Another 2011 Mustang Gt # 8 cylinder failure

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
As many of you know MMR gets alot of 2011+ engines in for rebuild, most of them for the notorious #8 cylinder failure. This one just showed up and we thought we would share some pics of what is happening when they fail. The owner of this particular block sent it in for one of the MMR 1000HP forged rebuilds. This is another great reason to invest the small amount of money in the MMR head cooling mod to help protect against this.

coyo2.JPG

coyo1.JPG

coyo2.JPG

Humboldt1498

Established Member
The cooling mod sounds cool, but MMR has yet to produce any evidence that it works and/or is helpful. It could just as easily make the cooling system less efficient and make your engine more prone to blowing up.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
The cooling mod sounds cool, but MMR has yet to produce any evidence that it works and/or is helpful. It could just as easily make the cooling system less efficient and make your engine more prone to blowing up.

We have been very thorough in our testing, not a single engine with the MMR mod has failed the # 8 cylinder, for most this would be enough evidence, we have also provided detailed information on the cause and the reason this is a solution. Anyone that looks at the picture below can see why the # would run warmer, it has no water jacket surrounding the intake port. lastly this product was developed on the worlds fastest Coyote built by MMR which has produced over 2000HP, without this product we could not keep the # 8 EGT (exhaust gas temperature) from exceeding a safe level.

coyote%20head%20water%20jacket.jpg

There are two parts that this mod addresses , the first part it is the computers inability to see the coolant temperature on the driver bank and more importantly # 8 (because there is only a temp sensor in the passenger side), by joining the banks the ECU indirectly samples the hotter side and can make better fuel and timing calculations based on this data , the second part is by flowing water from the other side and moving the water around the cylinder we have been able to eliminate hot spots. Our own 2000hp+ coyote had excessive EGT's prior to the mod, after the mod our EGT's were all within 5 degrees! Your opinion to believe that it works or not is yours and we respect it, the fact is the problem is real, it is caused by temperature and the MMR product helps correct it. Here are some more posts from those that are using it:

We have installed this a couple cars in the last couple weeks and sent some over to our boys stationed over-seas. What we have noticed is that the cars ECT's have stayed cooler. Now we have not done any serious testing because the motors that they went in were all new built ones going through seating of the rings but we are looking forward too see the final result. So far, we trust this product very much and if your swapping out the motor, we deff recommend this mod!!

Just got my shorblock installed that I had built by BBR and shipped to me over here in Germany. BBR recommended this cooling mod since I have a blower setup. Literally took me no time at all to install. And once I got this installed I noticed that my ECT's have dropped a noticeable amount from my Aeroforce gauge by almost 10 degrees in traffic and noticed on my instrument cluster as well that it's cooler. This a great way to keep the engine cooler for less detonation and I would recommend this for any new Coyote 5.0's for some good insurance for your investment. Thanks BBR and MMR.

There are many more if you search

Last edited:

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
After all these years #8 is still shitting the bed.

The more things change, the more they stay the same. :burnout:

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Most of our customers have done it this way, with the intake manifold off it is quite simple. Simply tap the freeze plugs out and you are good to go, they can also be popped out or turned sideway with a prybar against the firewall using a piece of wood so that it does scratch the firewall paint. the picture below (engine out of the car for clarity) shows the basic procedure:

freeze%20plug%20remove.jpg

stang8psi

Established Member
again like said above! there has been no proven data that it does anything. Also one of the biggest shops in the 5.0 industry (Evolution) said it was not worth the hassle.

Jedisalami

Established Member
Lol no cars with the mod have killed a cylinder. Tens ofThousands of cars without the mod haven't killed a cylinder terrible statement to prove it

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
again like said above! there has been no proven data that it does anything. Also one of the biggest shops in the 5.0 industry (Evolution) said it was not worth the hassle.

Like we said , everyone is entitled to their opinion and we respect that. We have tested these engines far beyond anyone in the world and produced 800HP more than our closest competitor. If the company you mention would like to produce the data contrary to ours that the product does not work they are welcome to. Again, everyone, including other companies are entitled to their opinion and we respect that. :beer:

MMR

mmr%20coyote%201.jpg

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
AED says he's addresses this number. 8 issue with his tunes so it won't happen

Yes, this is 100% possible, by giving the cylinder more fuel and less timing it can help prevent it, the problem is that decreased timing and increased fuel hurts HP in that cylinder, but I think we can all agree that a little less HP is better than a damaged engine. With the MMR mod we have found the #8 cylinder does not require de-tuning to keep the detonation threshold higher, the improved coolant flow around the head and cylinder indirectly do the same thing.

Modular Racing

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
Lol no cars with the mod have killed a cylinder. Tens ofThousands of cars without the mod haven't killed a cylinder terrible statement to prove it

That statement was made in regards to a hypothetical statement made by another member that our mod could actually make the problem worse. For the most part, those that doubt the mod also doubt that the problem exists. The fact is this problem is real and it has been documented over and over since 2011 and proven in our own dyno testing using state of the art racepak data logging equipment.

86merc

Established Member
This kind of coolant "trick", for a lack of a better word, has been around since the 60s. Maybe earlier. They used to put crossovers on the rear coolant ports on the 289cid intakes. The coolant was slow to move in the back corners. It would actually boil the water, you would then have air where there should be water and it would cause hot spots. They did it in the 70s, 80, and 90s with the 302 motors and there are a couple 03/04 cobra motor kits that do the same type of thing.

No black magic stuff here guys. You guys can do some of your own research and seek out your own FACTS. Instead of harping on things based off ramblings from some guy, on some forum, with unfounded claims, said it is hog wash. MMR says they can show engine coolant temps lowered as well as EGT equalized across the motor. These are things you can measure and prove.

Now if you ask if this mod is worth it on the Coyote motor that is different. You can ask 10 different people if it is worth doing and get 10 different answers. Based on cost, effectiveness, ease of install, looks, changing the tune as a correction and so on. Worth is a subjective thing.

Last edited:

turd burglar

Established Member
While it seems like a legitimate idea, what happens if cylinder 8 nukes stock, cuz it has happened, and ya can't really reverse this mod easily. I guess unless you're tuned the risk isn't worth the reward

KidMoney

Established Member
What kind of data would be acceptable for people to agree it works? I feel like people are bashing it but I don't see why it wouldn't at least help. They never said install the part and you can run as much timing as you want in the cylinder. Now if someone could prove that it doesn't cool the cylinder or actually makes the problem worse, that's a different story.

KidMoney

Established Member
This kind of coolant "trick", for a lack of a better word, has been around since the 60s. Maybe earlier. They used to put crossovers on the rear coolant ports on the 289cid intakes. The coolant was slow to move in the back corners. It would actually boil the water, you would then have air where there should be water and it would cause hot spots. They did it in the 70s, 80, and 90s with the 302 motors and there are a couple 03/04 cobra motor kits that do the same type of thing.

No black magic stuff here guys. You guys can do some of your own research and seek out your own FACTS. Instead of harping on things based off ramblings from some guy, on some forum, with unfounded claims, said it is hog wash. MMR says they can show engine coolant temps lowered as well as EGT equalized across the motor. These are things you can measure and prove.

Now if you ask if this mod is worth it on the Coyote motor that is different. You can ask 10 different people if it is worth doing and get 10 different answers. Based on cost, effectiveness, ease of install, looks, changing the tune as a correction and so on. Worth is a subjective thing.
Exactly what I was thinking. Well said.

whatwhine

Established Member
I think it sounds like it should work. Y ford built this setup lacking coolant flow around a cylinder is beyond me. 03/04 cobras needed the same idea to help them along.
My question is, if I do this mod, something goes wrong down the road and I blow my motor up. Is ford gonna try to say this mod voids my power train?
Anyone who's seen my posts knows I'm not interested in losing my warranty anytime soon. But shit could break stock. Even If all I have is the mmr cooling mod, JLT oil sep and Roush mufflers will ford mess with me.....

Users who are viewing this thread