Airaid no-tune CAI tested on my 13' Boss for 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords magazine..

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I've heard from several sources out here that they've seen a majority of Bosses dyno between high 360's to low 370's stock. Using a dynojet. We are also limited to 91 octane here in California. I would imagine 93 octane would increase the numbers a bit.
I realize Dyno numbers are all based on that Dyno. Locally my stock boss dynoed 387 and 392 RWHP sae on two different Dynojets with the track key on 93..

So no CELs?

Fiveliterfox

Established Member
Never had a CEL.

I'm sure 91 vs 93 accounts for a majority of that HP difference. That would be an interesting test as well.

Like I had said, a guy on BMO made around 10rwhp more than I did with same mods. Its quite possible he was a 93...

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I was never doubting the gain... Just questioned the baseline number because what I've seen from my car.
If I could pick up 39rwhp with that set up I would be ecstatic!
The shop that lowered my car said I would be lucky to gain 40rwhp with headers/h-pipe cai and tune...

Last edited:

senderofan

Established Member
I've had problems with water getting into the intake system twice in the past 8 days. After the first incident I contacted Airaid, described what had happened and asked for the part number to the rain shield they have. The representative from Airaid sent a rain shield free of charge. My Boss really needs something to protect the intake from water.....wish mine was like others...that aren't bothered by water. But it's nice to know Airaid is a stand up company! I don't think the shield is that bad looking but to each their own.

IMG_0764_zps0563453a.jpg

IMG_0765_zpsfe62be8f.jpg

IMG_0766_zps44c26d01.jpg

cam303

Established Member
I wanted the carbon intake a couple of weeks ago when I ordered my intake but was told it was on backorder for at least 8 weeks so I ordered the plastic version. I was not happy to see that the plastic has the sound tube provision and requires the 60 degree coupler so it is not as straight and smooth of airflow as the carbon piece. Doing a search yesterday evening I noticed that the carbon tubes are now available so I ordered one and also a straight 4" coupler because I also have a 84.5 t body coming as well. When it all comes in I will try and do some back to back dyno testing on my local dyno to see the differences for everyone before installing my long tubes that I also ordered. My car does already have a cat back so that will be a slight difference and I do not have the track key because I plan on getting it custom tuned at rev auto after installing the long tubes.

Grant808

Established Member
O.K. There's a significant amount of differences between the plastic and CF versions. The CF version looks more streamlined and has one port. The plastic version has more indents and three ports. Thanks to my buddy for sharing his cf tube to illustrate the differences.

That doesn't really show the main differences for flow. I have both tubes, and the plastic tube is formed for the GT intake and TB angle and has a completely different alignment and like somebody noted above, needs a 60* coupler to make it work with the Boss intake. The CF intake is molded for the Boss intake and doesn't have the same restrictions because of the raised alignment and it has a much larger inner diameter past the MVT insert.

Basically, I wouldn't bother with the plastic tube with the Boss intake.

senderofan

Established Member
Basically, I wouldn't bother with the plastic tube with the Boss intake.

I agree 100%.....But there was a period of time that Airaid did not make any CF units. They instead recommended a plastic version that appears to be designed for a GT...that "Can work" on a Boss. unfortunately the only option I had was to purchase the plastic version, at that time. I suspect their are others out there in the same boat. Not sure how well "Slightly used cai's" sell. Guess that's about the only option once Airaid get the CF unit back on line and stocked.

senderofan

Established Member
Well.....Wasn't overly impressed with the plastic version...so found a carbon fiber cai and made the switch. It really is obvious that the Parnelli Jones model was designed specifically for vehicles that have the Boss intake. The clearances are spot on and the intake tube lines up absolutely perfect with the throttle body. Can't recommend the CF version enough!

Wayne

IMG_0776_zps8c2f900c.jpg

IMG_0777_zps2d4f95c8.jpg

65sohc

Established Member
Besides, its been proven the factory intake (and therefore MAF diameter) are hardly "restrictive" to begin with.

This is not accurate. The amount of restriction at the mouth of the TB is the sum of all the restrictions downstream. The MAF housing is but one element. Using a manometer I compared the negative pressure of the stock intake vs. a Steeda. I measured at the sound tube port which is within inches of the TB and would account for the majority of restriction. At WOT I measured 23 inches of water stock vs. 6 inches with the Steeda. 17 inches of water equates to approx. 0.6 psi. Therefore the stock intake creates 0.6 psi of "negative boost" as compared to a nonrestrictive intake.

Grant808

Established Member
This is not accurate. The amount of restriction at the mouth of the TB is the sum of all the restrictions downstream. The MAF housing is but one element. Using a manometer I compared the negative pressure of the stock intake vs. a Steeda. I measured at the sound tube port which is within inches of the TB and would account for the majority of restriction. At WOT I measured 23 inches of water stock vs. 6 inches with the Steeda. 17 inches of water equates to approx. 0.6 psi. Therefore the stock intake creates 0.6 psi of "negative boost" as compared to a nonrestrictive intake.

Great data, and it's nice to see a good explanation that's easy to understand.

Intense/CP

Taking Care of Business
Established Member
I've always used MAP readings on other vehicles while also measuring the atmospheric pressure at that moment. The difference is the restriction. The MAP reading was taken from the plenum.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
Many Boss owners (myself included) have spent $302 + Dealer In$tall to enable the TracKey feature and desire to keep it. An aftermarket tune would erase it. . .

Educate me. What does the track key do? Is it just a more aggressive tune that's activated with using the key?

Users who are viewing this thread