Any 40+ LASIK individuals here?

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I’m looking at LASIK with the Alcon FS200 bladeless machine, however I’m 42 and can’t focus my eyes to read with my glasses on like I could just 3 years ago.

If I have the surgury I will need reading glasses, if I don’t I simply take my glasses off to read. Generally I am active and outdoors a bit, I spend a good bit of money on new glasses and Rx sunglasses every 3 to 5 years.

GodStang

Established Member
What is the question? My dad had it in his 50s and I had it at 32. He loved it so much that he paid for me to get it done. He still has to use reading glasses. This was maybe 10 years ago he got his done.

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Do it.
I was hesitant and dragged my feet for several years until finally pulling trigger five years ago. Wished I did it many years ago.

If I had to have surgery every 2 years to keep my eyes working I would still do it.

Beware of monovision surgery though. I was going to have this done and was told not to.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
The doctor recommended monovision so I could read without glasses. I won’t do this as would lose depth perception.

The question is this. If I have it done, I would most likely need glasses to read as I’m over 40 years old. Is there any 40+ year old people with lasik that have to use glasses to read?
Is it better to have lasik and have to glasses to read or better not to have lasik so I can read without glasses?

Klaus

Established Member
Premium Member
Is it better to have lasik and have to glasses to read

This IMO. I am very active and the benefit of not having to deal with glasses when running, shooting, etc far outweighs the need for readers.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Get your eyes done best for all daily activities and deal with reading glasses when the need comes along.

Don't compromise your vision to avoid reading glasses; they're not that much of a problem, and you may not need them for awhile.

(backstory; got lasik (PRK, actually) in 2002 in my 40's, LOVE IT. Just recently need reading glasses 1.50, (I'm 54), and only when I'm soldering boards or making cables. Small work, if the light isn't good. I don't yet need them to actually read, and I'm not holding the books all that far away.)

BTW, reading glass need is caused by presbyopia, where the lens in your eye loses elasticity. It affects nearly everyone at some time, starting in your 40's. The lens doesn't go thick enough when looking close. Some people aren't affected at all, although this is rare.

Monovision sounds to me like all of life is compromised in an effort to avoid something that's normal and natural. My brother got it done that way, and still needs reading glasses.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Thanks. I can’t read while wearing my current prescription. The ophthalmologist said because of this, that if I get both eyes done I will need reading glasses right after my surgery.

Reading even trying to look at my phone when I’m out, I will need to carry glasses wherever I go. At least what I’m being told.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
OK, get your ophthalmologist to give you your options and make your decision with his informed opinion versus your situation.

My vision was abysmal, so there wasn't enough cornea for LASIK, I needed PRK.

So I did what I just described above. There was an ophthalmologist associated with the LASIK doctor who gave me my options.

DriftwoodSVT

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Established Member
How many people here have done lasik are over 40 years old, and do you need glasses to read?

I had mine done 15 years ago. I'm 42 now and don't need glasses.

My procedure was done at the Milwaukee Eye Institute or something like that. Paid $600 total.

2000GTSTANG

Established Member
How much are you guys paying for lasik? Im 28 and have been wearing contacts since 19 and getting sick of paying for them every year (1 a days). Ive been contemplating lasik for a while now.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I have thought about it. I use glasses for reading although I can read without them if I hold the material farther away. But when it comes to reading labels on little containers forget it. I need the glasses. I have noticed that if I use abundant natural light instead of incandescent/fluorescent I don't need glasses at all. I've tossed around the idea of Lasik, though. Is it usually covered by insurance or is it considered solely an elective procedure?

Great Asp

Established Member
Premium Member
How many people here have done lasik are over 40 years old, and do you need glasses to read?

I had it done at 59 (2-1/2 years ago) and the Doc told me to wear reading glasses because of the time I spend at a desk and behind a computer all day.

I would do it all over again. I wore glasses almost my entire life, and only an issue wearing contacts made me take the step to have my eyes adjusted.

Dusk is the time of day that it is the most difficult to see as (I think) it takes time for my eyes to adjust. And certain lighting cause glare. But it is fantastic and I would do it again.

E

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
OK, get your ophthalmologist to give you your options and make your decision with his informed opinion versus your situation.

My vision was abysmal, so there wasn't enough cornea for LASIK, I needed PRK.

So I did what I just described above. There was an ophthalmologist associated with the LASIK doctor who gave me my options.
My doctor is saying since I need to take my glasses off to read(I would be able to focus on reading with my perscription just two years ago) I would need reading glasses.

Now I’m thinking twice, if I would need to pull out glasses just to read/check my phone after lasik I’m not sure if that will be inconvienent or not.

How much are you guys paying for lasik? Im 28 and have been wearing contacts since 19 and getting sick of paying for them every year (1 a days). Ive been contemplating lasik for a while now.

It’s about $2k an eye in the states and sometimes more the more advanced technology such as FS200 or Intralasik, better known as bladeless lasik.

A friend just had hers done at $6k total. There are chop shops/clinics where this is all they do, advertising $700/800 per eye. To me I’d gladly pay for the highest quality work as you only get 2 eyes.
Some employers or insurance companies subsidize the procedure so check with them.

Last edited:

capnkirk52

Eat more POTATOES!!!
Established Member
Shouldn't you have all the ZR1 stats all memorized by now and not need to read so much??? LMAO.

I kid. I got Lasik for my GF last year. She's 35 and it was the best thing she ever got. My vote would be to get Lasik and then lug around some readers. Good Luck!

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
The doctor recommended monovision so I could read without glasses. I won’t do this as would lose depth perception.

The question is this. If I have it done, I would most likely need glasses to read as I’m over 40 years old. Is there any 40+ year old people with lasik that have to use glasses to read?
Is it better to have lasik and have to glasses to read or better not to have lasik so I can read without glasses?
I'm wearing glasses as I read this. I had to have reading glasses a year ago.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread