Another C6 Z idle clip....

89BIRD

Established Member
Got my Z back from CMS - Stage 1 cam and had the valve guides done. Drives better than it did stock and has good power all the way through the rpm range. Can't wait to get it to the strip - enjoy.

[video=youtube_share;2zJrHGQuxCw]http://youtu.be/2zJrHGQuxCw[/video]

2011 gtcs

GT500 poster
Established Member
Premium Member
Sounds nice, it's amazing how much a cam wakes the LS7 up, and good call getting the valve guides fixed.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Valve guides are a liability in pushrods or just something that needs to be upgraded in the LS7?

Sounds GREAT!

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
Valve guides are a liability in pushrods or just something that needs to be upgraded in the LS7?

Sounds GREAT!

Some suspect the the geometry in the stock valvetrain is the cause for the valve guides wearing out prematurely but theres been no confirmed reason. But its fairly common for the exhaust valves to break off as a result of the bad guides and drop into the engine and wipe out the entire engine.

da5deuce

heatsoaked
Established Member
Some suspect the the geometry in the stock valvetrain is the cause for the valve guides wearing out prematurely but theres been no confirmed reason. But its fairly common for the exhaust valves to break off as a result of the bad guides and drop into the engine and wipe out the entire engine.
Damn all bad. Hopefully this new LT line of engines fixed that problem.

Co-brat

FNG
Established Member
It not just the the LS7, the same problem has been reported in some LS3s and LS9s, but not as prevailent as in the LS7. Having the heads valveguides replaced with either bronze or powder metal guides usually takes care if the problem. Its just stupid that GM wont publically recognize their short comings and issue a recall. If a car is brought in under warranty and found to be out of spec they just replace the heads with same unrevised heads.

Last edited:

R1Lello

Established Member
Seems mild - like mine but glad I didn't go too wild - mine drives good too. What's your idle at? I'm at 850

89BIRD

Established Member
Thanks!

Seems mild - like mine but glad I didn't go too wild - mine drives good too. What's your idle at? I'm at 850

Idle is around 800. Yeah, its a mild cam - similar to a Katech Torquer 116.

Z O SICK

Established Member
Sounds good! How "mild" size wise is the cam? I'm looking at maybe droping in a cam in my Z. My last C6Z had the Phantom cam it it drove pretty good.

89BIRD

Established Member
Sounds good! How "mild" size wise is the cam? I'm looking at maybe droping in a cam in my Z. My last C6Z had the Phantom cam it it drove pretty good.

CMS doesn't post their cam specs - but 22x-23x 11x 0 degrees of overlap is in the ball park, which is way milder than a Phantom.

Good luck with your choice.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Your Vette definitely sounds wicked. You should do an in-car video for us. :)

Z O SICK

Established Member
That's not bad at all. I might have to give CMS a call. If I do end up camming this Z, I want something on the smaller side this time aroud.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member

I wouldnt say common, its less common then a 03 having "the head tick" alot of pople say they were in early production as well and most ive seen have been 08s.

mrlrd1

Established Member
Some suspect the the geometry in the stock valvetrain is the cause for the valve guides wearing out prematurely but theres been no confirmed reason.

If geometry is the cause, bronze guides aren't the solution. Hell, they'll wear out quicker.

Users who are viewing this thread