Any 40+ LASIK individuals here?

Coiled03

Established Member
Decide what your goals are, if you don't need corrective lenses in daily life I wouldn't get LASIK to avoid reading glasses.

And earlier in life is better than later; you'll heal faster. (they'll want to know if your vision is stable or degrading: if it's stable you're a good candidate.)

Isn't everyone's vision degrading past a certain age? I sure know my eyes aren't getting any better.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Though I don't fit your age parameters, I'm just chiming in to say I had lasik done two weeks ago. I used a Groupon and did both eyes for $1395 at the Lasik Vision Institute in South Florida. I was -3.50 in both eyes. The next day I was 20/20 in both eyes and one week later I was 20/15. I'd recommend it to anyone.
Do you mind if I ask what surgery you got for that price? The place I’m going offers 7 types of surgeries at different price points. Did your ophthalmologist recommend this clinic?

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
How is the vision at night after surgery? do you still get halos? Are we talking 20/20 vision at all times after surgery?

My vision improved dramatically. Immediately after my surgery I could read the signs on buses on the street from my 26th floor office window. Vision has deteriorated a little bit but not much.

How is this any different?

All honesty here as I haven't researched it enough. I'm scared of sticker shock.

Totally agree. The surgery itself is a commodity, docs use the same machines, there is no difference IMO. Also PSA if you are not aware but you can pay for this with your HSA/FSA $.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Do you mind if I ask what surgery you got for that price? The place I’m going offers 7 types of surgeries at different price points. Did your ophthalmologist recommend this clinic?

Just lasik... I don't know all the different things they can do. I just know I see very well now. No halos or other things people complain about.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
What I researched is that there is currently two main types, micro and femto lasik. With femto lasik they have C I iD FSO FSQ GT procedures. These different surgeries run from about $500 to $1600 per eye at my location.

jshen

Established Member
I am in my second day of recovery from "refractive lens exchange". I am 67 and for the first time in 20 years do not need glasses. I had an RK 25 years ago and after 5 years my eyes changed..The custom lens eliminated cataracts and provided permanent solution for vision.

venmos1

Established Member
By recovery time, are we saying some it takes 2 weeks before one can go back to work? Or just before being fully healed? I would think night vision would be the last to take form / heal.

TheShadow

Hey, you're a funny guy.
Established Member
No LASIK here, as my long vision is still slightly better than 20/20 at 54. I can chime in on the readers though. Started feeling the need at 51, and now they are an absolute necessity, as my arms just aren't long enough anymore. If I can touch it, it's blurry and I can only focus with extreme effort. Problem is that I (still) constantly go out, forgetting my readers. LOL!

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
By recovery time, are we saying some it takes 2 weeks before one can go back to work? Or just before being fully healed? I would think night vision would be the last to take form / heal.

I went back to work the next day. The recovery is very fast. I have heard the healing process can be a few months, but as far as your vision and being able to see, it is same-day. I was concerned about night vision but it is the same as it was pre-surgery. Driving at night is fine and walking my dogs late has been a nonissue.

jshen

Established Member
My left eye was done in April and I had to wear glasses with one lens out. Healing was an issue as I am an old goat. I looked and felt like a freak and the effects had me dizzy as hell. Once I had the second eye done- my brain has readily accepted the change. I can clearly see and read...but it will take weeks to get to "normal". You can work the next day if you don't have the issues I had. Again the first eye is the bitch as one has to heal before a doc will do the second.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member

No, LASIK heals quickly, PRK takes 2 weeks (mine took more). The eye doctor did say that your cornea replaces itself every 45 days.

PRK doesn't use the flap to cover the 'wound' so the whole cornea surface has to heal.

LASIK needs to heal too, but you've got a clear skin band-aid over it

What either really is, is using a laser to sculpt your cornea into an organic contact lens.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I am in my second day of recovery from "refractive lens exchange". I am 67 and for the first time in 20 years do not need glasses. I had an RK 25 years ago and after 5 years my eyes changed..The custom lens eliminated cataracts and provided permanent solution for vision.
With the lens exchange your eyes can now focus up close to read as well giving you good distance sight correct? Or do you still need reading glasses?

jshen

Established Member
it is supposed to give you both distance and close...my eyes are still getting used to things and right now I have no glasses at all. I can read medicine bottles and see computer as well as drive. My dr. said I can try +1 reading glasses in the end but my eyes were pretty screwed up from RK in 1990..The complaint I have, is that insurance did not cover costs. Procedure requires 3 trips to dr.- one for measuring and assessing eye condition - from that lens are created specifically for that eye and condition- Second visit- the installation takes about 10 minutes- w/good drugs and third is post op review.

jshen

Established Member
Thank you! I did not know this technology was available until my brother, a physician, had the procedure months before. I take antibiotic drops 3 times a day and I am good to go. So nice having peripheral vision again..

ViciousJay

Established Member
I had Lasik done back in 2003. 15 years later and I still don't need glasses.
Is it true you might need to do it every 20 years? I'm 36 and considering with a astigmatismin my left eye , but also I heard you can only do it twice, is this correct?

Last edited:

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I heard it does not change over time though your eyes will change with age changing your vision slightly. Most will need reading glasses at some point even with lasik, this starts to happen over 40 years old.

Consult your ophthalmologist for insight for your astigmatism.

Zodiac

Established Member
Great thread! I actually went for a consultation for bladeless lasik a couple weeks ago. Total is about $3,800. I'm working on getting the money together. I do get a 5% discount from my insurance, but since it's elective I gotta pay the full cost. Price includes the surgery, medications, all follow up appointments for a year and any touch ups if needed.

Those that have had it seems you would do it all over again?

Users who are viewing this thread