anyone cut their stock springs?

stevieb

Established Member
Anybody that cuts their springs is a hack. Period! Any credible mechanic would never consider this type of repair.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Originally posted by stevieb
Anybody that cuts their springs is a hack. Period! Any credible mechanic would never consider this type of repair.
You reminded me of an Internet search I did a few months ago around the subject of coil overs vs. lowering springs. Many websites stated very clearly that it is NOT recommended that you cut your stock springs. Many said you would be foolish to do it. For one thing (despite what others say) cutting the springs will make the springs stiffer as it takes out some of the compressability of the spring. That's common sense.

Heck, here's some info directly from the Eibach website FAQ page.
What is wrong with heating or cutting a coil spring to lower a vehicle?

Heating or cutting a coil spring in order to lower a vehicle is just plain foolish. These procedures are very dangerous and at the very least results in poor handling due to the changing of the original springs characteristic and pre-load.

Strong advice - DO NOT CUT YOUR STOCK SPRINGS. Do it right (and safely) by buying the correct lowering springs. The cost difference is really negligible and your car will handle better.

94SVTCobra

Established Member
I bought my '94 with cut 99 gt springs on it. Its dropped 2 inches and I feel it sits perfect. Dont get me wrong I am not a fan of cutting springs but I probably wont change it. I like it where it sits to much, plus its not that bumpie like people think and the handling doesnt go to crap. Heres a pic..

Cobra03FLA

Titties & Beer!
Established Member
The 03 is kind of low already? I would never cut springs on any car. If you want it lower buy some quality springs and do it right....

rbeverid

Established Member
Originally posted by ShelbyGuy
dont forget that lowering these cars is detrimental to the handling. see also 'ball joint pip' and 'roll center height'.

Lowering the car too much may be detrimental to the car, but a 1-2 inch drop will not be detrimental. At the very worst, it will handle the same.

Silver 03 Cobra

Watch who you are calling a hack ace. I'll match my mechanical and engineering skill against anyone plus I have the education and experience to back it up. I design automated machinery and I am in the process of buildng a $400,000 machine so stick it. And, I have 5-6 parts I designed and built myself on my 03 and they helped it to 503 rwhp SAE and 550 rwt. How many 03's do you know of that top 500 rwhp on the Eaton w/o spray? How many 03's do you know of that have 550 rwt with shorty headers. I also have a new pulley system designed that will get more efficiency out of the Eaton without letting out too much info. It should easily be able to pull 550 rwhp. Yeah, I guess a hack would put something like that on his car also. What I really think it is, is that some people have the nuts and the motivation to do things. I've spent hundreds of hours working on IRS Cobras including gear changes and any and every bolt-on you can put on a 4v. How many hours you got ace? Ever ride in one with cut springs? Do you you think I did it to save money with my salary. GO on down and get you a set of 99/01 springs and see what happens. Other than H&R that slam the car, the others will be just like the Eibachs, the nose will be slammed and the rear will have the 4x4 look. In fact, I contemplating pulling the rear of my Eibachs and cutting 1/3 - 1/2 coil. Care to come down and watch?

I wouldn't have replaced my cut springs with Eibachs. I wanted to raise the back end up about .75-1 inch. I called around and there was a national back order on Ford OEM springs for the 03. Unless you didn't know it hackmeister, finger pointing, genious, there are three different spring codes on the back of the 03 coupe. I was going to get a set of Ford 03 springs and take off a bout 1/2 of what I originally took off to raise the rear slightly. Now with the Eibachs, my front dropped a lot more than my cut springs I had to get a set of CC plates. I also do my own wheel alignment since I'm so good at hacking stuff.

And to the following post, do you believe everything you read on the net? Neither of you have any engineerig to back up what you are saying. Cutting springs is definately not dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bingo13

Established Member
Originally posted by rbeverid
Lowering the car too much may be detrimental to the car, but a 1-2 inch drop will not be detrimental. At the very worst, it will handle the same.

Lowering this car more than 14mm in the front is detrimental to the handling on this car. The rear of this car should stay about 10~12mm higher than the front also. I am talking about open track events but on the street, whatever keeps you out of the potholes. ;-)

stevieb

Established Member
Say what you want, I dont know you nor give a rats ass! If you were working in my shop and I saw you cutting someones springs I would fire you. You may be qualified or not, like I said I dont care. So you make parts for an automated machine, theres a big difference between a stationary machine and a 3500 lb projectile doing over 100 mph and out of control. So take a break, I wont change my mind on the hack part and dont get your feathers ruffled, you will see there are some people here that agree with what I said.

Silver 03 Cobra

I doubt you own a shop let alone worked on a car other than simple bolt-ons. If you seen one of my machines run you'd know it wasn't stationary. When you have to account for inertia to move loads running servo drives up to 800 lb.-ft of torque accelerating loads up to 12 inches per second that weigh hundreds of pounds then you'd know a little about engineering. I build machines with enough torque to twist an 03 clean off the ground. Go tell it to somebody else that cares. I'll do what I want to my car and if someone tells me Im a hack to my face then he'll see what else I'm good at. Aint nothing worse than someone that comes in here name calling. After I got older I realized I had it pretty rough coming up. I was taught if you didn't have something nice don't say it all else you were walking around with a fat lip or a few teeth jarred loose.

stevieb

Established Member
Youre right I dont own a shop, I run one. I have to comply with state and federal regulations on top of bi-annual inspections from DOT. So if you can see from my point of view, if I went to one of the govorning agencies and said "Lets cut the springs" or something to that affect, they would be laughing at my ass for a long time...Then Id probably be picking weeds in the back 40 for the rest of my career.
Maybe down in the south you do things differently than Calif, but we have a thing here called "disclosure" and "deep pockets". So people are more cautious of there actions.

postin the midnight oil..
Established Member
Originally posted by Silver03Snake
Yeah, here's another internet mouthy badass. Takes a schmuck to know a schmuck.

Have you ever ridden in a car with cut springs?...Oh,and before you post a respond,I'll just say this,I was just replying to the question in a sarcastic manner and didn't mean to offend.I just thought it was originally funny.But hey,I apologize...But on a serious note.It really is a stupid idea to cut your stock springs.:nonono:I now will bow out of this discussion..:rollseyes

Edit.:bored:

Last edited:

Silver 03 Cobra

If you read my post above I cut the springs on my 03. The 03 is about right on the front stock. I didn't want to buy four springs to only use the rear so I cut the rears. I cut a little too much so I dropped the front. The car handled 10 times better than a stock 03 and the ride was not bouncy or harsh. I drove a new 03 awhile back and I forgot just how bad a stock 03 handled after becoming accustomed to mine. I also was pleased that the ride was not much better than mine.

I apologise to you for my remarks. It's just too easy to call people names and offend people on the net. Slowly this board is turning into the Cobra forum on Blue Oval News. When someone asks for help or offers help someone comes in and flames somebody or starts calling someone names. There are too many people on here that bought an 03 because it's fast. Not because they like Fords or SVT or Cobras. With that, they bring their attitudes. Anyone knows that I freely offer help and only when I know what I'm talking about. I've been on this board for over three years and changed my username Feb. of last year when I put a deposit on my 03. I know that a lot of the original guys that bought 03's way back last year don't visit this board anymore because of the attitude of some members. Most can be found on Modualr Fords. I have sold some of my stuff to members on this board and I am in the process of building a chiller for a member right now. He saw my pics and commented on the quality of my work. That is how I do my job and am known to design and build high quality parts/machines that last with no break downs.

stevieb

Established Member
I accept your apology, I too must apologize for youre right it is hard to put things in the right context in an email. My remark was at no time to ever flame anybody personally and after looking back my reply happen to come after you had made a statement on the issue, but it all could have been just the timing of the postings. What I thought I was replying to was a question of cutting springs in general. Once this thing got going I guess I was just accumulating all the thoughts of parts failure analysis I have seen over the years and putting this down the basis for my opinion.
I too like to give helpful information when I can and thats what I like about this sight.
So why dont we bury the hatchet here and lets enjoy the sight for what its intended to be. Will this work for you?

Users who are viewing this thread