Anyone Interested in a Hellion BlowThrough setup?

TRBO VNM

Mike,

good points, but I could argue some of them.

bottom line, the way the hellion kit comes it works just fine and you could run 9's with it and have great driveability. any kits out there have possible upgrades/changes people would like to do or actually do do. hell, on the other site someone posted about stalling issues and he has a HP kit that is a blow thru, so it isn't just draw thru that has issues.

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
I'm curious about making my own piece. There are many companies that sell the necessary tube with the MAF slot alreay welded in for about 200. You just need to get tubing and get creative. Here's one link just in a quick search.

PMAS Blow Through Aluminum Pro Tube Mustang

I don't think there are enough of us running around out there to make the money off of this set up. How about a How to for the community instead of a buy now. I may start working on one next weekend.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
maybe not in your car, but every car is different. he corrected it in a lot of others with the standard design. some cars just can't be 100% curable.

Mike, it is either the RBV-H34 or the RBV-H.

When I get my car together or if badsube or someone else brings their car I plan to make a blow thru setup as well that should be easy to reproduce for my fabricator. I have a couple other ideas to change it from the one I did for 03 whippled cobra.

Ah gotcha. He had recommended converting to blow through to correct it. Jason, I will be in touch with you soon for that conversion though. It's worth the drive for the improved drivability and not to forget the ability to vent to the atmosphere :)

Mike@TCI

Established Member
I'm not saying draw through is horrible, but just pointing out the positives to blow through, which are factual, and have been proven. Draw through does work, and that is a fact as well. It's all about what you want out of it though. Sure most get away with turbo kits as they come, but I feel almost every single kit out now, has issues that should have been done right the first time, even if profit is not as high. This isnt a knock down on turbo kits or Hellion, just something I am willing to offer to anyone in need.
The cost alone to do this ( not including consumables, and fabrication cost/time) would run right around $500.
1.5 to 2 hours of welding/fabrication @ $100 hr, means profit is soley in welding/fabrication labor. I could be wrong, but I feel most do not want to invest into fabrication/welding material and equipment to save $150 bucks or so on a high quality part.

I would be more then willing to do a write up or how to on this, but would need a 4v Hellion equiped Mustang to do so.

Last edited:

Mike@TCI

Established Member
For anyone interested in doing this... Here is a basic run down on parts required, if you are to do it the way I mentioned.

MPAS HPX MAF
05+ MAF pigtail ( or Diablosport MAFIA for plug n play)
05+ MAF weld flange
4x7" K&N filter

3.5" 11g 90* Alum bend (2x)
3" 11g 180* Alum bend (1x)
3" 11g 45* Alum bend (1x)
1.5" 1.20 wall 6061 Alum tube (2")

3" 4 ply silicone coupler black (1x)
3"-3.5" reducing silicone coupler black (1x)
3.5"-4.5" reducing silicone coupler black (1x)

3" T bolt clamp (3x)
3.5" T bolt clamp (2x)
4.5" T bolt clamp (1x)

0mineralgrey3

Spooooooolllllll
Established Member
For anyone interested in doing this... Here is a basic run down on parts required, if you are to do it the way I mentioned.

MPAS HPX MAF
05+ MAF pigtail ( or Diablosport MAFIA for plug n play)
05+ MAF weld flange
4x7" K&N filter

3.5" 11g 90* Alum bend (2x)
3" 11g 180* Alum bend (1x)
3" 11g 45* Alum bend (1x)
1.5" 1.20 wall 6061 Alum tube (2")

3" 4 ply silicone coupler black (1x)
3"-3.5" reducing silicone coupler black (1x)
3.5"-4.5" reducing silicone coupler black (1x)

3" T bolt clamp (3x)
3.5" T bolt clamp (2x)
4.5" T bolt clamp (1x)

Good shit! That's what these forum are about.

danny03cobra

Established Member
This sounds like a great plan. I can't imagine why hellion went with the draw-thru design to begin with. Unlike some of the terminators running draw-thru, my tuner could not correct the stalling issue no matter how many relevant parameters he tweaked.

i had the same problem, thats why that Hellion kit was on the car for about 2 months and then sold. Hellion should fix this issue, instead of selling kits that really dont work the way they should.

TRBO VNM

i had the same problem, thats why that Hellion kit was on the car for about 2 months and then sold. Hellion should fix this issue, instead of selling kits that really dont work the way they should.

:lol: they work just fine as sold. your problem was you needed a hands on tuner. you were relying on mail order with your guy there in Cali and Jon Lund. There is only so much a tuner can do via email if the customer isn't getting them all the data they need. Instead, you go and blame the manufacturer of the kit. when originally you stated it was too much power for a street car and that is why you removed it.

there are hundreds of these kits out there. if it was a design poblem, I am sure hellion would address it.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Jason, do you know anyone with a 96-98 Cobra with a 62mm turbo? I'd like to see if they were able to correct the stalling.

TRBO VNM

Jason, do you know anyone with a 96-98 Cobra with a 62mm turbo? I'd like to see if they were able to correct the stalling.

not off the top of my head. this other one I installed was on a 96-98 gt with an auto and he is still running off the email tune.

with the problems you were having with the motor, I would get it all back together and let jon spend a little time with it. you know as well as I do, there were so many different things that you unfortunately had to deal with shortly after getting the car, who knows what was going on.

not every car will be able to have the stalling tuned out. I mean, you could, but the dash pot would be adjusted such that the idle would hang a lot and that will be annoying to drive around with. unfortunately, blow thru is not a sure fire cure either. I have read on here and other sites where they stall as well. not as bad or often or maybe more curable, but they aren't necessarily some magical fix.

Last edited:

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Gotcha, thanks for the advice. The car should be back together within a week or two tops. We're going to reload the tune that Jon had made me and I'll use that until I can get the car back to him so he can spend some time with it as you suggested. I can't wait to her back on the street... The boost is addictive!

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
Haha yup. It's still much quicker than my '94 5.0 with a stock motor though :)

syclone50

Established Member
not off the top of my head. this other one I installed was on a 96-98 gt with an auto and he is still running off the email tune.

with the problems you were having with the motor, I would get it all back together and let jon spend a little time with it. you know as well as I do, there were so many different things that you unfortunately had to deal with shortly after getting the car, who knows what was going on.

not every car will be able to have the stalling tuned out. I mean, you could, but the dash pot would be adjusted such that the idle would hang a lot and that will be annoying to drive around with. unfortunately, blow thru is not a sure fire cure either. I have read on here and other sites where they stall as well. not as bad or often or maybe more curable, but they aren't necessarily some magical fix.

This is where my car is now. The dashpot has been adjusted sooo much that between shifts the RPMs stay put and when you let out the clutch again the car lurches forward. VERY ANNOYING. I just switched to blow thru using a PMAS meter in a 3" tube. I dont think it is the HPX sensor. i bought it off of a member on here with the hellraiser kit. His car made 700+ hp and did not peg.

I simply cut the pipe that sits inside the fender coming out of the innercooler. I did put approx 6-7 inches of straight 3" tubing before the meter. It is not the nicest looking setup but you will never see it. All the nice polished piping hellion sends with the kit is still in place.

I am looking forward to hearing the blowoff valve vent into the atmostphere.

Also has anyone ever thought the stock hellion filter is too small for the kit. Has anyone ever taken it off and redyno'd the car to see if there were any gains. By going blow thru you are able to run a massive filter. I even ran the hellion silicon coupler on the turbo to put the filters top in the fender so it can see some colder air. With the used meter I am into the setup about $280with the bov and silicone reducers.

If you want an inexpensive BOV that looks, feels, smells, tastes, and works like the Tial, check out this website. VERY nice piece for $60. Also on my last turbo mustang I had an actuall Tial BOV on there. A friend bought the $60 one from here and we opened them up. They were the exact same thing. just a thought.
Tial Style BOV Flange

Also they have good prices on reducers and couplers.

Last edited:

danny03cobra

Established Member
:lol: they work just fine as sold. your problem was you needed a hands on tuner. you were relying on mail order with your guy there in Cali and Jon Lund. There is only so much a tuner can do via email if the customer isn't getting them all the data they need. Instead, you go and blame the manufacturer of the kit. when originally you stated it was too much power for a street car and that is why you removed it.

there are hundreds of these kits out there. if it was a design poblem, I am sure hellion would address it.

no bro i tried 3 tuners, including the best cobra tuner in CAli in my opion (Greg at R.E.T).

I also have people here with the same kit and same issues, most people went auto to fix the issue or converted to a blow through set up. But i give a HUGE thanks to you and all your help bro. I called Hellion 10-20 times to help out and they never got back to me, so i have nothing positive to say about them. And there are a couple people here in Cali who feel the same.

TRBO VNM

I remember you talking to Jeff. I wasn't part of those conversations, so I don't know what was discussed and there are 2 sides to every story.

I was very pleased that you were able to do the install yourself after you were pretty scared to tackle it. granted I think I got 10-15 pm's and calls from you every day till it was done. :lol: But I was happy to help and step you through each part of the install. I have seen some of the stalling caused by install issues and leaks. who knows, your problem could have stemmed from more than one source and tuning adjustments may not have solved it. Or you could have had an unforunate extreme case. I don't know.

all I do know is there are hundreds of these kits out there. if there was a major problem with the kit design, hellion would address it. I have had 2 single hellion cars and have installed about 15 others. I think busta is the only one that is having an issue, but the previous owner didn't have an issue or any that he told me about and 2 weeks after busta had the car, the motor went. so there could have been something else causing his stalling.

either way, converting to blow thru isn't a bad thing, but imo isn't something that has to be done.

phillySVT

Bang Bang
Established Member
Man...they should fix the kit becuase it's obvoise a lot of people have the stall...once fixed I can't compalin. Hell....may car put down insane power BEFORE the blow throu....if just stalled at every light and I ended up looking like an ass in a blacked out turbo cobra:lol:

danny03cobra

Established Member
I remember you talking to Jeff. I wasn't part of those conversations, so I don't know what was discussed and there are 2 sides to every story.

I was very pleased that you were able to do the install yourself after you were pretty scared to tackle it. granted I think I got 10-15 pm's and calls from you every day till it was done. :lol: But I was happy to help and step you through each part of the install. I have seen some of the stalling caused by install issues and leaks. who knows, your problem could have stemmed from more than one source and tuning adjustments may not have solved it. Or you could have had an unforunate extreme case. I don't know.

all I do know is there are hundreds of these kits out there. if there was a major problem with the kit design, hellion would address it. I have had 2 single hellion cars and have installed about 15 others. I think busta is the only one that is having an issue, but the previous owner didn't have an issue or any that he told me about and 2 weeks after busta had the car, the motor went. so there could have been something else causing his stalling.

either way, converting to blow thru isn't a bad thing, but imo isn't something that has to be done.

lol i know i bugged the heck out of ya, sorry man. But if it wasnt for you it would have taken me a year to install it. Big thanks to you and your great customer service.:beer:

TRBO VNM

Man...they should fix the kit becuase it's obvoise a lot of people have the stall...once fixed I can't compalin. Hell....may car put down insane power BEFORE the blow throu....if just stalled at every light and I ended up looking like an ass in a blacked out turbo cobra:lol:

:lol: your a trip Mike. that's why I am going to give you hella deals on parts and labor for the Z you pick up. :beer: :D

lol i know i bugged the heck out of ya, sorry man. But if it wasnt for you it would have taken me a year to install it. Big thanks to you and your great customer service.:beer:

yeah, I was about to break out the cc machine and tell you your tech support expired after the first week and start charging 6.95 a minute. lol

Users who are viewing this thread