Aftermarket IRS Cover?

TRBO VNM

I believe a place called factory freaks had one out. they had issues with their first design and were supposed to have a new design out. but I never checked back with them.

Venimus03

Established Member
Didn't BilletFlow make like 10 of these or something??? I believe they were pretty expensive though....

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Probably one of the most overdue parts for our cars. Problem is the cost of design and manufacturing likely out weighs a decent return on investment.

F8LBITE

4xPerformanceParts
Established Member
Ah, I found ONE! I spoke with one of our manufactors and they have them.

LPW201-88IRS.gif

Yeah I remember the control freaks one then nothing ever came of it. I was looking for one for a customer. It's cool we can get them, I wish I had one back in the day.

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Nice find Tommy. I've been hoping someone would start to make one of these. I need one for the fox as well, although finding one for an 8.8 solid won't be a problem.

Group buy anyone?

F8LBITE

4xPerformanceParts
Established Member
Nice find Tommy. I've been hoping someone would start to make one of these. I need one for the fox as well, although finding one for an 8.8 solid won't be a problem.

Group buy anyone?

I could probably figure something out if we can get a bunch of them. PM me

wheelhopper

Established Member
^ I agree. The support brack made by nearly any manufacturer does a fine job for around $150 Unless they offer a little more fluid capacity and cooling fins, I would just stick with my BF brace.

I remember the control freaks cover. It was a POS

F8LBITE

4xPerformanceParts
Established Member
The retail price on the LPW is 219.00. It is thicker and stronger than the stocker and it is a support girdle for the rear end. It has the studs that support the main caps in the rear to keep the carrier from moving around. It's worth 60.00 more bucks than a brace. Same reason they make these for a solid axle. If it wasn't doing it's job everyone would have a cheap thin stock steel cover on their race car.

PistolWhip

Resident Man Dime
Established Member
The retail price on the LPW is 219.00. It is thicker and stronger than the stocker and it is a support girdle for the rear end. It has the studs that support the main caps in the rear to keep the carrier from moving around. It's worth 60.00 more bucks than a brace. Same reason they make these for a solid axle. If it wasn't doing it's job everyone would have a cheap thin stock steel cover on their race car.

In 1975 a marketing executive named Gary Dahl glued plastic eyes onto rocks and sold them for about $4.00 each. He was a millionaire in a matter of 6 months. At the time it was said that at least one "pet rock" could be found in more than 75% of the houses and offices through out the country. That certainly doesn't mean that the "pet rock" was a useful or worthwhile purchase.

I'm not debating weather or not a diff girdle is better than a brace, I just don't agree with your logic that if allot of people have it, it must work.
Personally in an 8.8 solid rear, I think diff girdles are more worth their cost in their flatter, leak free mating surfaces than in their ability to correct differential deflection. If two nodular iron caps bolted to a nodular iron housing, with four 15mm coarse thread grade 8 bolts decides its going to deflect or flex, two little allen bolts threaded into aluminum isn't going to stop it. However, like I said, there is something to be said for the strength and consistency of the mating surface.

F8LBITE

4xPerformanceParts
Established Member
In 1975 a marketing executive named Gary Dahl glued plastic eyes onto rocks and sold them for about $4.00 each. He was a millionaire in a matter of 6 months. At the time it was said that at least one "pet rock" could be found in more than 75% of the houses and offices through out the country. That certainly doesn't mean that the "pet rock" was a useful or worthwhile purchase.

I'm not debating weather or not a diff girdle is better than a brace, I just don't agree with your logic that if allot of people have it, it must work.
Personally in an 8.8 solid rear, I think diff girdles are more worth their cost in their flatter, leak free mating surfaces than in their ability to correct differential deflection. If two nodular iron caps bolted to a nodular iron housing, with four 15mm coarse thread grade 8 bolts decides its going to deflect or flex, two little allen bolts threaded into aluminum isn't going to stop it. However, like I said, there is something to be said for the strength and consistency of the mating surface.

So you don't think the rear mains will flex? Why do you think they make High dollar billet caps. The diff supports put a load on the center of the cap. They do work and my opinion of a lot of people have it so it must work is not a random opinion. It's fact. Geez. always a hater.

TRBO VNM

So you don't think the rear mains will flex? Why do you think they make High dollar billet caps. The diff supports put a load on the center of the cap. They do work and my opinion of a lot of people have it so it must work is not a random opinion. It's fact. Geez. always a hater.

+1. I had a main cap break in my IRS pumpkin. Result-replace half shaft, gears, whole pumpkin and diff. that flex took out the whole thing and cost a pretty penny to replace. the IRS brace won't stop that. main cap preload at least would have given it a chance.

Screamin Cobra

Slam'd Cam'd Z06
Established Member
Why do we need one of these at an outrageous price when a BF brace keeps them from shattering?

I've heard of quite a few situations of the covers breaking with the brace on it. It can break just as easy with the brace on, just a matter of time. Other than that, I could definitely see where you were coming from!

Users who are viewing this thread