Another Hellion Cobra

TRBO VNM

there is going to be another..actually, already is. I need to take some pics. It will be tuned december 2nd and handed over to the owner then. I just need to get the wideband replaced and it is done.

SVTboy

Established Member
Update

This past weekend went really well. On friday I went up to the PSCA event at the speedway and met up with Nate and the rest of the Hellion gang as they had one of their cars in the comp, it was a good time. Anyway that night Nate and I took my car out and did some street tuning, all I can say is WOW!!! We did a bunch of pulls and got it base tuned for right now. Nate did an awsome job on the tune, i'm very impressed with how it runs and we still have more to do. So far it is set up with 15* max timing and the A/F is in the low 10s!! We were only able to get 18lbs of boost because a few settings on the boost controller where mixed up (I called Greddy and figured out what needed to be changed). Once the turbo starts to boost the car pulls soooooo hard its amazing, its a much different feeling from the eaton, the drivability is also spot on, it idles fine, crusing is fine, etc... I hope to get to the dyno by the end of the week or early next week to see where we're at. Still got more tuning to come but I'm very happy with how its running at this point. Once again I gotta give a big thanks to Nate for helping me out, your the MAN!!!!..... Alex

primo

Established Member
SVTboy said:
This past weekend went really well. On friday I went up to the PSCA event at the speedway and met up with Nate and the rest of the Hellion gang as they had one of their cars in the comp, it was a good time. Anyway that night Nate and I took my car out and did some street tuning, all I can say is WOW!!! We did a bunch of pulls and got it base tuned for right now. Nate did an awsome job on the tune, i'm very impressed with how it runs and we still have more to do. So far it is set up with 15* max timing and the A/F is in the low 10s!! We were only able to get 18lbs of boost because a few settings on the boost controller where mixed up (I called Greddy and figured out what needed to be changed). Once the turbo starts to boost the car pulls soooooo hard its amazing, its a much different feeling from the eaton, the drivability is also spot on, it idles fine, crusing is fine, etc... I hope to get to the dyno by the end of the week or early next week to see where we're at. Still got more tuning to come but I'm very happy with how its running at this point. Once again I gotta give a big thanks to Nate for helping me out, your the MAN!!!!..... Alex

do you stall at all when you boost then let off? Or sometimes stopping?

TRBO VNM

T BAG said:
do you stall at all when you boost then let off? Or sometimes stopping?

if this is happening there are a couple things that can be done. There are some things in the tune that can be adjusted, but also adding spacers in the BOV could help as well.

SVTboy

Established Member
I have no stall issues at all, my blowoff valve was bolted on right out of the box, I would suggest contacting your tuner...

primo

Established Member
SVTboy said:
I have no stall issues at all, my blowoff valve was bolted on right out of the box, I would suggest contacting your tuner...

what MAF meter are you running?

boost12

Established Member
Greddy Boost controllers are JUNK. I ran a few of then on my Evos and WRX and the things just never worked right. Never would hold a steddy boost curve and the thing was supposed to boost to 45 psi and I was never able to make more than 21. I sent it back to get "flashed" like greddy said and got it back but the controller was the same.

SVTboy

Established Member
Numbers

Finally got some numbers. Drove a good half an hour through traffic up to the dyno, had maybe about 15 min to cool down before the first pull. The pulls were made on a Dynojet dyno. Had some wheelspin issues so two people sat on the rear bumper with the trunk open, it helped but the dyno still showed a little spin. This should be a good starting point to get everything dialed in...

Pulls were made to 6500 RPMs, the tune set at 15* max timing, A/F was in the mid to high tens at the tailpipe, running on 91 octane at 15lbs of boost it made 600hp and 635trq.

For now I am happy with the numbers. I intended to put 100 octane in it but every station here in Vegas that sells that octane is out, no joke, so I had to go with the 91. The tune is safe for day to day driving and thats how I wanted it. I know that if we leaned it out a little it would make more power. I also think that my boost controller needs more adjusting to get some more response from the turbo. Track times and more numbers to come, after the holidays I plan on having the tune adjusted and upping the boost another 10lbs, should be interesting...

J

Janstang

SVTboy said:
Well, after 8 months of having my car sit and dealing with a deadbeat shop that went under AND took my money I finally got the car back on the road. With the help of a few friends we did the full motor/trans/turbo install in my garage over the course of 3 days. We had a few snags and had to make more than a few trips to the parts store and home depot but nothing major. As of today I have about 300 miles on it and so far so good. The turbo kit bolted on just like it was said too, I'm very happy with how it went. The Evans water/oil system is working like a champ, didn't know at first how it was going work out but I can say that the water temp and oil pres. both stay in check, very happy with it as well. With the new front suspension (UPR) the car handles great, I just had it aligned yesterday, it feels way better then before. I have a base tune from Scott at MileHi just so I could get the car running, so far no check engine lights or fault codes. I've been driving it easy but I did get a few lbs of boost out of it, as soon as the turbo starts to spool it feels like it wants to take off and it sounds unreal. Once I get a few more miles on it I'll be taking it to the dyno to get some numbers.

I have to give a big thanks to my Hellion dealer Jason (TRBO VNM) for always picking up his phone and helping me with any questions I had, Nate (Hellioncobra) for his tech support and my two close friends from back east, John and Rich, who took the time to help me while they were out here in Vegas on vacation.

Anyway, here are a few more specs on the motor along with some pics, feel free to comment or ask questions... Alex

Rebuilt motor, .020 over JE pistons, manley rods, stock crank, balanced, Canton deep sump oil pan, Evans water/oil system

Jan 05 heads, ported, crower springs/retainers, Lethal/Coastal custom turbo grind cams, LDC cooling mod, 01 Cobra manifold, Accufab twin bore TB, 60lb injectors

Hellion 76mm ball bearing turbo kit with borla stinger cat back, Greddy Profec B Spec II EBC

IMG_1562.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1562.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1565.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1569.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1567.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1552.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1563.jpg
[/IMG]

IMG_1573.jpg
[/IMG]
Where do you have the rubber line attached to your PCV going? Looks like its goes down beside the brake booster, but I could be seeing it wrong in the pic..

SVTboy

Established Member
The line coming off of the driver side valve cover goes into a small catch can mounted on the fender, the line comes off of the catch can and runs along the firewall and tees into a port under the the throttle body... I'll try to take a few pictures in the morning so you can get a better look, I've also added a catch can on the passenger side, I found that after a WOT pull the breather would spit oil out of it and onto the valve cover which would then run down onto the manifold and turn into a smoke show for all to see, it got annoying real quick... check for pics in the morning...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread