Another 2011 Mustang Gt # 8 cylinder failure

01bluesnake

Established Member
not sure, have had this problem since the 4.6 line up but doesnt really affect stock vehicles which may be a reason they haven't changed it. The only reason you will start to see a problem comes from things being added that the increase combustion temps and that car wasn't designed to run around, IE every aftermarket part and tune.

Last edited:

1NA RUN

Established Member
C11B5CD1-0900-4AD1-9BD1-0EE7E2B92CD6-489-0000005AB6F62144.jpg

I'd rather play it safe, can't hurt installing one while the engine is out. Mine was just installed and it was a breeze since the motor was out.

2012 Boss 302

Established Member
Read first, then think about it, and then comment....

First, make this perfectly clear, I am not at all agreeing or disagreeing with MMR. They have done a lot of testing and research and they should be applauded for trying to fix what is obviously a problem.

My first question involves the picture I posted earlier. The area around Cylinder 8 obviously does not have the volume that Cylinders 5-7 have. Look at the coolant flow picture posted after mine. Painfully obvious that coolant flows through the block first, exits into the head, and returns to the radiator through the fitting at the front of the head. My question, is it not so much a lack of flow but slow flow?? This would cause the coolant around #8 to get superheated. Maybe??

Second question is going to involve some work on the reader's part. Google a picture of the right side head, aka the passenger's side head. Cylinder #4 also seems to lack the volume as cylinder #8 does on the other side. Question. Why is it only cylinder #8 having problems? If the heads do in fact have the same design wouldn't it make sense that 4 would be an issue as well??

Third question. We know cylinder 8 is an issue, let's just hypothetically throw in that cylinder 4 could also be a problem. By tying the two cylinders together, and not adressing the lack of volume between cylinder 8 and cylinders 5-7, wouldn't that just double the amount of hot water in cylinders 4 and 8 ??

Fourth and last question. Wouldn't it make more sense to maybe drill and tap the coolant passages on cylinders 4 and 8 and run a line to the front?

Thank you for your time. I am not an engineer of any sort. Just throwing some ideas on the table... :pop:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The best way to look at this mod is to forget coolant temps by themselves as they are not the most important part of the mod, the important part it is the computers inability to see the coolant temperature on the driver bank and more importantly # 8 (because there is only a temp sensor in the passenger side), by joining the banks the ECU indirectly samples the hotter side and can make better fuel and timing calculations based on this data. The Increased coolant flow around # 8 is the other side of this mod, by joining the banks we promote flow and this also helps prevent detonation.

VETTEHUNTER

No cure for this disease.
Established Member
Interesting argument we have here. I think it just boils down to yet another design flaw with cooling on Ford's part. I've said it before...I know its not the exact same problem the 03-04 Cobras had, but a similar problem with cooling all the same...One would think Ford would have learned a huge lesson after that mess with the heads overheating and warping valve guides on the 03-04's which ultimately lead to the "Tick" issue that a lot of those cars had...Myself included.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread