Airaid no-tune CAI tested on my 13' Boss for 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords magazine..

Fiveliterfox

Established Member
Airaid no-tune CAI tested on my 13' Boss for 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords mag...

The MAF sleeve was used in the CAI.

A/F was logged and stayed the same between the stock and Airaid CAI. Didn't lean it out. Look at the dyno sheet I posted. A/F is identical between both.

Last edited:

RTD

Established Member
I guess I must be missing something because if you're using the sleeve it's restricting the MAF tube down to the stock diameter. Where are the gains coming from then?

Voltwings

Established Member
I guess I must be missing something because if you're using the sleeve it's restricting the MAF tube down to the stock diameter. Where are the gains coming from then?

The physics of the design is what you're missing. A basic explanation is that the Open element filter + clever engineering in the inlet tube allow the engines vacuum to pull more air in. Besides, its been proven the factory intake (and therefore MAF diameter) are hardly "restrictive" to begin with.

gs462

Established Member
SO you saw 13-17 HP with just the swap of the CAI, nothing else?? were all runs performed on the same days??

Fiveliterfox

Established Member
Yes. All runs on same day, same car, same conditions, same dyno.

No magical smoke and mirrors here guys. No hidden secrets. It made what it made and that's it.

Jabooh1

Established Member
So is there any benifits to the carbon fiber CAI performance wise? Being $200 more just making sure the regular is just as good.

senderofan

Established Member
The CF is purely aesthetics. Regular plastic will perform the same.

This is Not the information I received from Shaun at AED. He in fact had to adjust my base tune because I had the plastic version and not the CF.

This is a quote from him when I asked about the difference between the two...I posed the question just a week ago:

"The PJ edition is what I ran on my own Coyote and IMO there is no better CAI on the market, but your tunes have already been finalized for the plastic version."

So, evidently there is a significant difference between the plastic and CF units. This was a total surprise to me.

Wayne

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
There would be no difference between plastic and carbon fiber unless the Diameter is different requiring a different MAF curve. Neither plastic nor carbon fiber really heat soak, so the characteristics of the two would be very similar.

Fiveliterfox

Established Member
There would be no difference between plastic and carbon fiber unless the Diameter is different requiring a different MAF curve. Neither plastic nor carbon fiber really heat soak, so the characteristics of the two would be very similar.

Yep. That's the logic I was using.

The CF CAI is Boss-specific. Maybe Shaun was referring to a plastic GT CAI vs a CF Boss version? That would explain the difference.

senderofan

Established Member
My thinking is the shape or size of the intake must be different. Shaun informed me that my datalog demonstrated that I was running extra rich due to the fact that I have the plastic version versus the PJ CF unit. He sent me tunes for a cf cai. This leads me to believe that the CF version has a higher cfm when compared to the plastic. Not trying to pee in anyone's wheaties....just sharing what I have recently learned about the two different cai's offered by Airaid....according to a very well respected tuner. My biggest regret was waiting too long to purchase a cf unit......and then finding out they were on indefinite back order. Finally, as luck would have it, the backorder seems to have lifted once I started to tune my vehicle.

I'm very certain the plastic version is a positive upgrade versus the oem unit. If one can swing the CF unit....I think that would be the ultimate Airaid to have.

Wayne

senderofan

Established Member
The plastic version has extra holes....one specifically for a line that the automatics use. So...I think there is truth that the plastic version can be used for a GT and / or a Boss. The PJ cf unit is for the Boss intake....and obviously could bot be used with an automatic. I purchased my specific plastic intake after cross referencing with the Airaid website.

Wayne

Rdrcr

Established Member
Dyno'd the Airaid CAI yesterday.

My '13 GT is completely stock with the exception the SW catback exhaust and Airaid CAI (stock tune).

On the stock tune, the Airaid CAI made an additional 8whp and 5wtq...in 4th gear. We had to do 4th gear pulls since that was the gear the baseline was set at. Had we been able to do back-to-back 5th gear pulls, I believe the gains would have been more and closer to the manufacture's claims.

I couldn't 'feel' the gains but, I am impressed that on the stock tune, the Airaid CAI made power.

Mike

_Snake_

Established Member
Shaun informed me that my datalog demonstrated that I was running extra rich due to the fact that I have the plastic version versus the PJ CF unit.

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. On the surface, it just sounds like an excuse for sending you the wrong tune.

Voltwings

Established Member
My thinking is the shape or size of the intake must be different. Shaun informed me that my datalog demonstrated that I was running extra rich due to the fact that I have the plastic version versus the PJ CF unit. He sent me tunes for a cf cai. This leads me to believe that the CF version has a higher cfm when compared to the plastic. Not trying to pee in anyone's wheaties....just sharing what I have recently learned about the two different cai's offered by Airaid....according to a very well respected tuner. My biggest regret was waiting too long to purchase a cf unit......and then finding out they were on indefinite back order. Finally, as luck would have it, the backorder seems to have lifted once I started to tune my vehicle.

I'm very certain the plastic version is a positive upgrade versus the oem unit. If one can swing the CF unit....I think that would be the ultimate Airaid to have.

Wayne

on the same sized MAF diameter CFM wouldnt matter, thats the point of a MAF, to adjust fueling based on airflow. Also, the only way to be running rich is to have a MAF curve for a larger intake on a car with a smaller intake. For example, a car tuned for a 4" MAF diamter and only running a 3.5" intake would be running rich... incredibly rich. So the only way for that to make sense would mean the CF unit is in fact smaller than the plastic version. NOT pointing fingers here, just explaining some reasoning is all :)

My mother and i both had Air Raid CAI's on our m6 '13 5.0's and when i took my calipers to them there was almost like a 7-10mm difference... they were noticeibly not the same size. I'm not sure if Air Raid made two different versions (remember, the "no tune required" just has a MAF slot that reduces the diameter) and its just not common knowledge?

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around this. On the surface, it just sounds like an excuse for sending you the wrong tune.

Speaking from experience?

cam303

Established Member
I wanted the carbon version but it was at least an 8 week wait for it so I got the plastic one. I hate that the plastic has the sound tube provision that protrudes out and looks like crap. I will probably just order the carbon tube part and wait for it. Just the tube costs the same as the entire plastic kit!

Users who are viewing this thread