lower, and HE. I'm awaiting a tune and I will get my dyno charts up. I already have a 2.8 upper, UPR xpipe, FIPK, MAC 3 inch catback.

Im predicting 510/540 I'm going for my 10 second goal, time will tell I guess....

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by fubu795
I just installed my apten, 6lb lower, and HE. I'm awaiting a tune and I will get my dyno charts up. I already have a 2.8 upper, UPR xpipe, FIPK, MAC 3 inch catback.

Im predicting 510/540 I'm going for my 10 second goal, time will tell I guess....
Wow! A 6 lb. lower with the 2.80. How much total boost are you running? Must be a blast to drive!

jeffsvt

Established Member
Originally posted by Dominick32
Jeff.
What size belt are you using?

Dom

I first tried the Gatorback 4080772 but it wouldn't fit . I then went to the parts store and ended up picking up a Gates K080780 that fit good . The tensioner rides close to the tight setting with it .

One thing I also have my idler located in the low position on the idler relocation bracket supplied in the lower kit . That might make a difference and it might not with belt sizes I honestly have no idea .

46stang

Established Member
I was kind of thinking the same way you are dom. My apten lost like 3rwtq and gained 28rwhp. I ordered a 2lb lower to go with my 2.80 upper. My car saw 13.5 psi on the dyno and held so i figured a 2lb lower would get me 15psi on crappy Calif. 91 octane! Im hoping to get some tq back as well! good luck and look forward to your results :beer:
Leon

Dominick32

BANNED
Originally posted by 46stang
I was kind of thinking the same way you are dom. My apten lost like 3rwtq and gained 28rwhp. I ordered a 2lb lower to go with my 2.80 upper. My car saw 13.5 psi on the dyno and held so i figured a 2lb lower would get me 15psi on crappy Calif. 91 octane! Im hoping to get some tq back as well! good luck and look forward to your results :beer:
Leon

Thanks Leon.
Im pretty sure (atleast im hoping) that all these aptens are asking for is more boost. :) Lets hope thats the case and I get all my torque back and then some.

Dom

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread