Amsoil signature series or Dominator?

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
UB, based on what you have seen, would you consider pennzoil ultra SN, 10w-30 an equivalent to the signature series of equal weight and viscosity?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Car will be driven in the summer and only driven on weekends,will be in storage in winter.

Amsoil ATM 10W-30

Please clarify year model of car/engine type for oil filter selection.

Also, you will only need to change the oil in this engine once a year, right when you put it into storage. In the spring, take the car for a long 1 hour drive to condition the oil for use all season long. Lather, rinse, repeat in the fall when storage time comes around again.

UB, based on what you have seen, would you consider pennzoil ultra SN, 10w-30 an equivalent to the signature series of equal weight and viscosity?

Not a 100% equal match, but right up there. You will not buy a better lubricant off the shelf. It even makes a fool of new base Royal Purple.

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
I think I may mix half signature series 10w-30 and half 10w-40 like I believe you suggested somewhere else. Is this still something you would see as a feasible option?

GotBoost?!

Established Member
Amsoil ATM 10W-30

Please clarify year model of car/engine type for oil filter selection.

Also, you will only need to change the oil in this engine once a year, right when you put it into storage. In the spring, take the car for a long 1 hour drive to condition the oil for use all season long. Lather, rinse, repeat in the fall when storage time comes around again.

Not a 100% equal match, but right up there. You will not buy a better lubricant off the shelf. It even makes a fool of new base Royal Purple.

1987 Mustang GT
302 motor

I've got Rotella 10w30 currently,while I'm trying to get the car up and running :rolling:

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
:thumbsup:

You have any thoughts on the Fram Ultra? I'm NOT a FRAM kinda guy,but was thinking about trying one :dw:

The top of the line Fram oil filters are acceptable. Fram used metal end caps and stronger parts compared to the cheap "orange" filters. It's the only Fram I'd ever use on anything I own.

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
Update .... Went with the 10w-30 signature series. Just got it changed today, we will see!

Also swapped out the transmission fluid to amsoil ATF. Instantly feel the difference. That fluid makes this transmission feel so much smoother it's awesome. Can't believe the factory fill wasn't something more like this.

kozumasbullitt

Established Member
Should I go with signature 10-30?
2011 gt500 650rwhp
Northern California, lows mid 40s highs mid 80s.
I drive the car on weekends only and year around if weather permits.
I plan on installing a 170 t stat and already have all of the other cooling mods.

Silver_Serpent

Established Member
I based my decision on the fact that even if you run the motorcraft 5w50 in your car, it is going to spend most of its life with a 13.0-ish cst at 100C viscosity oil in it. The amsoil 10w30 is only about 2.5 viscosity points lower than that, but maintains that viscosity thoughout the life cycle. Running the engine with a 170 thermostat, causing it to run about 20 degrees cooler. I figured this justified the 10w30 due to the fact that it will then run about the same viscosity as a sheared up motorcraft 5w50 at a hotter temp.
Conclusion ... engine runs cooler, but the oil inside is about the same viscosity as the oem oil would be at 20 degrees hotter.

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
170* thermostat - Amsoil ATM 10W-30 or Amsoil RD30

192* thermostat - Amsoil AMO 10W-40

ATM & AMO - Change the oil every 12 months, or 15,000 miles, whichever occur first.

RD30 - Change the oil every 6 months, or 5,000 miles, whichever occur first.

Filters

EaO11 - GT500

EaO17
- GT & Boss 302

Okay, my turn, please!!!

Drive maybe 2000-3000 miles a year, both in the hot summer months as well as once in a while in the winter in NY. I run nitrous every now and again. Car is not beaten on but is "used" as I feel it should be. I love the boost!!! What Amsoil do I use and who's filter? I am running a stock thermostat presently.:beer::beer::beer:

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Firemanmike,

What car are you wanting a recommendation for, and what mods.

My '03 Cobra. At last inventory on the mods (I don't know if they make an oil difference, but I'll try get them all):

K&N CAI
BILLETFLOW 2:93 PULLEY (NO SNUB IDLER; I RUN THE PULLEY CAGE)
METCO 2 LB LOWER
BILLETFLOW SB THEOTTLE BODY
SCT BA3000 MAF
NOS COBRA SPECIFIC NITROUS KIT (WET WITH 100 SHOT)
MSD WINDOW SWITCH (I FORGET EXACT SETTINGS, I THINK 3500 ON 6300 OFF)
TR6 PLUGS
40 AMP BAP
MAGNAFLOW CATTED X PIPE
MAGNAFLOW SS CAT BACK EXHAUST
3:73 GEARS
DYNO TUNE BY MUSTANG MAGIC
I left out stuff like full lenght subs, braces, etc... as I'm sure they won't matter!!! Oh, and stock (for the moment, just had a fan issue and she overheated, I want to change the T stat but don't know which way to go)

Hell, while I'm asking, what about a 100% stock '08 Vette???

Thanks!!!
:beer::beer::beer:

SuperMach1

Established Member
How about for me? My car is an 03 Mach 1

Mods:
Intercooled procharger w/ 8 psi
full exhaust
built auto
built rear
riesche 170 degree thermostat

The car is a weekend warrior and I put about 6-8k miles a year.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
My '03 Cobra. At last inventory on the mods (I don't know if they make an oil difference, but I'll try get them all):

K&N CAI
BILLETFLOW 2:93 PULLEY (NO SNUB IDLER; I RUN THE PULLEY CAGE)
METCO 2 LB LOWER
BILLETFLOW SB THEOTTLE BODY
SCT BA3000 MAF
NOS COBRA SPECIFIC NITROUS KIT (WET WITH 100 SHOT)
MSD WINDOW SWITCH (I FORGET EXACT SETTINGS, I THINK 3500 ON 6300 OFF)
TR6 PLUGS
40 AMP BAP
MAGNAFLOW CATTED X PIPE
MAGNAFLOW SS CAT BACK EXHAUST
3:73 GEARS
DYNO TUNE BY MUSTANG MAGIC
I left out stuff like full lenght subs, braces, etc... as I'm sure they won't matter!!! Oh, and stock (for the moment, just had a fan issue and she overheated, I want to change the T stat but don't know which way to go)

Hell, while I'm asking, what about a 100% stock '08 Vette???

Thanks!!!
:beer::beer::beer:

Terminator

Amsoil AZO 0W-30

Amsoil EaO11 oil filter

Corvette

Amsoil AZO 0W-30

Amsoil Ea15k50 oil filter

Same oil in both cars, only different oil filters. I chose 0W-30 to give you year round climate usage for both cars. This is the only 0W-30 lubricant that I haven't seen shear on a UOA report.

How about for me? My car is an 03 Mach 1

Mods:
Intercooled procharger w/ 8 psi
full exhaust
built auto
built rear
riesche 170 degree thermostat

Amsoil AZO 0W-30

Amsoil EaO11 oil filter

Since you have a cooler thermostat in your engine, it would not hurt to use AZO. This will help during winter months on cold start ups. AZO has returned excellent UOA reports in all 4.6L 4V engines tested in the 450 to 550 rwhp range.

Last edited:

SuperMach1

Established Member
Since you have a cooler thermostat in your engine, it would not hurt to use AZO. This will help during winter months on cold start ups. AZO has returned excellent UOA reports in all 4.6L 4V engines tested in the 450 to 550 rwhp range.

We don't really have cold winters here in San Antonio. It's always hot here in Texas.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
We don't have cold winters in Northwest Florida either. It may drop below freezing 2-4 weeks out of the year. You can use ATM 10W-30 as well. Either choice will yield better results than anything you buy off the shelf. Both lubricants are exactly the same viscosity at operating temperatures. The only difference is, AZO doesn't thicken as much as ATM as it cools.

Users who are viewing this thread