Aluminator information needed.

poof100

Established Member
^^^^better then a factory stock motor that has the weaker rods and pistons...

I'd be curious to hear how the Aluminator Pistons/Rods compare to the Boss shortblock Pistons/Rods. I'm guessing the Aluminator rods are better but just my opinion.

D.T.R

Established Member
oh gotcha. I thought you meant it was better than the internals in the 9.5:1 motor haha

D.T.R

Established Member
I'd be curious to hear how the Aluminator Pistons/Rods compare to the Boss shortblock Pistons/Rods. I'm guessing the Aluminator rods are better but just my opinion.

There are a couple of aluminators making over 1000whp, not sure if stock bosses have made that, but if they have... i'm pretty sure they'd be on borrowed time. The same thing thing can't be said about the aluminator. It should hold 1000whp just fine.

poof100

Established Member
There are a couple of aluminators making over 1000whp, not sure if stock bosses have made that, but if they have... i'm pretty sure they'd be on borrowed time. The same thing thing can't be said about the aluminator. It should hold 1000whp just fine.

I don't think there are many bosses like you said, but I'd disagree that the Aluminator is going to hold 1000rwhp reliably. I'm sure it's being done and there are cars out there, but like anything else there are always cases where they hold up and those that blow up.

manolith

I Wanna go fast.
Established Member
^ We can then agree to disagree.

He's right. The aluminator is very strong but not strong enough to reliably handle 1000rwhp. Even the sportsman block is having issues a bit north of that horse power range. You can have a 1000rwhp aluminator as a dyno queen without any issues though.

D.T.R

Established Member
I'm just not sure how you guys determine that without any facts of people "popping" aluminators ? or you do have facts of this?

UnleashedBeast

Engine Lubrication Guru
Established Member
I was told by a very reliable source that Jon Lund and team tore up an Aluminator in the 1200 rwhp range. This was in the twin turbo car that KenB built.

I want to say there was something experimental about this engine that isn't available on standard issued Aluminators, but I do not recall the details.

poof100

Established Member
I was told by a very reliable source that Jon Lund and team tore up an Aluminator in the 1200 rwhp range. This was in the twin turbo car that KenB built.

I want to say there was something experimental about this engine that isn't available on standard issued Aluminators, but I do not recall the details.

I'm guessing they had the sportsman block from what I "heard".

Aluminator > Boss

Built Motor >>>> Aluminator.

Basically all the Aluminator has over a Boss is better H beam rods and "maybe" better pistons (oil pump gears if you get the 9.5 version). I looked at the specs and don't see Main studs, head studs, billet rods etc.

D.T.R

Established Member
I'm guessing they had the sportsman block from what I "heard".

Basically all the Aluminator has over a Boss is better H beam rods and "maybe" better pistons (oil pump gears if you get the 9.5 version). I looked at the specs and don't see Main studs, head studs, billet rods etc.

Why would you want billet rods when the block itself is not reliable above 1000whp ? :dw:

H-beam rods will support over 150whp per rod, i don't see why there would be a need for billet rods. Also, have we seen people with aluminator motors lifting heads, blowing headgaskets or having problems with head and main bolts?

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member

I agree. I said it before, if I had an excessive surplus of cash I would have an L&M Tornado block setup. For 7500 bucks cam cover to oil pan, the Aluminator is a good option. Aluminator has ARP rod bolts, thats it. I haven't seen any inadequacies in the main bolts or head bolts up to this point.

D.T.R

Established Member
I agree. I said it before, if I had an excessive surplus of cash I would have an L&M Tornado block setup. For 7500 bucks cam cover to oil pan, the Aluminator is a good option. Aluminator has ARP rod bolts, thats it. I haven't seen any inadequacies in the main bolts or head bolts up to this point.

I'm there with you.
I'm not saying the aluminator is the pinneacle of 5.0 motors...
but up to 1000whp, and for a complete turn-key, that you don't need to wrench on, disassemble & reassemble, it's the best bang for the buck.

poof100

Established Member
Why would you want billet rods when the block itself is not reliable above 1000whp ? :dw:

H-beam rods will support over 150whp per rod, i don't see why there would be a need for billet rods. Also, have we seen people with aluminator motors lifting heads, blowing headgaskets or having problems with head and main bolts?

There are a few modifications/fixes out there that can take the block over 1000hp. If I'm building a motor right the first time, I'm putting billet rods, but like you said, that power level requires block modifications.

I think we are still in the early stages of the 5.0 modifications, but running head and main studs is always wise on High HP motors, be it a 5.0, 4.6/5.4 etc. The 4.6/5.4s didn't start pushing gaskets until high HP levels.

I agree as a complete package, the Aluminator is a good solution, but it's basically a Boss motor with better rods. I see the Aluminator uses the Mahle forged piston, probably the same as the Boss Mahle piston.

I don't think I'd ever trust a TTY bolt at the high hp levels like some of us want to make. As I said before, a lot of cars are having success with them, but that's not to say we won't see failures.

D.T.R

Established Member
There are a few modifications/fixes out there that can take the block over 1000hp. If I'm building a motor right the first time, I'm putting billet rods, but like you said, that power level requires block modifications.

I think we are still in the early stages of the 5.0 modifications, but running head and main studs is always wise on High HP motors, be it a 5.0, 4.6/5.4 etc. The 4.6/5.4s didn't start pushing gaskets until high HP levels.

I agree as a complete package, the Aluminator is a good solution, but it's basically a Boss motor with better rods. I see the Aluminator uses the Mahle forged piston, probably the same as the Boss Mahle piston.

I don't think I'd ever trust a TTY bolt at the high hp levels like some of us want to make. As I said before, a lot of cars are having success with them, but that's not to say we won't see failures.

if you read the aluminator descrition, it says "forged mahle pistons with xxxxxx coating"
are the boss302 pistons trully forged? We know they have some type of coating, but is the metal in them trully forged?
also how much is a boss 302 turn-key longblock?

you don't trust any TTY bolt eh... then you wouldn't trust a boss302 motor at all, right?

Last edited:

SC2011GT

Til' The Wheels Fall Off
Established Member

I trust them.

poof100

Established Member
if you read the aluminator descrition, it says "forged mahle pistons with xxxxxx coating"
are the boss302 pistons trully forged? We know they have some type of coating, but is the metal in them trully forged?
also how much is a boss 302 turn-key longblock?

you don't trust any TTY bolt eh... then you wouldn't trust a boss302 motor at all, right?

I said I don't trust them at 1000rwhp. The Boss piston is a Mahle Forged piston. Not sure if they have the same coating, I guess I will find out when I put a new shortblock in. A turn key boss motor isn't cheap, but that's not the point here. Just like you like the Aluminator turn key, I like my Boss motor as a starting point for my Turbo build, much better than a standard 5.0. But we all know you can only go so far before a built motor goes in. Good luck with the Aluminator!
I trust them.

Sweet, I'm glad!!:rollseyes

Last edited:

stang8psi

Established Member
Eh I wrench and build my own motors so I know mine will out perform and out handle the aluminator any day of the week .. all info how to build these motors is available online (torque specs) and ring gaps to user specs but other than that pretty simple .. and best thing is I could build two short blocks for customers for what the aluminator costs..

Users who are viewing this thread