Anyone Own A Newer Silverado?

josephcostello

Established Member
Haven't noticed hard shifts (trans was flushed at 50k by dealer), but the trans does suck. Doesn't know what it's doing half the time. I use manual mode when towing also

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Haven't noticed hard shifts (trans was flushed at 50k by dealer), but the trans does suck. Doesn't know what it's doing half the time. I use manual mode when towing also

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

I had a few parking lot hard hits from 1-2 shift was told it’s normal as it is learning. But after crosses 10,000kms it’s been smooth as butter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Voltwings

Established Member
I got the 5.0. Drove the eco and it drove like a v6 truck. Felt like it struggled on the highway compared to the 5.0.

... not sure if serious?

I have a 2017 v6 colorado, and they'll run a 14.7 1/4 off the showroom floor, so its not exactly slow. The ecoboosts, even the 2.7 have MOUNTAINS of torque compared to my truck, and if you look at a dyno they have mountains of torque compared to the 5.0 as well... it's literally no comparison. Not sure what you were feeling.

On that same note, i got a Colorado because of the prices of F-150s and Silverados. I really enjoyed the 2.7 EB i drove, but it was like 37k for a bare bones 4x4 ... same with the silverado. I really wanted an F-150 but i have to be honest in saying i prefer chevy's infotainment system but again, by the time i got some options on the Silverado (and the required 4x4 i needed) it was like $45k... i got a fully loaded Colorado 8k off msrp (incentives, year end, and my wife's teacher discount) for $33k out the door.

F-150s hold their value like crazy around here, it seems used ones almost start at 100k miles, and they're still $25k-30K so why not buy new at that point?

matab14

pop up and do less....
Established Member
Have 15 Sierra with the Carbon Fiber package and really like it thus far. Pull's my 18 ft boat with 0 troubles and will average between 20-22mpg for daily highway commutes. I flipped to GM as well after owning 4 ford trucks because of the price. Option wise a similar truck from Ford was 12k higher and I just couldn't justify that. I typically keep my vehicles for around 5 years on average as well. Thus far it's given me no reason to run back to Ford.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
29425604_1896241107105825_8173276056518656000_n.png

kAlMt0m.jpg

Sonic605hp

Resident Prick.
Established Member
Must be something in your area.... Fords bring more money where I am, have for several years. Maybe it has to do with more of them in the market place? Fords outsell Chevy and dodge nearly 2 to 1 in the new truck market so maybe that's creating that effect in the used market.

Not hereView attachment 1474456

Holy wow. That’s a bad go. Friday suv maybe.

Like I mentioned I will more then likely end up in a exposition as well.
Not really brand loyal here just price point. I will however defend what I drive. Lol

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Must be something in your area.... Fords bring more money where I am, have for several years. Maybe it has to do with more of them in the market place? Fords outsell Chevy and dodge nearly 2 to 1 in the new truck market so maybe that's creating that effect in the used market.

I would actually tend to agree.
A lot more ford rolling around here and with the oil slow down. A lot more sitting and unfortunately being returned to lots.

me32

BEASTLY SHELBY GT500 TVS
Premium Member
they probably do need service and that is my chief complaint about DI motors in general...I wish the ecoboost had port injection and DI like the 5.0 in the 2018 stangs.

The good news its 2018s F150 have both in the 2.7,3.5, and 5.0. There all called gen 2

Elswick84

Established Member
... not sure if serious?

I have a 2017 v6 colorado, and they'll run a 14.7 1/4 off the showroom floor, so its not exactly slow. The ecoboosts, even the 2.7 have MOUNTAINS of torque compared to my truck, and if you look at a dyno they have mountains of torque compared to the 5.0 as well... it's literally no comparison. Not sure what you were feeling.

On that same note, i got a Colorado because of the prices of F-150s and Silverados. I really enjoyed the 2.7 EB i drove, but it was like 37k for a bare bones 4x4 ... same with the silverado. I really wanted an F-150 but i have to be honest in saying i prefer chevy's infotainment system but again, by the time i got some options on the Silverado (and the required 4x4 i needed) it was like $45k... i got a fully loaded Colorado 8k off msrp (incentives, year end, and my wife's teacher discount) for $33k out the door.

F-150s hold their value like crazy around here, it seems used ones almost start at 100k miles, and they're still $25k-30K so why not buy new at that point?
Very serious. I hated the eco. Test drove them all. To each his own. But not for me. I know ppl that love it. Im not one of them. May sound weird. But it felt exactly like it reads it is. A v6 motor in a full size truck. It felt like it was strugglin to me goin down the highway. Then got in the 5.0 felt right at home.

Coiled03

Established Member
Very serious. I hated the eco. Test drove them all. To each his own. But not for me. I know ppl that love it. Im not one of them. May sound weird. But it felt exactly like it reads it is. A v6 motor in a full size truck. It felt like it was strugglin to me goin down the highway. Then got in the 5.0 felt right at home.

I imagine you were biased towards the 5.0 to begin with, then, even if you didn't know it. If you're strictly talking about how it feels, torque is what makes a vehicle feel fast. The Eco has more torque, proven time and again. Therefore, there's no logical explanation for why the 5.0 would feel faster.

It's alright. I don't particularly care for the Ecos either.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
The good news its 2018s F150 have both in the 2.7,3.5, and 5.0. There all called gen 2

Ya I heard that as well long as the dual injectors keep everything clean that going to be hard to beat factory stock. Unfortunately I cannot step into a 2018 price wise.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
I imagine you were biased towards the 5.0 to begin with, then, even if you didn't know it. If you're strictly talking about how it feels, torque is what makes a vehicle feel fast. The Eco has more torque, proven time and again. Therefore, there's no logical explanation for why the 5.0 would feel faster.

This. To me an EcoBoost feels like a diesel except it's lighter, uses cheaper fuel, and costs less to buy and maintain.

Ya I heard that as well long as the dual injectors keep everything clean that going to be hard to beat factory stock. Unfortunately I cannot step into a 2018 price wise.

It was done to improve emissions (EcoBoost engines we producing about 40Xs [guesstimation] the soot of a 6.7 Powerstroke), but a side benefit is the port injector spraying on the back of the valves should help prevent carbon buildup.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
This. To me an EcoBoost feels like a diesel except it's lighter, uses cheaper fuel, and costs less to buy and maintain.

It was done to improve emissions (EcoBoost engines we producing about 40Xs [guesstimation] the soot of a 6.7 Powerstroke), but a side benefit is the port injector spraying on the back of the valves should help prevent carbon buildup.
Holly crap really...wow I would've never guessed that. wait was that soot level before or after the Ford diesel gate?
Ive done small amount of research and snow performance rep has suggested that a methanol kit would really help with soot build up, I asked him to show me some pic's but had none. At this point I think it to be more a theory

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Holly crap really...wow I would've never guessed that. wait was that soot level before or after the Ford diesel gate?
Ive done small amount of research and snow performance rep has suggested that a methanol kit would really help with soot build up, I asked him to show me some pic's but had none. At this point I think it to be more a theory

Here's an article about DI engines and soot production:

http://articles.sae.org/13624/

Elswick84

Established Member

Very possible i was biased lol but not saying faster. Im just saying goin down the highway at 55-60 it felt like it was under more load. Straining more. Or maybe im full of poo idk. Didnt like it.

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Here's an article about DI engines and soot production:

http://articles.sae.org/13624/

Such a shame how long it takes for anything to get done. They know it is a problem, have a better way to do it in 2014 and nothing gets implemented fully unit 2021..that's crazy.
Seems like we just keep trading evil for other evil in the pursuit of better emisions

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Such a shame how long it takes for anything to get done. They know it is a problem, have a better way to do it in 2014 and nothing gets implemented fully unit 2021..that's crazy.
Seems like we just keep trading evil for other evil in the pursuit of better emisions

I saw an old man on TV say it best when he claimed he could drive his old 60s Chevy truck for the rest of his life and still produce less pollution than it takes to build one new Prius.

Voltwings

Established Member
It's all in the tuning. Ford basically employed a pseudo Atkinson cycle engine with their DI engines to help keep the valves clean. This tuning process, in a nutshell, involves leaving the intake valve open the first 20-30% of piston travel towards TDC. This obviously pushes some of the air / fuel charge back into the runner, but the positive pressure from the turbos keeps the charge from making its way all the way back to the IM, and instead swirls and cleans the intake valve. It does involve 2 injection cycles, a pre "cleaning" injection cycle and the actual combustion cycle. Top that with the fact that Ford (and all OEMs for that fact) has to tune the cars SUPER rich because no one knows how to take proper care of a turbo car and will neglect the maintenance and run whatever piss gas is cheapest.

I would expect the 2018s with DI / PI to eliminate the current tuning cycle and see a significant real-world MPG bump.

Users who are viewing this thread