Any V-10 Owners Here?

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Mach&Roll said:
I know it is not an option, but you could have them put in later. I was telling my dad that he might want to look into that. I was thinking either that or the 3.73's. Do you think 3.55's would ok to lug that much weight around? :shrug:

If you're just wanting better milage this is the wrong vehicle for you. They do make 3.55 for these trucks, but you'd have well over $1000 to install them in a 4x4 and that would buy a lot of gas.

Mach&Roll

Established Member
good call. It is my dads truck and he keeps them forever, but you are right 1000 dollars would buy a lot of gas. I don't think he will pull more than a couple thousand pounds now that he sold his fifth wheel. Thanks for the help guys.

FordRacing200

Banned
fastnotch said:
I dont think they make gears that size for those trucks. Plus you dont want a gear that size anyway, the truck would be such a dog you would not be able to pull anything with it.
They do make them, just it'd be useless, its not worth the whole 1/2 mpg you'd get out of them. The BEST mod for better fuel mileage is a centrifugal blower, my uncle put a procharger on his 5.4 powered 7700HD F-150 and it went from 15-17mpg with HEAVY Driving (average mph between 79 and 128)

1995COBRA-R

20 Year Member
Established Member
Premium Member
New thread....

SID297 said:
Well, how do you like your truck? I'm thinking of getting an 06 6spd v10.
Sid,
Thanks for adding the new SuperDuty thread.

I have 25K miles on my automatic '04 F350 2V V10. I ordered the truck and picked it up in Oct. of 2003. I am very pleased with the truck. I've done nothing except change the oil. I ordered the manual hubs due to it's simplicity.

I get 12 mpg around town/highway and 8 mpg towing a 10,000 lb. trailer. Although it lacks the pulling power of a diesel, it handles everything that I require in a tow/work truck. It is completely stock and will remain so until I sell it to buy the future redesigned SD.

I understand that the new design will not include a V10 as an option :shrug: .

F350

Mach&Roll

Established Member
Wow sounds like you guys really love your V10's. I am a chevy truck man myself, but my dad loves his V10 as well.

mfracing

Established Member
in 03 i leased a ex cab shortbed trident v10 and i loved it so much i bought it when the lease was up! i load it up with a camper and tow a race car or a 23' daycruiser, just set the cruise and forget it. diesel stinks, you can't just stop anywhere and get it and it cost more. i get about the same milage towing.

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
fastnotch said:
I dont think they make gears that size for those trucks. Plus you dont want a gear that size anyway, the truck would be such a dog you would not be able to pull anything with it.
after owning several gas pickups with 3:55's most pickups tow just fine with those gears, unless you are towing enough weight that you should own a diesel. They were an option until 97 then the SD come out.

Mach&Roll

Established Member
So you think the 3.55's would do fine huh? That is cool. I want a diesel, but I think I will stick with the Vortec V8. I like chevy trucks and mustangs. My dad is a ford truck man. He is the one wit the 4.3's out back of his V10 and paying for it at the pump a little bit. I thought the 3.55's would be fine for that truck.

04TNCobra

Mystichrome #794
Established Member
I've got a 04 V10 6-speed super cab SRW with manual hubs and have really liked it. I don't pull that often, a load of hay here and there and a couple cars a year, so it handles that and it gets me anywhere I need to on the farm. I have the 4.30 gears too.

If I was hauling a lot more or for long distances more often I'd probably go with a dually PSD but this truck has been a great truck and has been good for me. No problems so far at 40,000 miles.

03'Darin

Established Member
Did you ever end up buying one of these trucks Sid? If so has it met your early expectations? I have a 2005 (3-valve) F-250 Crew Cab short bed 4 X 4 and love it. There are many reasons I didn't buy the diesel, $5k up front was one of them. The diesel is a great engine and if I'd have had a spare $5k laying around I may have thought just a little harder about my decision.... but not much. lol My truck has 4.10's and 20's on it. The 20's hurt the mileage compared to what my customers with 18's and 17's get. I just ran about 300 miles yesterday picking parts up from 2 other board members here and got 13 mpg running 75-85 mph.

Darin

HalfTime

Race it how you drive it.
Established Member
My father just bought a brand new V-10 F-250, I know nothing about it other then it's silver and has 4 doors. Sorry I'm no help. I can't wait to get up to WI and check it out. I'm hoping he'll let me make the exhaust for him. he he he.

03'Darin

Established Member
Be careful, believe it or not it's difficult to improve on the factory exhaust. Many people have lost hp, tq and fuel mileage with exhaust changes on the 05' and newer V-10. Great tech on that can be found at fordtruckenthusiast.com I'm itching to change the exhaust on mine but am concerned about the end result of sound and power.

Darin

FearblueR1

Established Member
SID297 said:
I plan on getting an F-350 SRW ex cab short bed. V-10 6 speed 4x4 (manual trans case) with 4.30's.

Well I think you will be very happy.

I have picked up 2 months ago, a used 2005 with 22,000 miles on it.

CC, shortbed, V10, 4x4, 6 speed auto.

I have been getting 14.5 on the hwy with no load. 10.5 in the city. Now for me its not a race truck, but I don't baby it either.

Plenty of power, no complaints.

03'Darin

Established Member
FearblueR1 said:

I have been getting 14.5 on the hwy with no load. 10.5 in the city. Now for me its not a race truck, but I don't baby it either.

Great to hear! Everyone I have sold the V-10 to loves it. Some people still complain about the fuel mileage, even after telling them ahead of time what to expect. For most cases the V-10 is still the best value for the money.

Oh btw, you truck has to either be a 6 spd manual or 5 spd auto. They didn't make a 6 spd auto in the Super Duty..... yet.

Darin

Mydirtytruck

The GT is waking up
Established Member
I have an 01 F250 with the V10. Mine has a 4" lift and 35" BFG Mud Terrain's on it. The only other mod is a Banks Kit, the one with the bigger exhaust and CAI. I get about 10.5 in the city and about the same on the interstate. The power and torque are great! Seems like once the truck is over 2k rpms, the milage starts to drop though.

Last edited:

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
FearblueR1 said:

6 SP Auto??? Where have I been, does ford have a 6 SP Auto in heavy trucks now? I dont think so.

Users who are viewing this thread