Anybody Own or Work On Porsches?

Recon

Established Member
I can't even find a slant nose valuation in Hagerty but an 89 930 turbo that's in excellent condition should bring over $250k.

Edit: I just noticed it said at 30% for a factory slant nose

Correct the air cooled 911’s have skyrocketed in value over the last few years. It seems that the ones that are doing extremely well are the TT AWD 993’s. I’ve seen some go for in the 300+.

Pick your poison.

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
My dads had 11 in his lifetime.

He says the maintenance is extremely high. He drives a Raptor now. He says he’s done with them but he has nothing but praise for the cars.

I can't imagine anything on those cars being cheap or remotely reasonable.

my-two-dads-show-featured-800x450.jpg

Recon

Established Member
I'm sure your dad has a story to match being pulled over.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

My Godfather always told me, referring to the photo of being pulled over, that they let the cop pull them over. That was a pretty much stock mustang against three modded 911’s. Naturally he was joking of course being no one can outrun the radio.

Pick your poison.

Recon

Established Member
Cool story, our local P dealer has a slant nose in the showroom, got funny looks when I walked right passed the Gulf 918 to look at it.

I would’ve done the same thing. But I might be biased. I think the 930 is the sexiest 911 made, and the Slantnose model being the best looking of the 930’s.

Pick your poison.

blk02edge

Established Member
I would’ve done the same thing. But I might be biased. I think the 930 is the sexiest 911 made, and the Slantnose model being the best looking of the 930’s.

Pick your poison.
I agree, they have always been a favorite of mine, buddy has a 918 and a 930 turbo, hes scared of the 930... Lol

Recon

Established Member
I agree, they have always been a favorite of mine, buddy has a 918 and a 930 turbo, hes scared of the 930... Lol

They’re known to be very unforgiving. If you drive the car right it will reward you; if you make a mistake, it’ll bite your head off. I quite enjoy them.

Pick your poison.

My94GT

Established Member
Out of the cars and bikes I’ve had or had the pleasure of being around the one I miss most is my 87 911 Targa. I’d give a lot to have a 930

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
@Recon, dont let your dad test drive a Lexus GS-F... otherwise its probably coming home with him lol

Really nice cars.. Better in my opinion than an RC-F, and thats a nice car too.

Recon

Established Member
@Recon, dont let your dad test drive a Lexus GS-F... otherwise its probably coming home with him lol

He isn’t a fan of the large grille on the newer cars. But I’m sure the performance is vastly superior to his F Sport.
But the RC-F is still much better looking. Especially in orange. ;)

That’s one of the best colors for them. They look fantastic in orange.

Pick your poison.

Laffs

Drop-da-top
Established Member
Something else to factor in with Porsche ownership especially RS is the depreciation curve. "Generally" the GT and RS cars fair very well on the secondary market, most holding high residual value. Now the caveat to that is they announced the 991.2 GT3 RS yesterday so I'd hold off buying until more details on that arises (if it has a manual option 991.1 RS values will fall pretty quickly then stabilize again.

Just throwing that in the mix, I'd rather own an RS for 3 years, pay 15k in maintenance and lose 20k in value then buy a new ZR1 and lose 50k in the same period just on depreciation.

Serpent

Bike or Cobra?
Established Member

RCF is just too tight, It was super nice though when I drove it during a lexus event in sonoma. But I would take the GSF 10/10 over an RCF. Hell for the price of the GSF I would take it over any of the cheaper american sedans. Don't need too much power, just want luxury and reliability and lexus has it.

Recon

Established Member
RCF is just too tight, It was super nice though when I drove it during a lexus event in sonoma. But I would take the GSF 10/10 over an RCF. Hell for the price of the GSF I would take it over any of the cheaper american sedans. Don't need too much power, just want luxury and reliability and lexus has it.

I think the same of the LC500. Car was really aggressive looking and exhaust had a nearly perfect rowdy note. But the interior looked a little cramped, materials were high quality but cramped looking. I’m 6’2-3 and I think it’d be a little tight for me. This one was at the Lexus dealer where we picked up the F Sport:
e490653c9719b30bc23654c81fbbec9d.jpg

I just don’t think I could dish out 105k for 471hp. But a hybrid model is coming out soon and the F model (rumor TT V8) is being tested. Or so I’ve read.

Pick your poison.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
They are beautiful cars, but agreed on being under powered. Hybrid versions in sport mode should be pretty aggressive on felt torque though. Those electric motors are no joke!

Keep in mind, these LC's are being nearly hand built by the same master Lexus Takumi that built the LFAs. If they do eventually come out with a TT V8 LC-F, Id be very interested to hear how it does.

Lexus headquarters and Toyota Motor Sales don't really share with dealer level associates. We typically find out they same way everyone else does. Sales managers and GMs are probably different, but they don't tell us anything lol.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
Traded my 2013 GT500 Vert for a 997S. Loved the car and it performed really well, but was not a Mustang like I had owned all my life. Tracked it at VIR and the experience was completley different. Rotated beautifully but floated the front end more than I like. Traded the 911 for a 2014 GT500 and am glad to be back in the Stang.

Other toy is a 98 Boxster that I have owned for more than 5 years. Bought is with a foot and a half thick maintenance receipts and it has been a dream. A few little problems but nothing major. I have an independant shop locally that loves these cars and cares for them meticulously and I pay him well to do so. I dont want him to cringe when I pull up. I truly love the little car as it is pure driving joy at 217 hp. The wife and I took it on the Blue Ridge Parkway last fall and that was a great time. She drives it almost everyday from April though October.

I realize my Porsche (previous and current) does not compare to what you are looking at, but I love them and have greatly enjoyed my ownership experience.

Attachments

• IMG_20170820_100619015 (3) (640x480).jpg
    IMG_20170820_100619015 (3) (640x480).jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 65

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Warning: long post.
This is not meant for bragging I don’t mean it that way. It is strictly meant to educate, and make others aware of what it actually costs to build a turbo Porsche race car, and maintain a very rare vehicle. It will sound hard to believe but God as my witness it’s true. I have not saturated these numbers.
My Godfather is the original owner of our Slantnose. The car’s window sticker is 104k in 89, 1 of 60 hand built street cars from the Porsche racing factory. Aka “Porsche works car.” My father and several local people would attend race events at Road Atlanta during the 80’s and early 90’s in their Porsche’s. Despite my father’s advice my Godfather decided to build the brand new Slantnose. For those familiar with Road Atlanta and Porsche racing history you might be familiar with the name Franz Blam. He was a crew chief for a factory 935 Race car (actual vehicle the Slantnose is modeled after). A 935 is arguably one of the most dominate race cars Porsche has ever made, along with the 917, and 962. Anyway the cars were so timeless and beautiful and people would convert them to street legal use. Many years later Porsche caught on to this and decided that they would release a special edition in honor of their race car, the 935.
What happens is Porsche builds a normal 930 Turbo, upon completion its sent to the Porsche racing factory, where the Slantnose package is installed. The package is approximately 30k on top of the regular 930 Turbo. The body panels were hand formed steel. Power increased to 330hp (severely detuned for emissions and safety regulations) from a 3.3L F6. Not safety features included, but only Power brakes, didn’t even have power steering. What makes a 89 different for the other Slantnose’s is it’s the last year for the Slantnose and 930, but also the first year for a Turbo 911 to receive the 5 speed the N/A 911’s had. Porsche’s reason for not giving it to them earlier is they said the turbo cars didn’t need a 5 speed. Truly a special car.
Now Franz Blam would start a Porsche racing performance shop, after he was done being crew chief. It would be for maintenance on factory race cars and to convert street legal cars to racing use or to just modify street cars. My Godfather decided to send his Slantnose to Franz Blam for a complete build, much to the disapproval of their little racing group. The car got a completely built engine with Carrillo rods, group B cams, 962 hot boxes, TT, boost management system, fuel cell, twin plug conversion, A/C delete etc. Built 5 speed with short 3,4,5 gears, brakes off a 928S4 (50% larger calipers than a stock 930T), corner balanced bilstein coilovers, enlarged sway bars, enlarged the brake cooling ducts, euro spec front air dam, 934 car car whale tail (much larger than stock, allowing for larger ATA intercooler), caged, RUF yellow bird door mirrors, lightweight BBS racing wheels. Car made over 600chp with 1 bar (atmospheric pressure, 14.7psi) of boost on racing fuel, mild timing. If a 935 intake manifold was used power would be well into the 800’s, possibly close to 9. Engine was very easily capable of 1000 hp at over 2 bar (30lbs). This is in the early 90’s, and it was a very well balanced vehicle that Franz Blam built, with cutting edge parts of the time. Car did very well around Road Atalanta and other road courses. Total cost on mods/labor/tuning: over $100,000
Now 94 comes around and my father purchased the vehicle. On his maiden voyage in the car on road Atlanta the engine goes boom. Diagnosis on the car showed a Carrillo rod wasn’t stretched properly or was getting tired. So a rebuild commenced. Car would be retired from road course racing so a less extreme build took place. A larger single turbo, 934 cams, Fikse wheels, roll cage removed, original door mirrors reinstalled, and fuel tank reinstalled. That’s what I can name off the top of my head, was able to salvage the intake manifold and heads. Power level is around 540chp at 1 bar with race fuel and moderate timing. Total cost for parts (discounted engine parts as well) if you include labor (father built) and tuning afterwards: around $25,000
A year later the car was hit at 25mph while at 25mph. Crushing the front right and rear right body panels. Vehicle was shipped to a body shop in Atlanta for repairs. Porsche has a large factory in Atalanta and they said that, that car didn’t exist. After vin verification and repair assessment. Diagnosis body was savable. Note: in 95 a front fender alone was $4000. After coming to an agreement and plan for repairs was completed the project began. Another fun fact is the person that hit my father had State Farm who want to Bondo repair the vehicle. My father said no, and State Farm refuses to pay for the repairs. So court rules in my father’s favor. While it’s down at the body shop my father decided to have the car completely repainted, minus door jams, engine bay and trunk. It took 24 hours of work to reform the rear panel to OE quality, claimed by the body shop. I believe it. Also not one ounce of Bondo was used on the body. Total cost around $35,000.
So there you have it the story of an 89 Slantnose that has had quite a journey and what it took to make it as stout as it was, and to make it beautiful again.
Again this is not to be taken as a form of bragging, I strictly mean for it to be form of education and awareness of the modification and repair costs of a Porsche.

Pick your poison.
Glad to hear your dad stuck it to State Farm. Curious though, 24hrs is a lot of repair time for any panel, but that large and no bondo? That's sort of hard to believe. I've seen pictures of 7hr dents that PDR saved on a Ferrari, but 24hrs is an absurd amount of time. That's almost doing double what it pays to put a new one on.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread