Airaid no-tune CAI tested on my 13' Boss for 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords magazine..

_Snake_

Established Member
on the same sized MAF diameter CFM wouldnt matter, thats the point of a MAF, to adjust fueling based on airflow. Also, the only way to be running rich is to have a MAF curve for a larger intake on a car with a smaller intake. For example, a car tuned for a 4" MAF diamter and only running a 3.5" intake would be running rich... incredibly rich. So the only way for that to make sense would mean the CF unit is in fact smaller than the plastic version. NOT pointing fingers here, just explaining some reasoning is all :)

My mother and i both had Air Raid CAI's on our m6 '13 5.0's and when i took my calipers to them there was almost like a 7-10mm difference... they were noticeibly not the same size. I'm not sure if Air Raid made two different versions (remember, the "no tune required" just has a MAF slot that reduces the diameter) and its just not common knowledge?

Speaking from experience?

Sorry. I'm not sure what you're asking. I think you wanted to know if I'd also received a similar explanation from AED in the past, and I haven't (I'm running a tune from a different company).

senderofan

Established Member
on the same sized MAF diameter CFM wouldnt matter, thats the point of a MAF, to adjust fueling based on airflow. Also, the only way to be running rich is to have a MAF curve for a larger intake on a car with a smaller intake. For example, a car tuned for a 4" MAF diamter and only running a 3.5" intake would be running rich... incredibly rich. So the only way for that to make sense would mean the CF unit is in fact smaller than the plastic version. NOT pointing fingers here, just explaining some reasoning is all :)

My mother and i both had Air Raid CAI's on our m6 '13 5.0's and when i took my calipers to them there was almost like a 7-10mm difference... they were noticeibly not the same size. I'm not sure if Air Raid made two different versions (remember, the "no tune required" just has a MAF slot that reduces the diameter) and its just not common knowledge?

Speaking from experience?

I appreciate what you're saying. I think if we had the capability to compare the tubes side by side....we'd be able to appreciate a difference in shape if not size. I'm sure Airaid has spent time and money to maximize flows for each....the CF version has just one port....where as the plastic has three ( sound tube, line for automatics, breather for pcv). This must upset the laminar airflow into the TB....and perhaps it therefore does not flow as well as the CF unit. Sorry...not an engineer...just trying to think back to grad school physics.

In any event, Shaun said he had two different base tunes....one for the CF unit and one for the plastic. With as many of these motors that he's tuned...I would never question the veracity of his statements. There must be a real world difference in flow between the two....and it seems to me that the CF version has a higher flow rate....at least with the 84.5mm TB and thus he adds more fuel for that intake. I found this interesting / unusual and thought I'd share it.....if it's a bunch bull...I apologize....but I respect the source the info. came from.

Wayne

Last edited:

RTD

Established Member
My '13 GT is completely stock with the exception the SW catback exhaust and Airaid CAI (stock tune).

On the stock tune, the Airaid CAI made an additional 8whp and 5wtq

Not trying to stir shit up again, but this seems FAR more plausible to me than the 23 hp claim for just the CAI on stock tune made by the op. Granted, Boss vs GT and Track Key in the mix, but still.

RTD

Established Member
Again, I want to make it clear that I'm not accusing anyone of anything. It's just that OP's results seem to contradict 3 years worth of results from everyone else.

OP went from 370 hp completely stock with the silver key to 409 hp with the red key + Airaid CAI + Accufab throttle body. 39 hp gain.

Here's what I'd like to see:

- Make 3 back to back runs at the drag strip with the silver key and everything else stock.
- Cool down the car.
- Make 3 back to back runs at the drag strip with the red key and no other changes except the CAI and TB.
- Take the average mph from each of the 2 tests.

If the second average shows a gain of 4 mph over the first average (assuming the first average is in line with what stock Bosses typically run) I will PayPal you $100 for your trouble and commit to buying that same CAI and TB (I already have Track Key) from GTR or whoever you choose.

Vista6019

Established Member
Again, I want to make it clear that I'm not accusing anyone of anything. It's just that OP's results seem to contradict 3 years worth of results from everyone else.

OP went from 370 hp completely stock with the silver key to 409 hp with the red key + Airaid CAI + Accufab throttle body. 39 hp gain.

Here's what I'd like to see:

- Make 3 back to back runs at the drag strip with the silver key and everything else stock.
- Cool down the car.
- Make 3 back to back runs at the drag strip with the red key and no other changes except the CAI and TB.
- Take the average mph from each of the 2 tests.

If the second average shows a gain of 4 mph over the first average (assuming the first average is in line with what stock Bosses typically run) I will PayPal you $100 for your trouble and commit to buying that same CAI and TB (I already have Track Key) from GTR or whoever you choose.

Dude you are taking this kind of personally aren't you?

RTD

Established Member
Dude you are taking this kind of personally aren't you?

Nope. Don't mean it that way. In fact, if I can pick up almost 40 hp WITHOUT a tune (since I have TK) or any exhaust work (since I have to pass inspection), I want to do this to my car. But I don't want to shell out a bunch of cash only to find that a tuneless CAI isn't worth anything (what most people have found) and that the TB is only worth 5 or so hp (again, typical result).

Fiveliterfox

Established Member
Airaid no-tune CAI tested on my 13' Boss for 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords mag...

If you go look on Bossmustangsonline, I have this same thread over there. Another guy did the same exact mods on his Boss and made even more power than I did. All without a tune. He posted his results in my thread.

RTD-

I have to ask... Do you think I'm creating these results fraudulently to deceive you? I can assure you that the results I posted are exactly what I say they are. I have no reason to post fake results or stretch the truth. Sounds like you need to try these bolt ons for yourself if you don't believe the data. Or else just accept it because you haven't tested it.

RTD

Established Member
If you go look on Bossmustangsonline, I have this same thread over there. Another guy did the same exact mods on his Boss and made even more power than I did. All without a tune. He posted his results in my thread.

RTD-

I have to ask... Do you think I'm creating these results fraudulently to deceive you? I can assure you that the results I posted are exactly what I say they are. I have no reason to post fake results or stretch the truth. Sounds like you need to try these bolt ons for yourself if you don't believe the data. Or else just accept it because you haven't tested it.

I don't think anyone is trying to deceive anyone.

But from my experience with the Boss and other cars, I do know that seemingly stupid shit can have an impact on dyno results. Like for example disconnecting the battery or pulling the PCM fuse can cause the PCM to restore timing that it had been pulling due to detected knock and thus show a jump in hp. Among other things.

senderofan

Established Member
O.k.....My latest info., from Shaun, says that the Cf version does flow better than the plastic...... But it does not yield any additional hp. Having said this...I will be striving to change from the plastic version versus to the CF tube. I think...the improved flow from the CF version and my exhaust changes might add something when combined.

Wayne

I'm amazed at the results from the no tune situation....I can only hope my accumulative is as impressive as the OP's......and I'm not questioning the veracity of the OP's numbers......it's just that I don't seem to gain as much as others do with the same circumstances.

I offer my 50% apology.....and hope to raise some understanding that the CF version flows better than the plastic. Sorry if I added to any confusion...you're dealing with a luddite...of major magnitude.

Last edited:

senderofan

Established Member
I am close to butting the bullet and buying them but it's $1200 for at best 30 hp.

I'm thinking my performance mods were just a tad over $2200. I'm hoping to achieve a 40-50 hp gain...running 91 octane non-oxygenated fuel. I still marvel at the gains that the OP got....perhaps I might realize more. In any event, the gains that I have now are significant to me and my driving style...part of that equation was a cai from Airaid. They also stepped up to the plate when I experienced a problem with rain....at the track....and they sent me a rain shield free of charge. This is a stand up company....and I would do business with them again in a heartbeat!

Wayne

senderofan

Established Member
O.K. There's a significant amount of differences between the plastic and CF versions. The CF version looks more streamlined and has one port. The plastic version has more indents and three ports. Thanks to my buddy for sharing his cf tube to illustrate the differences.

IMG_0767_zps38e77539.jpg

IMG_0768_zps8fe70f45.jpg

IMG_0769_zps4cc118cb.jpg

IMG_0771_zps02aa4ad2.jpg

Last edited:

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Ok 2 things.
1. most 100% stock Bosses make 385-395 rwhp on dynojet dynos. 370 sounds kinda low.
2. I never got an answer on the Check Engine Light question back on page one. My buddy has just a TB and gets CELs regularly.

Last edited:

Voltwings

Established Member
Ok 2 things.
1. most 100% stock Bosses make 385-395 rwhp on dynojet dynos. 370 sounds kinda low.
2. I never got an answer on the Check Engine Light question back on page one. My buddy has just a TB and gets CELs regularly.

1. It depends on the dyno, a bone stock boss could make 300 whp or 500 depending on how the dyno is loaded / calibrated. Obviously thats a bit of a hyperbole but my point remains the same, you cant get hung up on the numbers, only the delta to show gains.

2. little to no information given there buddy... is the CEL from the throttle body? What is the exact code? is the throttle body the only mod? What brand throttle body? need a lot more information than just "my friend has a check engine light."

JJJTMC

Established Member
So what is Air Raid sending with the CAI to prevent the filter from getting wet via the hood louvers, a shield or plug for the louvers or both?

Voltwings

Established Member
So what is Air Raid sending with the CAI to prevent the filter from getting wet via the hood louvers, a shield or plug for the louvers or both?

Theres threads on this, some people (myself included) have no issues with their Air Raid filter getting wet, but they do sell a lid for their shield. Its somewhat of an eyesore, but i guess if it gets the job done.

Fiveliterfox

Established Member
Ok 2 things.

I've heard from several sources out here that they've seen a majority of Bosses dyno between high 360's to low 370's stock. Using a dynojet. We are also limited to 91 octane here in California. I would imagine 93 octane would increase the numbers a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread