Another C6 Z idle clip....

adidasUNT8

Established Member
Sounds good!

This makes me even more anxious to get mine back. Still waiting on a some parts to be delivered so we can complete the engine build and
Then this spinny thing will go on. Curious to see what the new exhaust note will be.
image_zps087fe2a5.jpg

AWDLS2

Established Member
I wouldnt say common, its less common then a 03 having "the head tick" alot of pople say they were in early production as well and most ive seen have been 08s.
It's pretty common and no year is better than the other. They have all had issues. My Z06 was a 06 and had worn guides and other issues. My zr1 also had worn guides

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
It's pretty common and no year is better than the other. They have all had issues. My Z06 was a 06 and had worn guides and other issues. My zr1 also had worn guides

If you look up the numbers its really not that common on dropprd valves Ive had 2 06s no issues and like I mentioned most that I have read/heard dropped valves were 08, never said one year was better then antother. Having a z06 that blew a motor due to a valve drop vs the amount of z06s on the road are low. Like when I had a first production 03 built in 02 and everyone here talking about the head tick issue, all the talk makes it seem common but it wasnt compared to the amout of Cobras out there.

Here you go this was from GM, also mention but not in this little post is most failurs came from poeple abusing the vehical.

LS7 Valve guide issue summary:
• Affects a small, number of '08, 09 ’10 and ’11 Z06’s
• GM discovered the condition through our cylinder head warranty data involving a very small percentage of our vehicles.
• Through inspection of returned heads, it was determined that a machining error in the valve guide had occurred at our head supplier.
• The quality issue has been contained as of Feb 2011 with 100% inspection of all heads.
• The most common customer complaint has been excessive valve train noise.

BayareaSS

Established Member
You've had 2 06's but both were low miles and you haven't had them very long or put many miles on them. That's not a good way to judge if the valves are an issue or not.

AWDLS2

Established Member
Your going to take GM word on the head issue? The company who hid the ignition switch issues? LOL
plus you know they said 08-11 because at that point 06-07 cars were out of warranty so if they said 06-07 fell under that they'd have to potentially come out of pocket to fix those if they had wear. And if u looked on the forum u would see very few people get their heads checked and come back in check. Call Abel and see how often that's happened

LS2GTO

Established Member
CMS doesn't post their cam specs - but 22x-23x 11x 0 degrees of overlap is in the ball park,

I suspect the cam is bigger than that, or with more overlap cuz that sounds pretty lopey for 800rpm with 0 overlap.

I have a cam with 2.5* overlap at 700rpm and it sounds nothing like that in terms of chop (which was expected and desired), but it makes me think that you might have more than just 0* of overlap.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
You've had 2 06's but both were low miles and you haven't had them very long or put many miles on them. That's not a good way to judge if the valves are an issue or not.

Of course your gona come in here to bust my balls LOL, ya low miles but usally on this issue on a dropped valve will happen sooner then later from what ive searching. My point here was it being "common"

Z O SICK

Established Member
Of course your gona come in here to bust my balls LOL, ya low miles but usally on this issue on a dropped valve will happen sooner then later from what ive searching. My point here was it being "common"

Not busting your balls but my 08 Z had issues a few months after I bought it so I replaced all the bad parts. If I remember correctly, I picked up my 08 when it had 22K on the clock. The valvetrain kept getting louder and louder so I used the warranty to fix the issues. My friends 06Z had warn out guides on his low mile (12K) Vette. WCCH said it was just a matter of time before something bad happend. Of course, you can ask some shops/dealerships and they say there are no issues. I just picked up an 06 Z with 19K on the clock a month ago and it "seems" like the valvetrain is getting louder and louder. Again, it could be me and it could not. Do I think there's an issue with every year, yes. Do I think GM "contained" the issue in 2011, no. A small number doesn't appear to be all that small imo. I also personally know of several C6Z's that have eaither droped a valve and caused a motor to blow or had warn out guides. Again, I'm not trying to argue or start anything but I hope you don't have any issues. That being said, I have a friend with a 13 C6Z and he doesn't have any isses. However, I don't even count him because He's put less than 3K on his car in the three years he's owned it lol. Hell, when I picked up my latest Z, I was hoping to be one of the luckly one's to not have any issues. As of right now, so far so good but if my car keeps getting louder, I'm fixing them. Again, not trying to bust your balls, just stating my experiences. I wish us both the best of luck when it comes to our heads/guides! Nice looking ride btw!

89BIRD

Established Member
I suspect the cam is bigger than that, or with more overlap cuz that sounds pretty lopey for 800rpm with 0 overlap.

I have a cam with 2.5* overlap at 700rpm and it sounds nothing like that in terms of chop (which was expected and desired), but it makes me think that you might have more than just 0* of overlap.

I have "a" or "the" cam spec sheet with the data and it states .4 degrees. I hear ya though. The car made 522 on a Mustang dyno (~560 comparable on a dyno jet), ported WCCH heads, LG 1 7/8 headers with cats, ported stock TB and intake - so it's not that big :). I know I left some HP on the table with the intake vs. going with the Fast. A ported Fast and NW TB made 566 on the same dyno, very similar cam. Lobes design plays a considerable factor.

707svt

Venom Feeder
Established Member
Not busting your balls but my 08 Z had issues a few months after I bought it so I replaced all the bad parts. If I remember correctly, I picked up my 08 when it had 22K on the clock. The valvetrain kept getting louder and louder so I used the warranty to fix the issues. My friends 06Z had warn out guides on his low mile (12K) Vette. WCCH said it was just a matter of time before something bad happend. Of course, you can ask some shops/dealerships and they say there are no issues. I just picked up an 06 Z with 19K on the clock a month ago and it "seems" like the valvetrain is getting louder and louder. Again, it could be me and it could not. Do I think there's an issue with every year, yes. Do I think GM "contained" the issue in 2011, no. A small number doesn't appear to be all that small imo. I also personally know of several C6Z's that have eaither droped a valve and caused a motor to blow or had warn out guides. Again, I'm not trying to argue or start anything but I hope you don't have any issues. That being said, I have a friend with a 13 C6Z and he doesn't have any isses. However, I don't even count him because He's put less than 3K on his car in the three years he's owned it lol. Hell, when I picked up my latest Z, I was hoping to be one of the luckly one's to not have any issues. As of right now, so far so good but if my car keeps getting louder, I'm fixing them. Again, not trying to bust your balls, just stating my experiences. I wish us both the best of luck when it comes to our heads/guides! Nice looking ride btw!

I hear what your saying and I know the problem is out there, I am evetually doing head work no matter what just hope its all good until then LOL and thanks for the complament to bad that blk one you see is totaled, have a red one now.

Z O SICK

Established Member
I hear what your saying and I know the problem is out there, I am evetually doing head work no matter what just hope its all good until then LOL and thanks for the complament to bad that blk one you see is totaled, have a red one now.

Sorry to hear about your black car! From the pic, it looked sexy!

Tony

89BIRD

Established Member
Your Vette definitely sounds wicked. You should do an in-car video for us. :)

Finally busted out the GoPro. External will have to do.

[video=youtube_share;ljP6C2FGxDA]http://youtu.be/ljP6C2FGxDA[/video]

95gts5oh

wat
Established Member
CMS doesn't post their cam specs - but 22x-23x 11x 0 degrees of overlap is in the ball park, which is way milder than a Phantom.

Good luck with your choice.

Thats odd, how are you suppose to degree the cam if you don't have any specs to go by?

Sounds great though!

Edit: Nevermind I see that they gave you a spec card but they just don't post specs for public knowledge. Gotcha.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread