Anyone done a ls swap in a new edge?

Nasty_00_Fobra

Established Member
I love the people coming on here hating on me haha..I mean one guys has some gay ass center exhaust and telling me not to do an ls swap haha oh well

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Lol, nobody is telling you not to do it we're just saying that unless you are staying NA (which you said you are IIRC so go for it) it is completely pointless to put a LSX motor in a Mustang especially a modular. The hilarious thing about alot of LSX ppl, and I'm not pointing fingers I'm just generalizing, is that they get angry to the point of wanting to fight if someone mentions that the LSX isn't "God's motor" or the "greatest motor ever". It's light, powerful, easy to mod with a great aftermarket so swap away to your heart's content. Yes it is a great motor that will support a lot of power, but it isn't the only one. Just don't think that because you have a built LSX in a Mustang you'll beat any other Mustang you come across.

Someone is always faster be it an unswapped Mustang/Cobra, a Vette, a F-Body or even some crazy ass AWD pushing 30+psi through a little 4 banger on race gas. Whoever has the most money will generally win unless its one of those ppl who pays some shop for all their work and can't even change their own oil. Then you'll probably spend half of what those guys spend and still be faster...

Last edited:

Nasty_00_Fobra

Established Member
a turbo 2v unless you throw internals will only safely push 450 rwhp...ive seen a bone stock i mean bone stock 5.3 truck junk yard motor with a twin turbo kit on it make over 1000rwhp...only thing they did was update the rings to prevent blowby...show me any 2v that will do that..and ps this one lasted a good bit

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
a turbo 2v unless you throw internals will only safely push 450 rwhp...ive seen a bone stock i mean bone stock 5.3 truck junk yard motor with a twin turbo kit on it make over 1000rwhp...only thing they did was update the rings to prevent blowby...show me any 2v that will do that..and ps this one lasted a good bit

IMO it would be easier to put in a forged shortblock in the 2v and twinturbo it. Still would make great power and be really reliable. Easier then putting in a motor that doesnt belong there in the first place.

ponyboyisaac

Now Kaioken...times 10!!
Established Member
ponyboyisaac please stop

I'm not trying to be an dick to the op in all honesty. And I love GMs LS engines, I think they make great power, theyre compact in physical size and theyre cheap to mod. That being said, I just dont think a ford 2v should be treated like a boat anchor. I think its potential has been proven plenty, thats why it boggles my mind when someone swaps the entire motor out for something completely different.:bored:

Oh well, whatever floats your boat. Good luck op.

slow2v

GONE
Established Member
the build im doing right now previously had a STOCK 03/04 longblock in it and was daily driven for 5 years with a 9.7@142 6 speed setup

the need for an ls swap?
there isnt one

scottydsntknow

Established Member
The 03/04 Terminator block is not even in the same universe as the other modulars. With that said, it is cheap to put forged rods/pistons into a modular, stock cranks are fine for big power, teksids/forged OEM cranks are cheap to come by if one is inclined and heads are cheap to get ported or just buy a new ported set.

On the other hand, its just as cheap to do a LSX and all the swap parts are easy. The hardest part is the computer but I'm sure there are multiple harness mods and there is always the standalone route too.

To each their own, I see nothing wrong with putting the LSX into a platform that isn't fuggo, weigh a ton and is impossible to make handle well. To that end I wouldn't even choose the Mustang for that sort of thing, I'd put it in a RX-7 like everyone else. One can get a FC for what like under $1k? Those kick ass in the autox scene. For drag racing just leave it in the F-body and deal with the Fisher Price interior. Or just put it in the stang if you like stangs, that is the beauty of modding these days. Its getting cheaper and cheaper, parts exist to do a ton of stuff with swaps and the internets has more information in the form of forums/tech pages than anyone could have DREAMED of 10-15 years ago.

BBAMOTORS

Established Member

The motor they tested was actually a 4.8 not a 5.3.It wasn't subjected to real life conditions like Under hood head and a load.I had a stock bottom end 5.3(turbo) in my grand national.It didn't even live past 900 miles and became a oil burning machine.Really depends on the condition the motor was in prior to being ran.Mine was low milage,33.000 was real clean too.I Guess it didn't like the 1.32 a/r 96 mm turbo lol

Last edited:

scottydsntknow

Established Member
Lol yeah the idea of taking a JY motor to 1000whp is kind of funny. If you want to get killed or waste a ton of money yeah pull a truck motor out of the JY and turbo it to 1000whp with all the other goodies the car needs to support it like a built auto, tons of frame work, suspension, cage, fuel system etc... etc... I would think after $15k+ one would not skimp with the motor.

Then again, I doubt someone claiming that 1000whp is legit in a car that will last beyond like... 1 or 2 pulls has ever done something like that IRL...

scottydsntknow

Established Member
There are factory freaks out there, maybe that JY truck motor was rebuilt at one point with components better than factory stuff? Who knows. Fact remains that anyone building a 1000hp vehicle around an untouched JY motor is not the smartest tool in the shed...

Nasty_00_Fobra

Established Member
Im not going with a 5.3 JY motor haha im going to do the 6.0 and start from stratch..and while im in there its getting internals..as far as pistons go idk if im going dished for boost or flat top for high compression and some spray..not sure yet..i just wanna be sitting at 500 rwhp N/A prolly throw some ported LS3 head on there as well as my carb intake...show me a stock bore N/A cobra that you can build for the same price as a LS haha

BBAMOTORS

Established Member

Im not going with a 5.3 JY motor haha im going to do the 6.0 and start from stratch..and while im in there its getting internals..as far as pistons go idk if im going dished for boost or flat top for high compression and some spray..not sure yet..i just wanna be sitting at 500 rwhp N/A prolly throw some ported LS3 head on there as well as my carb intake...show me a stock bore N/A cobra that you can build for the same price as a LS haha

LQ9/LS2 stock bore with ls3 Heads its going to need a small cam like a 220/230 duration 114 lsa,The 4'' bore doesn't give enough compression for a larger cam,unless you mill the heads and bring it to .65 over(LS3 bore) LS2's with ls3 tops ends make high peak HP numbers but they are such dogs.

scottydsntknow

Established Member

I could point to some budget c head builds that are up in the high 300whp range but we are talking about a totally different animal. You can get over 1000hp/tq in a built modular too. He who has the most money wins. When talking about a 1000hp build first it isn't going to be streetable, cheap should never be mentioned and either motor will get you there.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using Tapatalk 2

Users who are viewing this thread