Any V-10 Owners Here?

PitchBlackL

modding..I have a dream
Established Member
My dad bought his 2000 f250 ext cab long bed with auto and 3.73 gears brand new. He drives it everyday all around north texas with 2,000 bed on it and gets 14-15 mpg with constant start and stop. But the kicker is it has 217,000 miles on it and we haven't had one, not one, problem with it. We are a diesel family so to speak so we were unsure about going to a gas V10 but we love it now. It difinitely exceeded our expectations. We liked it so much we bought another in 02 just like it. Same with it, no problems with the motor at all, but it is a manual and we put a new cluth on it at 90,000. Yes we do have a power stroke for the 6 horse trailer that my mom drives as a daily driver but we love the v10 especially since diesel fuel is more expensive than unleaded now. Go for the v10 and be confident.

Lord Tauk

SVT God
Established Member
Sounds like the V10s get a lot of respect, I never knew so many people actually owned them. I see a bunch of Non-PSD Super Duties everyday but cant tell whether or not they're V8s or V10s, Im never close enough to see the "Triton V8/V10" badge behind the headlights on the sides.

Is the 6.8L V10 really a big difference than the 5.4 in towing/hauling? I know the power (stock) is more.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
You can't get a 6-speed manual in the Excursion, can you? Not prior to '05, if at all?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
A manual was never offered in the Excursion. And the v10 is a night and day difference towing compared to the 5.4L of any year.

Duende

Thomas @ AppOSL.com
Established Member
Thanks for the update, Sid. I thought I'd heard or read that the V10 could be had with a six-speed SOMETHING.

Thanks for the clarification!

hoghunter

Get The Phone
Established Member
I've had a 2000 F-250 with the V-10 and that thing seems unstoppable and as quiet as can be. I believe the Diesals are more quiet now than before but the diesal I test drove in 2000 before picking up the gas version was a little too loud for me and the wife. It's a man's truck for sure and can tow like no other but the V-10 worked for me and has been an excellent choice.

2ndGearPull

Going Down So Smooth!
Established Member
Bought mine in 03 new but from a powerstroke it was different but still does the job with out all that torque I was used too..Check my pics in Superduty roll call.....

Last edited:

Miamifan1354

De Chapter of the MACA
Established Member
Just got an 03 f250 v10. NE one got any info on these things. I know it'll pull my trailer, but could it pull it faster, louder, or more efficiently (mpg)?

MachME

2V Power
Established Member
We had a Excursion for a few years with the v10. I thought i was a crappy motor, i swear something was messed up on it.

Also, about gas vs diesel prices. Diesels were not diesigned off gas.

A long time ago with the Stacy guy was on trucks, i saw this big funnel thing you can buy to make your own gas. Stacy went to a local fast food joint, picked up some barrels of there used cooking grese.

He figured out how much he needed, poured it in this funnel thing to do some filtering. Then he mixed a certain percent of alcohol and somethign else in and got his gas outta it.

Also, it made more power on the dyno after with the homemade gas.

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
MachME said:
A long time ago with the Stacy guy was on trucks, i saw this big funnel thing you can buy to make your own gas. Stacy went to a local fast food joint, picked up some barrels of there used cooking grese.
Stacy now his his own show on ESPN.

I saw the cooking grease show. You'll never see me running around collecting cooking grease and making fuel. I think moonshine would be more profitable (and more fun). ;-)

I know it'll pull my trailer, but could it pull it faster, louder, or more efficiently (mpg)?
I'm sure someone makes "go-fast" parts for a Ford V-10 but why bother? I'd rather spend money to make my cars faster.

You could easily make it louder. Efficiency and a 6000 lb. truck with a V-10 is probably not a reasonable mix.

I am more interested in safety and utility. My truck is both. I just rotated the tires yesterday. I checked the brakes (huge thick rotors and big brake pads), and they all looked good after 30K miles. The spindles and suspension pieces are also heavy duty.

I changed the transmission fluid (30K mile recommendation), and it looked almost new (in color and smell). The tires still have plenty of service life despite the mileage (which was mostly accumulated with a 10,000 pound loaded trailer)

I've towed through 95 degree temperatures and heavy storm conditions. The truck never wavered.

Users who are viewing this thread