ShelbyGuy

Steers With the Throttle
Established Member
Eating a steady diet of government cheese, and liv
in
before
the
lock

if its a linear rate spring, cutting it wont bother it. use a fast enough saw and you wont build enough heat into it to anneal it. i mean cmon it was cut to length in the first place. If you think this is some sort of hoodoo voodoo then you need to read a book on metallurgy. "engineer to win" by carroll smith is a good start.

RGrossman

Established Member
So is it ok to cut the stock springs? I bought a set of H&R springs but will return them if the stockers can be cut some...

jmimac351

Right Wing Conservative
Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
If you read my post above I cut the springs on my 03. The 03 is about right on the front stock. I didn't want to buy four springs to only use the rear so I cut the rears. I cut a little too much so I dropped the front. The car handled 10 times better than a stock 03 and the ride was not bouncy or harsh. I drove a new 03 awhile back and I forgot just how bad a stock 03 handled after becoming accustomed to mine. I also was pleased that the ride was not much better than mine.

I apologise to you for my remarks. It's just too easy to call people names and offend people on the net. Slowly this board is turning into the Cobra forum on Blue Oval News. When someone asks for help or offers help someone comes in and flames somebody or starts calling someone names. There are too many people on here that bought an 03 because it's fast. Not because they like Fords or SVT or Cobras. With that, they bring their attitudes. Anyone knows that I freely offer help and only when I know what I'm talking about. I've been on this board for over three years and changed my username Feb. of last year when I put a deposit on my 03. I know that a lot of the original guys that bought 03's way back last year don't visit this board anymore because of the attitude of some members. Most can be found on Modualr Fords. I have sold some of my stuff to members on this board and I am in the process of building a chiller for a member right now. He saw my pics and commented on the quality of my work. That is how I do my job and am known to design and build high quality parts/machines that last with no break downs.

Silver03Snake,

I'm the sort that tries to help as well. Don't waste the aggravation trying to help these guys. They obviously are all speaking from experience and/or are really good at repeating things they read on the net. You and I know different. That's all that matters. Let them be happy thinking they're right.

I for one appreciate your feedback on how this works on this car.

Jim

WS6JJP

Corn juice powered
Established Member
here are some pics of mine (cut factory springs)....cant tell the difference in ride quality either so why spend the extra money when you can lower it for free

DCP_2164.JPG

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
I always thought the resistance was different from coil to coil in a suspension spring,causing that bouncing effect,thus ppl not wanting to cut them..I've ridden on at least 2 Mustangs already with 2 coils cut on each spring,and the ride was herendous...I for one would rather pay the 220 for a good set and call it good....Maybe the 03 springs are designed diff. now...

i8u

Established Member
Originally posted by 28 fangs
I always thought the resistance was different from coil to coil in a suspension spring

only in a progressive rate spring....

I would still never cut a spring personally. I was tought it is a big nono.

jmimac351

Right Wing Conservative
Established Member
Originally posted by 28 fangs
I always thought the resistance was different from coil to coil in a suspension spring,causing that bouncing effect,thus ppl not wanting to cut them..I've ridden on at least 2 Mustangs already with 2 coils cut on each spring,and the ride was herendous...I for one would rather pay the 220 for a good set and call it good....Maybe the 03 springs are designed diff. now...

Are you sure?

jmimac351

Right Wing Conservative
Established Member
Originally posted by WS6JJP
here are some pics of mine (cut factory springs)....cant tell the difference in ride quality either so why spend the extra money when you can lower it for free

How much did you cut from each spring to get that look? FYI... regardless of what you know to be true from personal experience, your car does not ride well. :p

Jim

03CobraRed

Established Member
Hey Eric get the H&R springs I just put the rears in my car and it even hooks better than the steeda springs did. Its not that bad of an install either I did it in my garage. I kept the steeda fronts though so I dont know how the front would sit with H&Rs? I will try to get a picture up tonight.

Silver10thAConv

Established Member
I second JMIMAC351's question...how much did you cut from your springs? It looks great! Of course, I'm biased(see sig.)

BTW, I have a book on suspension design by Herb Adams that says cutting springs is his preferred way to lower a car for handling if they are linear rate springs. He even gives the proper method to do it. The progressive rate springs are great for street cars for a good ride. I had Eibachs on my old 2001 Cobra and it looked great, the ride was better than stock, but I don't think the handling was any better.

03InThe11s

i meant 10s :)
Established Member
had eibachs on my old '96 cobra. didnt like em. so i cut the factory springs and put them in, and this is what i got:

03InThe11s

Established Member
and of course spring manufacturers dont want you to cut your springs. they want you to buy theirs. i see nothing wrong with it, as long as a cutting wheel is used, not a torch. show me evidence it is dangerous

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by 03InThe11s
and of course spring manufacturers dont want you to cut your springs. they want you to buy theirs. i see nothing wrong with it, as long as a cutting wheel is used, not a torch. show me evidence it is dangerous
Do you really believe that a stock cut spring has the same characteristics as a lowered aftermarket spring? If so, more power to you! :rollseyes

03InThe11s

Established Member
i don't believe there is enough difference to make them dangerous. i basicaly do not want to waste $250 on springs that will only be used short term, seeing as i will be installing coil over's as soon as finances allow. but i want my car off its "tippy toes" ASAP. i agree that cutting springs is not the absolute best way to lower a car. but if your not doing any open track events, i dont see a problem with it. but to each his own

jdpepper

Established Member
How many coils can you cut before the spring gets to short? I mean if the spring is to short and the suspension unloads do you risk the chance of the spring falling out?

Users who are viewing this thread