Anyone done a ls swap in a new edge?

Nasty_00_Fobra

Established Member
Im the one setting it up for turns at this moment im running a QA1 full k member bit and upr coil overs..cant remember the spring rate, J&M caster camber plates, H&R rear foxbody springs, and a steeda adjsutable rear sway bar along with my stock rear sway bar..im trying to find a QA1 front sway bar for cheap because i cant run any other brands since QA1 pushed everything forward...and im running 19's as well haha after i get out of boot camp im getting a pan hard bar, lower control arms, rear coil overs, and front sway bar and a tq arm

96GT/SC

Ford Fan
Established Member
Im not going with a 5.3 JY motor haha im going to do the 6.0 and start from stratch..and while im in there its getting internals..as far as pistons go idk if im going dished for boost or flat top for high compression and some spray..not sure yet..i just wanna be sitting at 500 rwhp N/A prolly throw some ported LS3 head on there as well as my carb intake...show me a stock bore N/A cobra that you can build for the same price as a LS haha

How much is buying, swapping, and building this engine to achieve 500whp gonna cost?

Nasty_00_Fobra

Established Member
How much is buying, swapping, and building this engine to achieve 500whp gonna cost?

Well selling my current setup will help buy a good bit of it..i found a whole LS1 for $250 just has to be put back together, then get my heads i need, my cam, my intake, and all the little stuff along with the trans..when its all said and done ill prolly get out for $2000 after selling my current setup...and that 500 rwhp is for an all motor car...if I added boost or spray to it no cobra engine would be able to be build for the price of a turbo LS motor

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
Well selling my current setup will help buy a good bit of it..i found a whole LS1 for $250 just has to be put back together, then get my heads i need, my cam, my intake, and all the little stuff along with the trans..when its all said and done ill prolly get out for $2000 after selling my current setup...and that 500 rwhp is for an all motor car...if I added boost or spray to it no cobra engine would be able to be build for the price of a turbo LS motor

yea but that 500rwhp wont drive like stock and will get its ass handled to it by my stock heads/cams/displacment 4.6 even on low boost

Nasty_00_Fobra

Established Member
yea but that 500rwhp wont drive like stock and will get its ass handled to it by my stock heads/cams/displacment 4.6 even on low boost

Dude take your blower off you would get your ass handed to you..or let me add "low boost" to a car that already makes 500 hp on motor! its common sense..some people are jsut too ahrdheaded to see it i suppose:nonono:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Dude take your blower off you would get your ass handed to you..or let me add "low boost" to a car that already makes 500 hp on motor! its common sense..some people are jsut too ahrdheaded to see it i suppose:nonono:

The street is the street man, can't cry foul just because someone has a faster car. Apples to apples racing is as dead as taxes going for a good cause. I don't think either has ever been really a reality.

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Also a qa1 is a terrible choice for handling. Get an mm or go Griggs, the qa1 will let you down right at the point where oh shit isn't fixable and the wall/traffic/other racer on the track is your new braking system/safety net.

The geometry on the qa1 is for straight line drag racing, it's much lighter than stock but it corners poorly compared to MM's kit, let alone Griggs stuff.

Best bet is to run agent 47's sla, that kit is insane, double a arms, just epic.

I'm not hating on your stuff but its like running a completely wrong part for the task at hand. It's a much better straight line part than handling part.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member

thats ass gay as me saying if i put my blower on a 6 liter

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life

If you build it for boost though, you'll need to pick a head and cam that's boost friendly in the 1st place plus a blow threw carb, and mild compression like 9.2 maybe 9.5/1. That might make 450whp if you go huge on cubes but I mean don't expect a miracle on that compression.

If you build a 10.5/1 motor, it'll make 500whp with an aggressive cam but you won't be able to boost that mill near as easy unless you figure out a way to run corn threw the carb or just run race gas all the time. Also you'll need to redo your cam and head to match the boost graph so I mean don't go full tilt boogy on a 500whp na mill because if you plan to boost it so you can run with faster cars, you'll have to redo everything.

Good luck though, if you plan it right, you can make a mean 400-450whp na mill that's ready and eager for boost, then go single 80 in a year or so and get some real power in the car.

Cheers and happy new year, I'm out for the night.

Nasty_00_Fobra

Established Member
Also a qa1 is a terrible choice for handling. Get an mm or go Griggs, the qa1 will let you down right at the point where oh shit isn't fixable and the wall/traffic/other racer on the track is your new braking system/safety net.

The geometry on the qa1 is for straight line drag racing, it's much lighter than stock but it corners poorly compared to MM's kit, let alone Griggs stuff.

Best bet is to run agent 47's sla, that kit is insane, double a arms, just epic.

I'm not hating on your stuff but its like running a completely wrong part for the task at hand. It's a much better straight line part than handling part.

Have you personally ran a QA1 or have you read the articles where everyone says that...i personally have taken turns faster than my cousin when he has a full maximum motorsports suspenion minus a k member..his is a stock k member...

96GT/SC

Ford Fan
Established Member

500whp N/A is quite a feat. You will have to build it with N/A only planned to achieve this. Also I doubt it will be as cheap as you expect. Heads should cost 2k alone. I can see 400-450whp for the price you mentioned but not 500whp. My friends 408 cost alot more and is just a tad over 500 with some high ass compression/ monster cam.

Remove some Cubic Inches and see how you do then. Or add "low boost" for another 6 grand. Money solves all power problems.

Last edited:

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Have you personally ran a QA1 or have you read the articles where everyone says that...i personally have taken turns faster than my cousin when he has a full maximum motorsports suspenion minus a k member..his is a stock k member...

Ya I have run stock, qa1, d&d, and maximum motorsports.

Also driver makes the difference not the car. I can drive a stock car faster than most but definitely not all, you might be a better or more aggressive driver than your cousin but there's no science behind your assessment. I've taken some corners in my stock regal gs (2012 dd) at speeds faster than one of my buddy's with a gtr r35. There's no conducive evidence there though that my regal is a better car or handles better et al. It's a logical fallacy.

When I had qa1 and d&d k members, my car launched better because of weight distribution and motor placement but it felt reluctant to turn in and over worked the inside tire when it did, it didn't maximize the contact patch.

Maximum motorsports coil overs do a lot for a mustang but a true front suspension with a new tubular subframe is always going to feel more confidence inspiring. The lack of rubbery stock and cast components makes a huge improvement in feel.

I could push the car had and it would handle good with those other front k members but since I put the maximum front subframe on, turn in is luxuriously telepathic, low effort is now needed to toss the car around through switchbacks, and now when I take my buddy's for canyon runs, they are super impressed beyond the common "great for a mustang" I now get "what the hell did you do, this things a fckn race car" kinda comments.

Just hugely better, for $900 it's a no brainer if you wanna cut corners, trust me you'll love your car in corners 100% more once you get the mm kmember.

Last edited:

Nasty_00_Fobra

Established Member
You guys that are hating on the idea are the typical ford guys..think that ford is god...and heads that cost 2 grand? you take stock 899 heads and port and polish them..a company called tic performance made 425 rwhp on a true "cam only" ls1 ...with the typical build with a cam, headers, and intake, and all the little small things like push rods and lifters they make 450-475 rwhp all day

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
You guys that are hating on the idea are the typical ford guys..think that ford is god...and heads that cost 2 grand? you take stock 899 heads and port and polish them..a company called tic performance made 425 rwhp on a true "cam only" ls1 ...with the typical build with a cam, headers, and intake, and all the little small things like push rods and lifters they make 450-475 rwhp all day

Haha, almost no one is hating on you dude, you're paranoid.

You've just said a build on a site with a lot of guys in the know and we're giving you advice like don't build an all out na mill for 500whp if you wanna go turbo in the future because you'll redo the build twice and waste all your money from the first build. Also suspension wise, I'm telling you to grab a handling k member if you wanna make a handler.

I also said if you wanna go turbo, just run a modular if you want reliability. It's a fact that turbo ls mills are much more problematic than turbo modulars.

Nasty_00_Fobra

Established Member
Haha, almost no one is hating on you dude, you're paranoid.

You've just said a build on a site with a lot of guys in the know and we're giving you advice like don't build an all out na mill for 500whp if you wanna go turbo in the future because you'll redo the build twice and waste all your money from the first build. Also suspension wise, I'm telling you to grab a handling k member if you wanna make a handler.

I also said if you wanna go turbo, just run a modular if you want reliability. It's a fact that turbo ls mills are much more problematic than turbo modulars.

I wasnt referring to you man haha

tt335ci03cobra

Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I wasnt referring to you man haha

Haha ok cool I was like what the hell? I'm just trying to help this dude.

Ya I'd seriously consider getting the mm kmember, then do a boost build ls if your sold on doing an ls or I'd go modular 5.4 4v if you wanna run boost but that's just from what I've seen durability/reliability wise. Good luck either way though

Nasty_00_Fobra

Established Member
Haha ok cool I was like what the hell? I'm just trying to help this dude.

Ya I'd seriously consider getting the mm kmember, then do a boost build ls if your sold on doing an ls or I'd go modular 5.4 4v if you wanna run boost but that's just from what I've seen durability/reliability wise. Good luck either way though

Ima stick with my k member i have now haha maybe later down the road but for now this one is staying..i thought about doing a 5.4 lightning swap at one time but backed out of it...im just tired of the high prices of a mod motor..pushrods are so much cheaper in the long run plus going carbed i can tune it myself with the carb..and eventually ima build it up for boost but i wanna wax ass on all motor

Users who are viewing this thread