any royal purple ice users?

djom1cincy

Established Member
I was checking out royal purple page and something caught my eyes. It's called purple ice. It's a additive for coolant. Says it keeps temps lower. So is anyone using this stuff in the radiators or heat exchanger? How's it working for you?

BlkCCSvt

Established Member
I used it in my 98 GT dropped coolant temp a legit 20 Degrees. Im actually gonna put it in mine tonight. Ill let ya know asap.

Instigator99

427 whaaaaat?
Established Member
I put it in my SRT4 back in the day, didn't hurt it. I plan on running the Amsoil Dominator coolant boost, but Purple Ice would work just the same I'd assume.

-Eric

SVTDice

Established Member
I was looking into Amsoil's Dominator coolant boost, And Redlines Water wetter, But I have heard mixed things about adding them to certain coolants, Like Motorcraft Gold Coolant etc. If anybody care to chim in with any experience or anything. I'd appreciate it.

kingcobra8541

The Dude
Established Member
I run it in my car but didnt data log before and after temps though...I run it in my inter cooler and radiator fluid.

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
There's data out there that shows the coolant does drop the temps but does not offer any corrosion protection.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
Run water wetter and distilled water in the I/C Tank in the summer

RoKat

Piece of History
Established Member
Used it in my GT, visible dropped the temps. Putting it in my 04 cobra as soon as I get it put back together. I know guys that worked with the engineering side, and the results over competitors was amazing. To each his own tho.

AKcobra

Established Member
Changing my engine coolant now. Bought some Amsoil Dominator Coolant Boost. I'm going to finish my flush, and then go do some Datalogging before I add the Coolant Boost. Then I'll add the Coolant Boost and do some more Datalogging.

Provided the Radiator drain petcock goes back in easier than it came out. Had to use pliers on because the plastic head was stripping out with screw drivers.

Bottle claims it can lower Engine Temps up to 19*F. Also says it helps fight radiator corrosion.

Last edited:

Brutal Metal

Established Member
Run water wetter and distilled water in the I/C Tank in the summer
THIS!! Why pay more $$ than Redline when the stuff is known to have foaming problems, I've never personally used the RP stuff but have read about issues associated with it here and on other sites!

1320 Junkie

Established Member
I heard about this stuff the other day, going to try it out in my i/c system for the summer months with some distilled water

Jimmysidecarr

Semi user friendly
Established Member
There's data out there that shows the coolant does drop the temps but does not offer any corrosion protection.

Not true at all! It has a very robust anti corrosion package, including Galvanic corrosion. Something that is does not do however is offer any freeze protection or boil point enhancement, perhaps that's where the confusion came about?

The last thing I want is corrosion in the intercooler.
It has a very robust anti corrosion package.

THIS!! Why pay more $$ than Redline when the stuff is known to have foaming problems, I've never personally used the RP stuff but have read about issues associated with it here and on other sites!

That was the old formula and it was also nearly always due to an overdose issue. If you see the clear bottle it is the old formula, be careful of your dosage and you'll be fine. I'm now using the old formula and I have NO FOAM.
The new formula has an opaque purple bottle and is improved on several features, two of them being better anti foaming and even better corrosion protection, including galvanic corrsion.

I heard about this stuff the other day, going to try it out in my i/c system for the summer months with some distilled water
If you are running a straight water mix DO NOT USE distilled water, it is more active than tap(low mineral) or filtered drinking water regarding galvanic corrosion/electrolysis in this application, just use regular bottled gallons of drinking water.
The dosing is 1 1/2 to 2 ounces per quart with straight water and one ounce per quart with a 50/50 water antifreeze mix.

Product info http://www.royalpurple.com/prod-pdfs/purple-ice-ps.pdf

The biggest temp drops are always going to be with a straight water/Purple Ice mix. Lot's of race tracks across the country do not allow any Glycol based coolant mixes except for certain street vehicle events.
Our racing customers love this stuff.:rockon:

Be careful if you reduce your antifreeze percentage, remember to beef it back up before winter, you do not want to freeze up and damage your block. I/C, H/E, radiator or heater core.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
I might give it a whirl. I use Water Wetter/Distilled in the intercooler and a touch of the Wetter in the coolant as well.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Lol at Jimmy posting in Purple.
I've been using the RP stuff for years in both cooling systems. I have no before after data to prove it works, but like the head cooling mod, why not. I didn't know they changed it though. As Jimmy mentioned, be carefull to add it as per the directions, or you'll get foam, ask me how I know.

Users who are viewing this thread