FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
Terminator

Amsoil AZO 0W-30

Amsoil EaO11 oil filter

Corvette

Amsoil AZO 0W-30

Amsoil Ea15k50 oil filter

Same oil in both cars, only different oil filters. I chose 0W-30 to give you year round climate usage for both cars. This is the only 0W-30 lubricant that I haven't seen shear on a UOA report.

Amsoil AZO 0W-30

Amsoil EaO11 oil filter

Since you have a cooler thermostat in your engine, it would not hurt to use AZO. This will help during winter months on cold start ups. AZO has returned excellent UOA reports in all 4.6L 4V engines tested in the 450 to 550 rwhp range.

Unleashed, thanks for the advice!!!:beer::beer::beer:

Quick question; should I go to a 170* T stat, am I still using the same oil? Also, is this the Signature or Dominator seriues I am looking to get???

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Unleashed, thanks for the advice!!!:beer::beer::beer:

Quick question; should I go to a 170* T stat, am I still using the same oil? Also, is this the Signature or Dominator seriues I am looking to get???

You are welcome. AZO is Signature Series.

You can run the same lubricant with the cooler stat.

Beast can't find my correspondence with you on this matter. So I'll ask here.

That 10W-30 Dominator series oil intrigues me. Saw that you recommended a 5k oil change interval.

Also know that in the past, you are firm believer of 10W-30 SS in temps 32F and above, of which I run.

But I remember that you indicated on here somewhere that a guy you know, driving an Evo, switched to 10W-30 Amsoil Dominator, and even saw a significant improvement in mpg.

I apologize for the redundant questions...so what say you about 10W-30 Dominator in a daily driven ported 03 Cobra with about 515 to the tire, driven aggressively on the street? I put a lot of miles on my Cobra but I give it a good amount of abuse.

In 32F and above temps would you go 10W-30 SS or 10W-30 Dominator oil with 5k oil change intervals? Btw, I don't run cats anymore, if that's even a variable to consider at this point.

Thank you my friend
Rob

Rob, are you ready to change the oil in your car every six months? I think you are running Signature Series all year, right?

Yes I am running it all year round. 6 month change doesn't sound so bad as long as this Dominator oil would be considered an upgrade over the 10W-30.

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Yes I am running it all year round. 6 month change doesn't sound so bad as long as this Dominator oil would be considered an upgrade over the 10W-30.

Dominator does have a more aggressive anti-wear package, however, depending on the application, may not be an improvement in protection.

Signature Series is superior to anything you can buy off the shelf. That being said, Dominator is used for cars that are crazy power monsters with oil temperatures in the sump that remain above 240*F most of the time. Is it OK to use in a lesser car with no cats, sure. Is it required, not always.

Give it a try, let me know what you think. You may find that a once a year oil change with Signature Series is still good enough for your application. Obviously, a UOA will help with guidance.

Dominator does have a more aggressive anti-wear package, however, depending on the application, may not be an improvement in protection.

Signature Series is superior to anything you can buy off the shelf. That being said, Dominator is used for cars that are crazy power monsters with oil temperatures in the sump that remain above 240*F most of the time. Is it OK to use in a lesser car with no cats, sure. Is it required, not always.

Give it a try, let me know what you think. You may find that a once a year oil change with Signature Series is still good enough for your application. Obviously, a UOA will help with guidance.

Thanks for the guidance Troy. I think a UOA is in order for the Dominator oil. What should the oil change interval be on that oil? 5k or 7k?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Want to know how potent Amsoil AZO is? (formerly called SSO) Check out this UOA while reading the Cadillac CTS-V explanation of its use.

CTS-VUOA_zpsbebcbe42.jpg

uoa_cts4_zpsd9629961.jpg

vfast

Established Member

stang8psi

Established Member
unleashed.
how about a 2011 5.0 with a 11.5:1 built motor billet oil pump gears full bolt on N/A car with a small 125-150 shot and a rev range up to 8200 rpm running e85? I Also live in de so we see a full range of weather 20-30's winter and 80-90's in summer. I drive my car 5000 miles or less a year and I will track it some days.. I was thinking ss 5w30-10w30?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
unleashed.
how about a 2011 5.0 with a 11.5:1 built motor billet oil pump gears full bolt on N/A car with a small 125-150 shot and a rev range up to 8200 rpm running e85? I Also live in de so we see a full range of weather 20-30's winter and 80-90's in summer. I drive my car 5000 miles or less a year and I will track it some days.. I was thinking ss 5w30-10w30?

because race car? :rockon:

Amsoil RD30

Amsoil EaO17

Beast...I can't find the thread but I was thinking about what you previously said...while taking a spirited drive on my Amsoil 0W-30 SS today...

You indicated in a previous thread, which I can't locate at the moment, that you recommended the Amsoil Dominator 10W-30 oil to a an Evo guy with a car that I think was in the 500hp range.

I don't remember if you indicated that he reported to you that he saw a 1.0 - 1.5mpg increase while using this oil or even a slight increase in hp.

Again, I'm going from my vague recollection of your post so my facts may be skewed.

So why would this 'racing oil' produce results like that? What I mean is...what exactly is in this oil formulation that could produce that...apart from the SS line that Amsoil runs?

I will use the Amsoil Dominator 10W-30 when spring comes to see what I personally observe if anything. Just curious what insight you have on this specific oil.

Thank you

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
Dominator used in his EVO is an aggressive additive package for anti-wear, and that's all. Signature Series does an outstanding job anyway, so honestly.....I'd reserve Dominator for serous powered cars that are constantly ran WOT.

i.e. car raced frequently

The base oil is pure, as any true synthetic is. Dominator and Signature are both known to reduce internal engine friction, which is what increases efficiency.

Last edited:
Dominator used in his EVO is an aggressive additive package for anti-wear, and that's all. Signature Series does an outstanding job anyway, so honestly.....I'd reserve Dominator for serous powered cars that are constantly ran WOT.

i.e. car raced frequently

The base oil is pure, as any true synthetic is. Dominator and Signature are both known to reduce internal engine friction, which is what increases efficiency.

Got it. You've completely talked me out of running this oil vs. the 10W-30 SS. I appreciate your honesty man. :beer:

Users who are viewing this thread