Another DD question. 08' ranger or 04' s10 Xtreme

ATX5.0

Established Member
I am looking into a DD to get me to and from work. My commute is 60 miles/day. Reason is I want to keep the mileage down on the coyote yada yada yada..mods etc. The seller for the 08' ranger will take 4800 and seller for the 04 Xtreme will come down to 5000. Vehicle info: ranger: 120k, single cab, 4 cyl, auto, new tires. S10: 100k, single cab, v6, 3rd owner. Both are in good condition and Carfax checks out. Just wanted to hear some of y'all's opinions.. Thanks

Posted via Topify using iPhone/iPad

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
Ranger. 2.3L 4 cylinder>4.3L v6 vortec for gas mileage plus new tires on the ranger.

ATX5.0

Established Member
Thanks for the input y'all. Defs leaning towards the ranger now.

black4vcobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Party Liquor Posse
Yup, depends if you want decent power and poor mileage with the S10 or no power and decent mileage from the Ranger. Ranger is probably more reliable and S10 probably has better styling.

ATX5.0

Established Member
Yea I like the styling on the Xtreme but it makes more sense to get the ranger.

AAG

Established Member
The Ranger will be more reliable.

Doubt it, the 4.3 (basically an LS engine missing two cylinders) is extremely reliable and actually moves under its own power due to the 250 lb/tq.

Sure the ranger is more fuel efficient, but it is beyond slow and down right scary to merge with. If that is the case get a Civic that'll get you 40 mpg.

Last edited:

Gravik

Established Member
A 2.3l 5 speed Ranger is probably one of the most reliable vehicles you can buy. Only con is they're slower than a Civic. I absolutely hated driving my 2.3 Ranger on the freeway.

IMO, I would find a nice 4.0 5 speed Ranger. Stay away from the 3.0.

NC85

Lurker for Life
Established Member
S10

That Ranger will have you Fred Flinstoning back and forth to work. Dog ass motor and can't seem to keep head gaskets or cranks on any of my buddies who had one.

S10 will do okay on gas, mine is 4.3 5spd and will knock low 20s or slightly better on flat highway only. Mine is all city and gets 16-17 mpg.

ATX5.0

Established Member
The traffic is horrible here in Austin and just looking to save on gas and have something that I won't be throwing to much money into. I hear the pros v cons of each. Ultimately gas milege and reliability are the main factors I'm looking into. It can be slow as a snail, that's not going to bother me much.

ATX5.0

Established Member
True. Id prefer a truck bc they come more in handy. ie for small projects, etc.

03slow6

Established Member
A 4.3 is not an LS but it IS a 350 SBC missing two cylinders. I had a 97 Sonoma with the 4.3 Vortec and auto trans. It had some get up and go and never let me down, pulled any trailer that i had.

Users who are viewing this thread