Age and current time with your employer?

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I've hit a milestone with my employer and was also doing some reading about "the great resignation" and it got me thinking...

So last week I turned fifty and in a couple weeks I will have my 25th anniversary at my company, same job (which I love). I've never really sat down and thought about how I have spent half of my life doing what I do. I couldn't imagine working for someone else at this point, I actually plan to retire in less than 10 years. I'm way on the downside of my working career lol. Crazy.

I know 2020 threw a wrench into a lot of peoples plans, but can anyone here say they plan on the long run with their company? Or have a lot of years already. Am I the oddball?

Last edited:

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
I've been with the same company for 27 years. I, too, have about 10-12 years left (or 2.5 projects). My manager is retiring in the next couple years, and I've thought about taking his job and mentoring the younglings until the end.

4.698gt

Established Member
16 years and 35 years old. It has the normal ups and down but I like helping people so it works out. Pays the bills with some extra to save. 401k with matched contributions, discounted stock price, benefits blah blah blah. Grand father said you never build up wealth jumping job to job chasing dollar signs. Save what you can and invest it smart.

VegasMichael

Established Member
I've hit a milestone with my employer and was also some reading about "the great resignation" and it got me thinking...

So last week I turned fifty and in a couple weeks I will have my 25th anniversary at my company, same job (which I love). I've never really sat down and thought about how I have spent half of my life doing what I do. I couldn't imagine working for someone else at this point, I actually plan to retire in less than 10 years. I'm way on the downside of my working career lol. Crazy.

I know 2020 threw a wrench into a lot of peoples plans, but can anyone here say they plan on the long run with their company? Or have a lot of years already. Am I the oddball?
Hit my 30th year last year and retired. Same location for all 30.

ford fanatic

Four Eyed Freak
Established Member
I've been with the same company for 27 years. I, too, have about 10-12 years left (or 2.5 projects). My manager is retiring in the next couple years, and I've thought about taking his job and mentoring the younglings until the end.
How old? I could have got in a few years earlier but I was young and stupid lol.

Relaxed Chaos

Just another Gen X Hero
Established Member
Premium Member
How old? I could have got in a few years earlier but I was young and stupid lol.

Me? I'm 51 this month. ****, that's old.

I've had many opportunities to decide to stay or leave over the past near 3 decades (****, that makes it sound even longer). Knowing I can leave whenever I want must have helped my psyche endure the corporate BS. It also became obvious that the corporate BS is everywhere, and there is real value if you get to work with excellent people everyday.

Crimson2v

Established Member
Premium Member
41, just hit 9 years at my current employer yesterday. I was close to losing my job due to the covid crap the city implemented but I stuck with it and didn’t cave to the BS. I am now working on heavy equipment which was a promotion. I plan on retiring from here.

lOOKnGO

Keep'um smiling
Established Member
About a week away from 59. Self-employed most of my adult life. Drove myself to hard. Another GC hired me to super a job that turned into two. They seldom ever call, just random text or emails. I still have my business and customer base, but damn this gig is easy. Owner even gifted me 1k over Christmas. I haven't had a Christmas bonus in 35 years. The important thing is to enjoy what you worked for. Life's to short to hate your job. Skill pays a premium right now.

ToddW702

Established Member
44 years old and worked at the company that I now own for 12 years before I bought the company on 1/1/21. The previous owner wanted us all to get the jab. I told him no and that I wouldn’t ever do that and that he is a piece of shit for trying to pull that shit. About half the workers were on the same page as me and let the owner know. Then I just said **** it I wonder if he will sell me the company so i made an offer and he took it.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

BlackHrtStang

METAL!
Established Member
38 and been with my company for going on 16 years now. I do plan on leaving at some point to save my body. I work in a tire shop and allthough I love what I do like an full time wrench it takes a massive toll on the body. That's the only real reason I plan on leaving. Pay is pretty good for what the position is and the benefits are outsanding.

Sent from my SM-G781U using the svtperformance.com mobile app

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
37 and I've been with my current employer just a year and half. The new manager and I led the company to it's highest profits in 26 years in 2022 yet somehow I'm on thin ice it seems. All the owner does is bitch about us so I don't see myself being here forever which is a shame because I do like the place; pretty much everything but the owner, and that seems to be the sentiments of each employee as everyone groans and complains when he shows up.

Stanley

Established Member
Premium Member
I'm 45 and I'm on year 20 with my company. I'm going to talk to my tax people this year and see what writing off a shop as a company expense looks like. I want to leave my current job with my retirement and use my current side business to supplement my retirement.

Users who are viewing this thread