ALL MOTOR BOLT-ON & TUNED Motor failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

darreng505

Established Member
You misread my position... I completely agree with the fact that no matter what the cause is, that cause should take the blame... whether it be a part failure or a tune issue. It's funny you tell me to step back until the facts are known...lol That was my whole position. The title insinuated it was AED's fault. That was my whole point. Putting AED Tuned in the title insinuates it was AED's fault. Like Shaun said, did he put "47lb injector engine blown", or "boss manifold engine blown", nope. Seems like the other guys understood my point.

Other than the title, I consider this one of the better described description of events!

I got ya now. ;)

Yagermeister

Established Member
First, sorry for the blown motor. Second, I'm not going to go out on a limb and try to troubleshoot until you scope the engine and see what actually happened. Third, I am leaning toward the need to change the title to "2012 Mustang GT ~ While track testing multiple times on an unfinished AED tune (my choice not Shaun's), I blew my motor and am looking for help diagnosing what happened"

I truly do hope for the best outcome for you and hope you get back to racing soon!

Last edited:

bam2012@TBR

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
OP, sucks to hear what happened. Too late now, but data logging is way too important to not do before taking your car out for hard runs.

Find your issue and build it back stronger, pay to play is always the name of the game. Too many variables to come up with the cause until the teardown, following this thread for updates.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
OP, sucks to hear what happened. Too late now, but data logging is way too important to not do before taking your car out for hard runs.

Find your issue and build it back stronger, pay to play is always the name of the game. Too many variables to come up with the cause until the teardown, following this thread for updates.

Thank You sir

...and just to let EVERYONE know, I did submit the request to change the title to "ALL MOTOR BOLT-ON & TUNED Motor failure" ...still have not seen any change from the admin's. Thanks

Last edited:

hitmix300

Established Member
what a read. sorry to hear what happened with your motor man. that's rough but we're all gambling here. let us know what you find out! i'm really eager to hear so I become more knowledgeable and avoid errors/mistakes.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Thank You sir

...and just to let EVERYONE know, I did submit the request to change the title to "ALL MOTOR BOLT-ON & TUNED Motor failure" ...still have not seen any change from the admin's. Thanks

Per your request, I have changed the title. I have cleaned up some of the back and forth banter but not going to go back through pages at this point.

Thread has been opened again for updates and discussion.

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Per your request, I have changed the title. I have cleaned up some of the back and forth banter but not going to go back through pages at this point.

Thread has been opened again for updates and discussion.

Thank You kind Sir. And right or wrong, I apologize to the community, minus the few. More to come this week and I have been keeping in contact and communication with Shaun.

Nuar

Established Member
Any idea when you will hear something about the motor?
How is the teardown going?

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Any idea when you will hear something about the motor?
How is the teardown going?

Not as of yet. Colin returns to the shop from Fireman Duty tomorrow. Sometime after tomorrow he will start.

Joey8

Established Member
OP sorry about the motor. A catastrophic wreck is not fun at all. However, its a good excuse to build it up stronger then ever and throw some boost at it =)

Anyways, i'd figure id share my reasons why I switch from a big name tuner to AED .

1) His reputation. I hear nothing but good things about Shaun. He took the time out to explain how HIS process works before i sent him a penny.

2) His speedy responses. During normal business hours and even after hours he got back to me within the 1/2 hour if not within a few minutes. He answered all my questions respectfully and politely.

3) He actually DEMANDS logs. I no more and more tuners are not willing look at logs but some just say (like my last tuner) my tunes are spot on there is no need to log. Now im not going to act like i no everything about cars because i certainly don't but common sense tells me if you tune a car 3,500 miles away its not going to be the same where i live. Altitude, gas, engine varianeces etc etc all play a factor. Shaun looked at everyone of my logs even when he sent me the final tune. I wanted to make sure after a few 1/4 mile passes everything was in place and he verified that. His tune was spot on after his revisions my driving and shifting .. well not so much.

69camaro...

Established Member
Every single time a problem arises on this forum, a select few chime in to actually try and help and the rest start nut swinging about tunes. No one Cares. This isn't even a forum about technical info anymore, its just about vendors bashing each other and selling parts/tunes. Good luck OP and on your future build, we have all been there

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Every single time a problem arises on this forum, a select few chime in to actually try and help and the rest start nut swinging about tunes. No one Cares. This isn't even a forum about technical info anymore, its just about vendors bashing each other and selling parts/tunes. Good luck OP and on your future build, we have all been there

Yep, agree. Thanks 69camaro, I do have quite the road ahead of me. Day 1 starts Thurs. of tear down to evaluate the chaos that is hidden within. lol! I am still glad I can laugh at this point w/o crying...

Last edited:

3Dglasses

4.6 Liter rice cooker
Established Member
Good luck with the tear down. LMK if I can help with anything. Fingers crossed...

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Good luck with the tear down. LMK if I can help with anything. Fingers crossed...

Thanks dude. Yeah, tell me about it "fingers crossed". I am expecting the worse but hoping for the best and praying the block isn't too bad, although that piston tells me (and all of us) different. Waiting on the outcome but have several avenues and options open. Just all depends which makes more sense then dollars.

Shaun@AED

Update on my side:
The tune file was dumped off the Xcal and SCT converted it / sent it to me for review.
The tune on the Xcal that is currently loaded onto the vehicle is the CORRECT E85 tune. I see no issues with the tune file.
It's the same E85 tune changes we've been running for years with only 2 degrees ignition timing added over the Gasoline tunes I have data logs from. (26.5 peak commanded + 2 degrees for E85 Base tune + knock sensors able to add another 2 if there is no knock detected)

Last edited:

hendo

Established Member
Just a heads up, my 8k mile 2014 just had a fuel pump failure last week. I ran an e85 tune for about 5 tanks at around 4k miles and have been on 93 since.

Last edited:

JayVee

REAL is Rare
Established Member
Update on my side:
The tune file was dumped off the Xcal and SCT converted it / sent it to me for review.
The tune on the Xcal that is currently loaded onto the vehicle is the CORRECT E85 tune. I see no issues with the tune file.
It's the same E85 tune changes we've been running for years with only 2 degrees ignition timing added over the Gasoline tunes I have data logs from. (26.5 peak commanded + 2 degrees for E85 Base tune + knock sensors able to add another 2 if there is no knock detected)

Perfect. Glad we got that squared away this afternoon. Talk to ya soon :)

darreng505

Established Member
Update on my side:

I dont think timing can be generalized across motors, which are like snowflakes. Some motors can handle two degrees. Some cant (or for long) - although rare.

Is there usually _extensive_ data logging AFTER a tune is installed to determine how unique a motor handles a "boiler plate" tune?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread