Anyone running a battery tender?

Skitzerman

NE Philly
Established Member
I've used a battery tender for the 14 years I've owned the car. I don't dd the car, so the tender is always doing it's thing. I just recently replaced the original battery, so 13.5 years on the tender, before it died. Get a battery tender with the auto desulfate function.

oxford03cobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Yeah I've been using one for years since I run a small dynabatt for weight reduction they work great my car sits a lot and its never had a problem cranking up

Badass_Forever

Established Member
I use Ctek on everything i own. Jay leno uses them on all this cars. I've had a Redtop 1000ca in the stang since i've owned it, 8 years and its still perfect.

jays Video -

olympic

Established Member
I use them on my Yukon and Cobra because they sit for long periods and will drain the battery down if they are not driven for a couple of weeks. It's on my to-do list to track down what is causing the drain.

Brutal Metal

Established Member
I don't drive the Cobra much at all it's in the garage, I have the battery disconnected and monitor it periodically with a volt meter. It takes a LONG time for it to discharge. When it gets below 12.2 I put the tender on it.

einehund

Established Member
I park the GT500 every winter, and then also do military deployments, so the car often sits for months or a year at a time. Battery tender is a must!

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
honestly unless you have a race car or something that could possibly drain the battery its really not necessary.

if u start ur car up every few weeks in the winter and drive it it will be fine. I use to need one on my Turbo drag motorcycle cause of all the electrical crap I had on it causing a slow draw.

if its gonna sit for months then yea its probably a good idea.

blue 07

Established Member
I agree with gnbrett. They both sit all winter. I start both cars once a month and move them around to eliminate any flat spots on the tires as well.

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
It's almost a "must-have" for C6 owners who don't drive their cars very often. I've been using a CTEK on my Z since I bought it back in '09.

U.M.

GodStang

Established Member
Yep since 2005. Don’t daily drive so have too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Z06

Established Member
I agree with gnbrett. They both sit all winter. I start both cars once a month and move them around to eliminate any flat spots on the tires as well.

While I agree, this may not work for those who get deployed? Some guys keep them in storage or @ home with no one to start them. I have one on my Avalanche as I don't DD it as I use to. I have a parasitic drain Ive yet to figure out and the tender works great.

13COBRA

Resident Ford Dealer
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Use one on my Viper. Just the cheap Walmart one. I've had the same one for years. Used it on all my cars and my bikes.

bfaec78f-edf8-4c3e-8205-1c35a837ad2f_1.41914b7586c41fecdf78d3eacf277e32.jpg

apex svt

MEAN STREAK
Established Member
Mine stays on the car year round. I bolted the little pig tail to the battery so it’s plug in or unplug and go. Got one built into the boat for dual battery charging when it sits in storage. Never had an issue.

98 svt

Established Member
Premium Member
I've been using one on my Mother's motorhome for 10+ years, all year round. Still going strong. She only uses the camper 2 weeks a year.
When I'm over to visit, I will sometimes start it up just for shits and giggles.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I have 3 or 4 from Napa and they work great. I actually pull the batteries from rarely used equipment (trailer, boats, projects, etc) and keep them on a shelf in the garage and rotate one tender between them.

johnkn

Established Member
I'm sure everyone knows that rather than clamping the leads on the battery you can use the cigarette lighter adaptor on the Battery Tender and just plug it into the cigarette lighter in most cars to keep the battery fresh. No need to open the hood, I always keep the windows cracked under the car covers anyway and just run the cord out the window, under the cover and to the BT. Also, they are NOT meant to be used on the new AGM Autolite ($350) reproduction batteries used in 60s/70s cars. That manufacturer now includes a note saying to only use a 15 amp changer, and use only when the voltage drops below the threshold.

Users who are viewing this thread