Airaid no-tune CAI tested on my 13' Boss for 5.0 Mustangs and Super Fords magazine..

senderofan

Established Member
A lot of changes to ECU parameters.....probably more changes than a guy can perceive. Most apparent are the Lopey Idle and engine braking. Track apps...nice...I never used them....too busy to mess around with on the track and too distracting on the street. Top aftermarket tuners can give a lopey idle and engine braking among other things. Seems like many things could be used to void a warranty these days....I switched to Redline tranny oil in my MT-82.....that would void the warranty. I removed the PCV set up....that would void the warranty. You wouldn't believe how much oil heads into the intake on these motors.

A guy just has to decide what is most important to him.....Warranty or upgrades. It's tough to battle Ford and their legions of lawyers if they have it in their heads that someone has violated ones warranty. Probably could be as simple as engine oils, oil filters etc. I purchased my Boss to enjoy it on the track and off. I have modified it to my liking...others my prefer stock....and I assume responsibility if it breaks. I happen to enjoy my AED tunes way more than Track Key.....YMMV. I will tell you that the RoadRunner is a different beast with some simple bolt-ons and tuning.

Wayne

Last edited:

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
A lot of changes to ECU parameters.....probably more changes than a guy can perceive. Most apparent are the Lopey Idle and engine braking. Track apps...nice...I never used them....too busy to mess around with on the track and too distracting on the street. Top aftermarket tuners can give a lopey idle and engine braking among other things. Seems like many things could be used to void a warranty these days....I switched to Redline tranny oil in my MT-82.....that would void the warranty. I removed the PCV set up....that would void the warranty. You wouldn't believe how much oil heads into the intake on these motors.

A guy just has to decide what is most important to him.....Warranty or upgrades. It's tough to battle Ford and their legions of lawyers if they have it in their heads that someone has violated ones warranty. Probably could be as simple as engine oils, oil filters etc. I purchased my Boss to enjoy it on the track and off. I have modified it to my liking...others my prefer stock....and I assume responsibility if it breaks. I happen to enjoy my AED tunes way more than Track Key.....YMMV. I will tell you that the RoadRunner is a different beast with some simple bolt-ons and tuning.

Wayne

I mean honestly they can void your warranty or just about anything. When the gtr's came out and people were blowing up the transmissions Nissan wouldn't warranty them because they said people were driving them too hard.

Jabooh1

Established Member
My dad also has a 2013 Laguna Seca. He blew up a transmission on Texas world Speedway and his engine at Circuit of the Americas. Both warrantied by Ford with no hassle.

It all depends on how you approach the situation and if you have done something that blatantly voids warranty.

senderofan

Established Member
My dad also has a 2013 Laguna Seca. He blew up a transmission on Texas world Speedway and his engine at Circuit of the Americas. Both warrantied by Ford with no hassle.

It all depends on how you approach the situation and if you have done something that blatantly voids warranty.

Now that's just plain bad luck. Was he stock or modified? Glad to hear that Ford warrantied his motor and tranny. I tried to have the battery replaced under warranty this spring...nothing but hassles...and I was very patient and polite. Guess it also has a lot to do with the dealership as well.

Wayne

senderofan

Established Member
Lopey idle and the more aggressive tuning.

I won't tune the car for another 20hp to lose my factory warranty. No thanks.

Yep....everyone that has made the leap and gone custom tunes and mods....has to weigh the cost / benefit ratio. It's not something to be taken lightly......but having said that...with simple bolt-ons and really good tuning.....the transformation is quite noticeable. It's nice to have options.......makes it easier to personalize ones vehicle....to ones tastes. From wheels and tires on up to forced induction......there's a pretty decent sized aftermarket out there for us.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
I thought they were really lightt. what part of Florida are you in?

Nothing is really light anymore lol... I weighed mine at 3580 with a full tank. When low on fuel its more like 3500.... not light, but compared to the competion it is.

CodyK7

Uh Ohhh
Established Member
Nothing is really light anymore lol... I weighed mine at 3580 with a full tank. When low on fuel its more like 3500.... not light, but compared to the competion it is.

Ya I guess with all the safety stuff they have to put in cars now. I really like the bosses though. I'd love to pick one up or just a regular 5.0 but my wife may kill me.

IamRacerX

No brand loyalty rhetoric here.
Established Member
Ya I guess with all the safety stuff they have to put in cars now. I really like the bosses though. I'd love to pick one up or just a regular 5.0 but my wife may kill me.
Just tell her it means a lot to you.... how could she say no if she loves you :)

senderofan

Established Member
But when I use the black key and before I got the Ford TracKey I could use the 0-60 and the accelerometer.

Yes...you're right. I should have said you lose the apps like Launch Control, Pit Speed.....ones that get added to the car when Track Key is installed. My bad!

Wayne

Users who are viewing this thread