Airplane Etiquette

nickf2005

Established Member
Flying international takes the flight experience to a whole new level... and not in a good way.

I've done 2 trips to China. Longest leg was 14-15 hours and that makes you want to kiss the ground when you step into the terminal. In addition, between my 6'3 frame and sleeping capabilities, I'm lucky to sleep an hour during a 32 hour (house to hotel) trip. I don't do sleeping pills and I'm ready to put up with nothing.

One trip, I had a Chinese man basically doing Yoga in the aisle between us. Dude, I get that it's a long flight and you gotta stretch your legs. However, that gives you ZERO reason to stick you butt in my face as I'm trying to watch a movie.

The Chinese are the WORST about getting up, gathering luggage, and trying to exit out of turn. No regards for personal space whatsoever. I just use my physical size and block their way. They get timid when a biga$$ American stands in the way and gives them a nasty look. :)

No joke, it was my first flight to China before I ever tried to drop a deuce in a plane. What a terrible experience. Domestically, I'll plan those bowel movements out. I can't control them for 14 hours though.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
Just my personal opinion, but I hate people who recline their seat. Oh, you want to give yourself 3 more inches while thus taking 3 inches away from me? I don't think any of the cheap seats should recline at all.

I fly Spirit occasionally in the summer (cattle car in the sky), and their new seats are essentially a molded composite racing seat with cheap leather stretched around it. No adjustment at all.

hunterp

Established Member
Just my personal opinion, but I hate people who recline their seat. Oh, you want to give yourself 3 more inches while thus taking 3 inches away from me? I don't think any of the cheap seats should recline at all.

I hear you. I'm 6'5" and I either now fly first class or pay extra for exit rows or Delta's Economy Comfort or whatever it's called so that someone doesn't crack my kneecaps jamming their seat back into my knees.

MFE

Established Member

Tough shit. Try being 6-3 and sitting in those glorified protestant church pews. A few degrees makes a huge difference.

Zemedici

Established Member
I'm 6'1 and dont give a shit if someone reclines their seat in front of me.....its a whopping 6 inches, not gonna make or break someone. Come on guys stop crying. Just recline your seat away from said person, whambam more space.

Seat switching isnt a big deal if they get the hint the first time they ask.

Crying babies? no thank you...

Rare40th

Established Member
- when they do loading sequence, FOLLOW YOUR ZONE, don't cut in ahead of your zoning group
- don't be cheap and pay for baggage. If you try that crap of bringing twice the amount of luggage to carry on or hope to be lucky and they take your bag and not pay any fee's then ***** YOU! I wish airlines would be more strict on this.
- If you sit at a window, be courteous to ask others if they want the window open or not.
- The armrests are for each passenger, figure out how to share them sitting a certain way.
- Listen to the flight attendants..... your phone isn't that important along with any other communication device. You've had 2+ hours to let people know you're leaving...
- No I or anyone else will not switch seats with you. In the event of an emergency or crash there's a reason why you pay for a seat and are given a certain seat. So when they're picking up the pieces they know who was sitting where......
- Be courteous of people in their seats when walking down an aisle, my god people you have enough room to get by without being a bulldozer.
- When the plane lands and reaches the gate, if you're sitting in seat 25A and your bag is overhead of row 19, do not rush up there and think you have priority to get your crap out because you chose to set your bag way up there instead of the empty space above you or under your seat.
- Also phone calls, texts, emails and such can wait the 7 minutes it takes to get off the plane instead of trying to accomplish it while holding up everyone behind you.
- Teach your kids how to 1) not kick the seat in front of them 2) proper unlocking and setting down of the food trays
- when listening to music, keep it an appropriate level...most of us don't want to suffer through whatever garbage it is you're listening to.

I think this covers most of it. I'm sure I'll find other things that nag the hell out of me

Last edited by a moderator:

Need 04 Wine

Meanest CDN on SVTP
Established Member
Well ya can of worms really.

So now my biggest is the line hoppers.
I got kids now and well kids suck for travelling, strollers car seats etc all required and have to be checked at air plane door.
There is a reason we get called ahead of time, well it just takes extra time to get the kid out fold the stroller, move it the side make sure the tag stayed on it herd the kids on plane backhand them into a seat move shit around 4 times till you find a spot for it to all fit.

Lets say the last time we went we were standing away from the gate with the kids, b/c they are kids and noisy, so not to disturb anyone and let them burn some damn energy. they call for boarding cant re-call which was first, anyway call for kids. so we TRY to get to the gate cant because all of the passengers have Tetrised themselves in there. So I start almost screaming "MOVE NOW PLEASE we have kids" ....nothing **** it, push it is...

Get to the gate but they already called a zone to board so now we got a regular old shit show going down, kids every direction people pushing them out the way, big mistake he almost got thrown out the door to ground crew.
people trying to push me out of way in isle as im getting kids set down bags put away etc...

When they call kids first, its for a reason, piss of and wait for 10 minutes, kids are like dogs they can sense you getting upset and act accordingly. You want my kid to be calm, you should help the parent be calm.

I ended up telling 5 people to get ****ed that day, should have been more, the return flight however no issues what so ever

BDF8

UF Alum. GO GATORS
Established Member
Tough shit. Try being 6-3 and sitting in those glorified protestant church pews. A few degrees makes a huge difference.

I’m with this guy. If they offer a reclining seat it’s yours to recline.

I had a woman FREAK OUT on me for not switching my first class seat so her husband could sit next to her. HER HUSBAND WAS IN MAIN CABIN.

Shifty Powers

The Shifty Mobile
Established Member
I’m with this guy. If they offer a reclining seat it’s yours to recline.

I had a woman FREAK OUT on me for not switching my first class seat so her husband could sit next to her. HER HUSBAND WAS IN MAIN CABIN.

Sounds like he took proper measures to get away from her lol

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
I'm 6'1 and dont give a shit if someone reclines their seat in front of me.....its a whopping 6 inches, not gonna make or break someone. Come on guys stop crying. Just recline your seat away from said person, whambam more space.

Seat switching isnt a big deal if they get the hint the first time they ask.

Crying babies? no thank you...

Only find the reclining annoying when I'm working on a laptop. Makes it next to impossible to use the tray/laptop when the person in front reclines all the way back. The angle between the tray and the reclined seat sucks.

I just try to fly on JetBlue and avoid the rest

MFE

Established Member

I was on a flight once that got diverted because of thunderstorms. We're sitting on the tarmac at the other airport and there's a woman freaking out about the lightning outside. She was asking to change seats because she was "uncomfortable", specifically First Class would make her more comfortable.

The storm that caused the diversion was moving from our original destination toward where we were sitting, and we had a short window to depart before they arrived, but the pilots were reluctant to because they were afraid this woman was going to freak.

Every time lightning flashed outside she'd wimper and cower. Finally the guy two seats over reaches across and slams the shade closed, and said "See? No more lightning! Now shut up, and let's get going".

Last edited:

nofire

Sooner#65
Established Member
Man, I fly all the time for work and my absolute biggest pet peeve is crying kids. I truly wish airlines wouldn't allow lap children. That would really help the cause.

That being said, I'm a big boy (physically) so I don't really sit in main cabin anymore. I don't like being squished like that.

colin450

Established Member
I'm 6'5 and usually go for the exit row if it's available. I hate when people put their seat back because the food tray usually ends up crushing my knee somehow. I'm also not under the assumption that people shouldn't use the recliner. I personally don't use it unless the person in front of me does.

If someone ever asked me to switch with them into a middle seat I would quite literally laugh in their face.

Revvv

Infinity Poster
Established Member
Do I want a 4 hour flight complete with delays, people layovers, and TSA, or an 18 hour drive?

I'm driving, or riding with someone that is.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

nickf2005

Established Member
Man, I fly all the time for work and my absolute biggest pet peeve is crying kids. I truly wish airlines wouldn't allow lap children. That would really help the cause.

That being said, I'm a big boy (physically) so I don't really sit in main cabin anymore. I don't like being squished like that.
So families with young kids that may cry should be banned from flying?

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread