Any 40+ LASIK individuals here?

08mojo

Established Member
Do you wear contacts at all? I can read up close just fine with contacts in. With glasses on, I have to remove them to read anything up-close. I have no idea why it makes a difference, but it does.

That said, I have a friend that recently turned 50. He had lasik done when he was in his late 30s. He is just now to the point where he needs reading glasses. He is fighting it as long as he can by refusing to buy reading glasses, holding his phone as far away as possible, and borrowing others' reading glasses when he needs them.

It'd be a tough call for me. If contacts bought me a few more years, I'd go that route.

Rare40th

Established Member
I'm starting to look into it (26 yo). My father had it done in 2011 at 49. He uses some reading glasses he bought from a Walgreens shelf. Other than that his vision hasn't changed and he says it was the best thing he ever did.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
Do you wear contacts at all? I can read up close just fine with contacts in. With glasses on, I have to remove them to read anything up-close. I have no idea why it makes a difference, but it does.

That said, I have a friend that recently turned 50. He had lasik done when he was in his late 30s. He is just now to the point where he needs reading glasses. He is fighting it as long as he can by refusing to buy reading glasses, holding his phone as far away as possible, and borrowing others' reading glasses when he needs them.

It'd be a tough call for me. If contacts bought me a few more years, I'd go that route.

That’s interesting. No I don’t wear contacts, I don’t like touching my eyes.
I’m assuming after lasik would be a lot like contacts. If so it’s possible I could still focus to read for a few more years without reading glasses.
Thanks for the info...

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
I had Lasik done back in 2003. 15 years later and I still don't need glasses.

Same here, April of 2003, I’m 50 now and eyes are still doing fine.

The only thing I notice is sometimes at night my eyes are tired, like if I’m scrolling thru the channel guide on the tv or something similar, I have to focus a bit.

I paid $1500 for both eyes. Best money I ever spent on myself.

venmos1

Established Member
Im 37 and have had contacts/glasses since high school. Currently my prescription is -3.25. its held there in both eyes for a good amount of time. Last eye exam i asked my DR about corrective surgery. He basically said that at my age it wouldnt be worth it as eventually i would need reading glasses anyway. I have talked to others that have had it done, and like on here, the consensus is its the best money they have ever spent. Never heard one bad thing about it.
My concern is my age. I cant stand not being able to see perfectly at all times. This is one thing that frustrates me with contacts as they tend to get dirty/blurry etc which can also irritate your eyes. Lately i have been taking them out every night and putting in every morning. That has helped the quality of the contacts overall. In the past i would wear them straight for a few days (they were made for this). But they would get crappy and irritate my eyes. Then i switch to glasses, which are nice because i dont have to mess with contacts. But they are a pain on sunny days, driving etc.

How is the vision at night after surgery? do you still get halos? Are we talking 20/20 vision at all times after surgery?

lilcoop03

Established Member
Same here, April of 2003, I’m 50 now and eyes are still doing fine.

The only thing I notice is sometimes at night my eyes are tired, like if I’m scrolling thru the channel guide on the tv or something similar, I have to focus a bit.

I paid $1500 for both eyes. Best money I ever spent on myself.

Where did you have it done for that price?

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
Where did you have it done for that price?

Montreal, Canada

Www.lasikmd.ca

I did my research, apples for apples same procedure and equipment as here in the states.

In boston they wanted over $4000 to do it back then. Montreal is a 5 hour ride, went up with a friend, had pre exam the day before, procedure the next day, follow up the morning after, and headed home.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
I'm chomping at the bit to get this done.

A couple of things I've noted:

There is talk of avoiding "cheap"...

Why?

Nobody uses a scalpel anymore and the laser is self targeting with the surgeon only making corrections that he or she sees fit, yes?

Since it is pretty much automated and there aren't exactly a bunch of cheap quality machines out there, does it really matter how much they charge?

I mean, people pay outrageous amounts of money for a the same car offered under a cheaper brand badge just because they put a "luxury" badge on the same car.

How is this any different?

All honesty here as I haven't researched it enough. I'm scared of sticker shock.

ImThatGuy

Huffing Ether
Established Member
Im not over 40, but I had Lasik done less than a year ago and it takes a whole 20 mins, my vision is very close to 20/10 still. However I do have some slight farsightedness that is barely noticeable, and the surgeon mentioned that most Lasik patients will require reading glasses when they are in there mid 40s. Halos come and go, just depending on what I am looking. I can say its one of the best things I have done.

Coiled03

Established Member
I've always wanted to learn more about laser vision correction. I'm in my mid-40s now, and could definitely use glasses. I'd prefer not to get them, though, and just go with corrective surgery. Is there an ideal time to do it in terms of age?

Machdup1

Established Member
Everyone I know who had it loved it.

Except my mom, who nearly went blind.

I have had laser surgery with double cataract lens replacement. My astigmatisms came back, but at least I don't see a haze anymore. I had two minor concerns. The first is when I could smell my eye burning from the cut. The second was when the doctor was replacing the lens in the and he says "ooops".

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
I'm chomping at the bit to get this done.

A couple of things I've noted:

There is talk of avoiding "cheap"...

Why?

Nobody uses a scalpel anymore and the laser is self targeting with the surgeon only making corrections that he or she sees fit, yes?

Since it is pretty much automated and there aren't exactly a bunch of cheap quality machines out there, does it really matter how much they charge?

I mean, people pay outrageous amounts of money for a the same car offered under a cheaper brand badge just because they put a "luxury" badge on the same car.

How is this any different?

All honesty here as I haven't researched it enough. I'm scared of sticker shock.

High quality and precise machines are not exactly cheap. The second the knowledge and the quality of the surgeon doing the op. Many things can go wrong which leads to loss of an eye.

Everyone I know who had it loved it.

Except my mom, who nearly went blind.

I have had laser surgery with double cataract lens replacement. My astigmatisms came back, but at least I don't see a haze anymore. I had two minor concerns. The first is when I could smell my eye burning from the cut. The second was when the doctor was replacing the lens in the and he says "ooops".

As example.
Sorry to hear about your mom.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
I've always wanted to learn more about laser vision correction. I'm in my mid-40s now, and could definitely use glasses. I'd prefer not to get them, though, and just go with corrective surgery. Is there an ideal time to do it in terms of age?

Decide what your goals are, if you don't need corrective lenses in daily life I wouldn't get LASIK to avoid reading glasses.

And earlier in life is better than later; you'll heal faster. (they'll want to know if your vision is stable or degrading: if it's stable you're a good candidate.)

HillbillyHotRod

Hooligan rabble rouser
Established Member
Not to derail this I was somewhat the opposite situation. Was extremely near sighted. Went in to check on having it done and was told nope because of age, 60. Anyway a couple years later they recommended cataract surgery. So went with that and now a few years later near perfect vision. I do need readers but compared to before that is nothing. I have them scattered all over the place so never carry them on me.

GNBRETT

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Best thing I ever did at age 40. I now see 20/15 and 20/20. Got eagle eyes now. I did experience Halo's for the first 6 moths tho with bright LED lights and flashing lights but it did eventually go away.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
High quality and precise machines are not exactly cheap. The second the knowledge and the quality of the surgeon doing the op. Many things can go wrong which leads to loss of an eye.

As example.
Sorry to hear about your mom.
I would need to be sedated. The thought of someone touching my eye is not something I can handle. Watching the video made me cringe.

Sent from my SM-G930V using the svtperformance.com mobile app

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
You'll love it, and wonder why you hadn't done it before.

Even having PRK only took 6 minutes per eye, and I left being able to see OK. The least comfortable part was the recovery (2 weeks) and the super cold water my eyes were flushed with.

LASIK recovery is pretty much overnight.

MinGrey02Stg2

Established Member
Though I don't fit your age parameters, I'm just chiming in to say I had lasik done two weeks ago. I used a Groupon and did both eyes for $1395 at the Lasik Vision Institute in South Florida. I was -3.50 in both eyes. The next day I was 20/20 in both eyes and one week later I was 20/15. I'd recommend it to anyone.

Users who are viewing this thread