Anyone Interested in a Hellion BlowThrough setup?

primo

Established Member
Guys, Justin @VMP said he would make the conversion for us if he gets 10 units pre-sold. Depending on price, please post to let me know if you'd be in. It's not set in stone yet, so no worries on a "locked in" commitment. I just want to see how many people would be in if he went to production. If the price is right and 10 people commit, VMP would make them for us. I'll updated the list as people post that they're in.

1) Gene
2) spray175
3) notchstang92
4) blowns281
5)
6)
7)
8)
9)
10)

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike@TCI

Established Member
If people are truely interested in have blow through conversion kits for these Hellion Cobra's, let me know. I would need a car to mock up on, and this first prototype would be at cost. Once the jig is made, duplicates can be produced very effciently. These would be done in 6061 12 gauge Aluminum tubing, setup for 05+ slot style metering.

Last edited:

Mike@TCI

Established Member
Here is how I feel the setup should be done, if one is to be fabricated for these Hellion cars, with maybe the exception of the 90* bend going through a cutout in the fender well ( but rather route through the large factory airbox cutout).

Tube inside diameter is 3.25" (3.5"OD) aluminum tubing, HPX meter used, placed on underside of pipe, with enough straight tubing from first bend to MAF, bead rolled ends, powdercoated matte black, and 4 ply silicone couplers with SS T bolt clamps. That's how it should be done.

TonyH_02.jpg

TonyH-09.jpg

Last edited:

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
Here is how I feel the setup should be done, if one is to be fabricated for these Hellion cars, with maybe the exception of the 90* bend going through a cutout in the fender well ( but rather route through the large factory airbox cutout).

Tube inside diameter is 3.25" (3.5"OD) aluminum tubing, HPX meter used, placed on underside of pipe, with enough straight tubing from first bend to MAF, bead rolled ends, powdercoated matte black, and 4 ply silicone couplers with SS T bolt clamps. That's how it should be done.

TonyH_02.jpg

TonyH-09.jpg

nice setup, but i agree with having the bend where the air boxs hole is. i wouldn't want to cut up my car just to go blow thru. Depending on cost, i might be interested in purchasing a BOLT IN KIT.

Mike@TCI

Established Member
He wanted to have the 4" polished inlet pipe, which is why the upper charge pipe was routed through the cut out hole, rather then factory air box cutaway. It's much more simple to place a filter on the compressor inlet of turbo, and route the upper charge pipe through that factory air box cutaway.

A direct bolt on kit would include upper charge pipe with bead rolled ends, in 6061 aluminum, 05+ slot style flanging for MAF, HPX PMAS MAF WITH wiring pigtail and instructions on wiring, intermediate pipe to cooler with bead rolled ends, silicone 4 ply black couplers, SS t bolt clamps, 4x7" K&N air filter, and the option for powder coating, although at an extra cost. Blow off valve flanging would have to be requested, as there are many different options for this. Flanging for this can be welded on at no additional cost, if flanging from requested blow off valve is supplied. This would replace everything from the cooler outlet to the throttle body, to allow for a direct replacement blow through conversion on the Hellion single kits. I think a competitive price on this would be in the $650-700 range, and would be as complete as it gets.

Last edited:

solidsnak3

NOVA STOCK
Established Member
650 to 700 seems reseaonable to me, seeing as how you replace everything.would this allow for reusing the hellion supplied blow off valve?

primo

Established Member
I'm in. Is tuning a pain in the ass for this conversion? Lund tunes my car

Mike@TCI

Established Member
The supplied bypass valve Hellion uses is a standard Mitsubishi bypass valve, this could be used, but your major limiting factor would be how much pressure this bypass can take before it leaks ( bleeds off pressure). It is intended to be used in draw through, and not designed to hold any decent amount of pressure, which is why it would not be feasable for use on most of these Hellion cars.

That is actually a good point that you brought up, and I feel most people would want to run an aftermarket blow off valve. There are many choice in blow off valves, but personally I have always used my 50mm blow off valve offered in the 2v kits I sell.

Tuning should actually go quicker, when tuning blow through, and I know for a fact even the SCT supplied value file for the meter, will get you close. The HPX meter is supplied with it's own generic MAF transfer function on CD in MS Excel format. My point is, any tuner worth his weight will not have any problem tuning and getting the car to run as good or better then from the factory. I have NEVER done a draw through car, and NEVER will. Blow through just works too well for me to consider any other option, on my own car or customers.

notchstang92

Spoolin'
Established Member
I'm in if you make it. I need to get one by spring so I can get my car tuned when its all put together. I would need the BOV flange welded on the pipe though.

Mike@TCI

Established Member
What I would need to start is either a test car ( located in FL), or someone to send the Hellion piping from cooler to throttle body, for mounting locations.
For use of the test car, the first kit would be at cost. I hope this is incentive enough to get the ball rolling.

I will also check a few of my resources for a local test car.

TRBO VNM

The supplied bypass valve Hellion uses is a standard Mitsubishi bypass valve, this could be used, but your major limiting factor would be how much pressure this bypass can take before it leaks ( bleeds off pressure). It is intended to be used in draw through, and not designed to hold any decent amount of pressure, which is why it would not be feasable for use on most of these Hellion cars.

That is actually a good point that you brought up, and I feel most people would want to run an aftermarket blow off valve. There are many choice in blow off valves, but personally I have always used my 50mm blow off valve offered in the 2v kits I sell.

Tuning should actually go quicker, when tuning blow through, and I know for a fact even the SCT supplied value file for the meter, will get you close. The HPX meter is supplied with it's own generic MAF transfer function on CD in MS Excel format. My point is, any tuner worth his weight will not have any problem tuning and getting the car to run as good or better then from the factory. I have NEVER done a draw through car, and NEVER will. Blow through just works too well for me to consider any other option, on my own car or customers.

actually, the terminator kit comes standard with a turboXS BOV. all the kits with the 62mm standard turbo are the kits that come with the mitsubishi BOV. anything with a 66 or 76 is a turboXS unless someone decided to upgrade even with the 62mm, which I have only had one person that wanted to do that.

most of these guys posting are terminator guys and already have the turboXS BOV. they could either change the BOV or get a new flange for theirs and just have that welded.

Mike@TCI

Established Member
Ok, I was not aware of that. apreciate the heads up.
Do you have an idea of which model this is, would it be the H34, 25 or type HR?

Which ever unit they may have, the Mitsubishi piece and TurboXS piece use the same size mounting tube flange or nipple. What I can do is make this tube flange standard, with the option for a different BOV.

busta

REDRCKT
Established Member
This sounds like a great plan. I can't imagine why hellion went with the draw-thru design to begin with. Unlike some of the terminators running draw-thru, my tuner could not correct the stalling issue no matter how many relevant parameters he tweaked.

TRBO VNM

This sounds like a great plan. I can't imagine why hellion went with the draw-thru design to begin with. Unlike some of the terminators running draw-thru, my tuner could not correct the stalling issue no matter how many relevant parameters he tweaked.

maybe not in your car, but every car is different. he corrected it in a lot of others with the standard design. some cars just can't be 100% curable.

Mike, it is either the RBV-H34 or the RBV-H.

When I get my car together or if badsube or someone else brings their car I plan to make a blow thru setup as well that should be easy to reproduce for my fabricator. I have a couple other ideas to change it from the one I did for 03 whippled cobra.

Mike@TCI

Established Member
I think some people here are missing the whole point in going blow through. It's not only a fix for some of the guys with stalling issues.

-Less inlet restriction on compressor
-Less heat soak to intercooler by eliminating bypass
-Ease of tuning and signal qaulity
-True air intake temp readings
-If you happen to have a boost leak ( vacumm hose pop off) post MAF, the car will still run and drive with a blow through system, vs if you run draw through and have a boost leak post MAF, it will not run or will barely run.
-You get to run a blow off valve, with many different options
-Larger charge piping out of cooler ( rather then the dinky 2.5 or 2.75" tubing w/ Hellion)
-Much nicer look, cleans up engine bay
-High hp range without use of piggyback (MAFIA)
-OEM quality type sensor (HPX)
-Gain effciency in the system as a whole, which means more usa able power all around.

There are more, those are the few that come to mind at the moment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread